UP fitness bracelet by Jawbone (I'm impressed)

Started by Stonewall, April 23, 2013, 10:33:53 AM

Stonewall

I would never spend money on a device, diet plan, or exercise equipment.  But I'll sure as hell win it!

My gym had a health fair on Saturday where I put my name in to win a big flat screen and some sort of "health tracker wrist band".  Unfortunately I did not win the TV, so we'll stick with our one 32" TV that's 11 years old.  I did win the UP by Jawbone.  I had no idea what it was, nor had I heard of it.  Before I opened it I Googled it to see the cost, about $129 on average.  Not enough to go through the effort of selling it on eBay so I tried it out.

It attaches to your iPhone (I'm assuming any smartphone) and download a free app.  You input your information (height, weight, age, gender, etc.) and throw it on your wrist and don't take it off except to sync it (recommended twice a day) and charge about every 10 days.  It does everything from monitoring your steps per day to your sleep patterns.  I don't even fully understand it just yet, but it's pretty badass.  You also input your food intake by either entering it manually or scanning the bar codes on the packages.  If you want, you can manually enter physical activities (workouts), but it knows when you're doing vigorous activity by your heart rate (I assume).

You guys are smarter than me, so look into it.  I don't know much about fitness devices, etc., but since I got this free, I took the time to check it out.  The only issue I see is that I won't want to wear it all the time.  It kind of looks awkward, but for now I like it.

A gear queer, yes. A gadget guy, no. But I am absolutely impressed with this new UP bracelet I won at my gym. I'll admit, I wouldn't have bought this, but now that I got it, I think it's the bee's knees!

Yesterday's nutrition stats:
- Consumed just under 2,000 calories
- Ate 113% RDA of fiber (This is really good)
- Ate 131% RDA of carbs
- 22g of sugar for 26% (really good)
- 105g of protein for 105% (not so good)
- Under on all the other bad stuff (good)

*Note on nutritional intake:  I was heavy on the carbs today because I had two servings of spaghetti for dinner, which is not typical.  However, it was high fiber (Dreamfields) pasta.

Yesterday's fitness stats:
- Over 13,000 steps taken, 7.2 miles (including my workout)
- Burned over 2,300 calories (active & resting)
- Goal was more than met at 131%

Last nights sleep stats:
- Time selpt 5h 52m
- Up once (to pee)
- Fell asleep in 26 min
- Deep sleep 4h 17m
- Light sleep 1h 35m
- Sleep goal not met at 83%
Serving since 1987.

BFreemanMA

That IS pretty neat. Granted, it's a bit out of my budget as new, but I wonder if I could snag a used one. Thanks for letting us know about it!
Brian Freeman, Capt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer
Westover Composite Squadron

Walkman

A few years ago Wired had an issue focused on metrics & data and the cover story was about Nike+iPod. The main point was that tracking one's health data lead to an continuous improvement overall on diet & exercise.

Stonewall

Another cool thing is that it has a list of food items to pick from, but let's say you use a specific type of bread (like me), you can scan the product's bar code and it'll automatically add the nutritional value to your database. From now on, if I add that I had a slice of "my bread", it'll add accurate nutritional value.
Serving since 1987.

Tim Medeiros

I just may need to adjust my budget over the next month to get this... I should probably ask if I can wear it at work though (they get antsy about bringing electronic devices in the building).
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

Devil Doc

I use the Apps on my Droid. I use on called MyFitnessPal to track to my Caloric Intake and Input Exercise Calories Burned. Then I usethe App Sport Tracker. It tracks were I walk, the Distance and Time and gives calories burned.  If I buy the heart rate monitor it does that also and plugs into my phone, but im a Cheap Bastard for that. The Results? Ive been walking/Jogging with my CAP Day Pack for the past 2 weeks, drinking nothing but Water and Little Cofee. Im going to do this for 3 more weeks.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Devil Doc

Quote from: Tim Medeiros on April 23, 2013, 05:13:53 PM
I just may need to adjust my budget over the next month to get this... I should probably ask if I can wear it at work though (they get antsy about bringing electronic devices in the building).

Electronic Devices in your Building? Really?  You must work for like Area 51 or something, lol.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: Devil Doc on April 23, 2013, 06:24:23 PM
Quote from: Tim Medeiros on April 23, 2013, 05:13:53 PM

Electronic Devices in your Building? Really?  You must work for like Area 51 or something, lol.
Nope, but it feels like it sometimes lol
1577/2811

Devil Doc

My Work dosnt like when I bring in a Scanner, and some other items, but there all Legal!!
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Tim Medeiros

There are signs saying that electronic devices (especially those that are wireless) are not authorized in my building, nor the other main building I go to.  However, it is understandable considering the type of information that can be available in said buildings.
1577/2811

Private Investigator

That would be a nice birthday gift for my wife. She likes electronic stuff.   :angel:

Thanks for sharing.

Stonewall

I do like this bracelet.  I am not an advocate of fad (temporary) diets, home fitness equipment, or electronic fitness trackers or apps, but since I got this for free (won it in a drawing) I decided to use it and I am impressed.  The only down fall to it so far is that I'm obsessed with it after just 3 1/2 days. 

Like diets (think Atkins, or South Beach, etc), you can only put up with them for so long.  It's not a lifestyle change, but rather a temporary one.  I'd suck start my Glock if I found myself focusing on this bracelet a year down the road.  I suppose it could get you into a routine and then you could continue your new routine without the bracelet.  But for now, I'm using it as a tool.  I don't see myself wearing this for life.

That said, I met 98% of my sleep goal, according to my UP.  My goal is to sleep 7 hours a night and I hit 6h 51m, with 2h 3m in light sleep, and 4h 47m in deep sleep.  Took me 18m to fall asleep and I woke up 1 time.

The previous night I had less time in bed, but had more deep sleep, and felt better rested.  Interesting stuff for sure.

Yesterday I moved 8.9 miles, burned a combined 2,865 calories, and consumed about 2,500 calories.  Only "bad" stuff I went over on was sodium.
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

In an effort to figure out the walking distance around the building where I work (212,000 sq ft) I used my pace count (military land navigation) to calculate the distance in meters (650) then converted it to miles. It is 0.4 miles around the exterior of the building. I usually only walk it once, but I think I'll double it up. I probably walk a mile within the building each day, if not, more.

This fitness wrist band has me crazy curious about walking habits and calorie burn. According to some study, the average American adult takes roughly 6,000 steps per day, averaging about 3 miles. My minimum goal is 10,000 steps per day, which isn't difficult considering the amount of cardio I do at the gym every day. So far, I've exceeded 15,000 steps per day this week.
Serving since 1987.

Майор Хаткевич

I hate you sir. Mine is arriving in the mail today. Fiancee wants one as well.

Pylon

Quote from: usafaux2004 on April 24, 2013, 01:39:20 PM

Slowly, they will all be roped in...  :clap: 8) >:D
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Pylon on April 24, 2013, 01:45:40 PM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on April 24, 2013, 01:39:20 PM

Slowly, they will all be roped in...  :clap: 8) >:D

I'll be kicking myself if smart watches do the same thing...

a2capt

LOL, and if you had won the TV.. you'd be warming the couch, instead, this has you warming from within, while you burn .. ;)

..and they sold a few more.