Need help creating Squadron Website

Started by SAR-EMT1, March 06, 2007, 08:32:52 AM

mdickinson

Quote from: Murp on June 18, 2007, 04:49:17 AM
- Keep it REALLY simple
[...]
With that in mind - using iWeb from Apple (start cursing me now) - I created this website:
http://www.group22.net/pwk/

Murp,

First, very nice web site. Looks clean, simple, and clear.
you are right on target with the advice about leaving out any information that will lead the website to become dated when it is (inevitably) left without maintenance for months at a time.

A few suggestions:

1. it's "Unit locator" (not locater)

2. The diffuse gray font you're using for "Chicago Executive Airport "  and "unit locater" is hard to read. replace it with some sort of font that is legible even when not moused over.

3. when i clicked on "join", the new page (join) appeared as a jumbled mess for a few moments, then gradually (slowly) sorted itself out. Seems like there is much too much code there for such a straightforward page - that's probably why it takes so long to load. Your own advice "keep it simple" should help here.

Murph

Malcom,
Thanks for the constructive advice and spelling fixes!  I get those mixed up all the time.

As for the fonts I'm having a hell of a time getting iWeb to listen to the color setting on those - very odd.

Unfortunately because iWeb converts all of the text to graphics the load times can be a bit sluggish (especially from our server) - I don't mind sacrificing speed for quality.

Thanks again for the advice.

BTW - my screen name was supposed to be "Murph" not "Murp" - any way to change that?  Thanks!

MIKE

Quote from: Murp on June 19, 2007, 07:15:07 PM
BTW - my screen name was supposed to be "Murph" not "Murp" - any way to change that?  Thanks!

I think you can change it in your profile... If not, Pylon or Whatevah should be able to hook you up with the fix.
Mike Johnston

Murph

MIKE

You may still need to log in as "Murp" though, not sure how it works exactly.
Mike Johnston

mdickinson

re: http://www.williamsportcap.org - that's a great looking site!

I liked this picture particularly. Is it just me, or is this hilarious?

"Hm, there's an ELT going off around here somewhere... locating them can be tough. Maybe I can find it using this DF unit!"

(Look in the background)  ::)

RogueLeader

Quote from: mdickinson on June 20, 2007, 08:35:52 PM
re: http://www.williamsportcap.org - that's a great looking site!

I liked this picture particularly. Is it just me, or is this hilarious?

"Hm, there's an ELT going off around here somewhere... locating them can be tough. Maybe I can find it using this DF unit!"

(Look in the background)  ::)
The DF says that it is not to the left or right, so it MUST be in front, right ???
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

SarDragon

It works better when the antennae are all vertical, too. Them's ain't TV rabbit ears.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Spacecenter

Just a couple of ideas.

1-See if your Wing provides hosting. Here in California our crack Wing MIS Section does. Our Wing provided (sub) domain name is: http://sq40.cawg.cap.gov

2-Do as the Syracuse Unit did (and us too), register a shorter domain name and redirect to the Wing provided site or whatever free server you may be using. Our webmaster (a new member-great guy Rene Caderon) took it upon himself to register www.CAPFullerton.com which redirects to the Wing provided site.

3-Something we didn't do (yet)-purchase domain masking for the site. That means that in our case "www.CAPFullerton.com" would show instead of "http://sq40.cawg.cap.gov". This allows you to use various free pages but still have your domain show at all times. If you want to see how web masking works you can go to my personal business site www.USALP.com. I own the domain but the company I represents provides the content due to various ABA and State compliance regulations. With web masking I maintain my "brand identification" and professional image.

4-Do not under any circumstances use any ad-supported pages. I say again, Do not under any circumstances use any ad-supported pages. This is very unprofessional. However-if a business provides you with free hosting it is ok for a small mention of this to be on the very bottom of your home-page. Many times a member will allow you to host your pages on their web site.

5-The webmaster should not be responsible for content. This is actually a Public Affairs responsibility. Let two (or more) different people be responsible for different duties. Webmaster builds it-PA with input and assistance provides content.

6-Don't wait for Commander's approval to do things. If you are tasked with doing the page-Do It! Get some help but just do it. If the Commander wants to micro-manage it let him or her do it. We are an organization of professional volunteers.

7-Be professional. As someone else has said it is better to have no page rather than an outdated or bad page. This may be the first contact someone has with your unit, let's make it a good one.

8-Keep a clean, easy to read design. No reverses or weird colors. While dark red type on a navy blue background may seem cool, it's hard to read due to the lack of contrast. Remember-this is for information, not your entertainment or ego.

9-Get the website out there. Put it on your recruiting materials, Press Releases, signs. If you do any community events make sure it is on your display boards-even if it's a "borrowed" aircraft or vehicle.

10-Look at different squadron's pages for ideas. There is a lot of great stuff out there. We found the gridded chart link online on some other unit's web pages. It's a great tool.

11-Give full photo credit and copyright statement on photos (I see we need to do that on some new pics). Members deserve credit and it may stop someone from using it commercially without attribution.

Our squadron site is an ongoing journey. We will be relocating some links to a members only page, and updating the news, but it is a good start.

1LT Matt Scherzi
04434 (hey-I'm old)
CAWG Squadron 40

CA434 Since 1991

dwb

Quote from: Murph on June 19, 2007, 07:15:07 PMUnfortunately because iWeb converts all of the text to graphics the load times can be a bit sluggish (especially from our server) - I don't mind sacrificing speed for quality.

I do.  :-\  Why would you intentionally make your page load slower?  I know you like the fonts with the spiffy effects, but I still recommend you go with real text for the paragraphs instead of images.

BTW, my standard web page advice: http://syracusecap.org/info/siteinfo.html

I should add "pick a good domain name" to the list of tips.

Don't use your charter number as a domain name, because no one outside of CAP understands what that number means.  Obviously I'm a fan of using "center of geographic region" in a domain (e.g., syracusecap, because Syracuse is the major city near our unit).  I also like using a domain name that you can speak, and people won't get confused.  Avoid hyphens if possible, for that reason.