Need help creating Squadron Website

Started by SAR-EMT1, March 06, 2007, 08:32:52 AM

SAR-EMT1

Ok,  my unit Commander recently polled the Seniors and requested that we resurrect the idea of a unit website.
I somehow got the job, but i honestly have no idea of how to begin... probably want to follow the KISS method.   Any IT or webmaster types care to give me some advice Id be absolutely thrilled.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Pumbaa

Get your domain and linux host account with PhP on GoDaddy (godaddy.com) It's free to host but you have an ad at the top.  Use it that way while developing.  Then when ready to turn it on, pay the $3 a month to be 110-1 compliant (no ads)... Get Joomla content Managment Website (Open Source/ Free joomla.com)

This way you can have a lot of features, change content quickly and easily and have multiple people maintain the site.  Much easier to do that than only one person.

Al Sayre

If you aren't real computer savvy, set up a gmail account for your squadron and then you get a free website at google pages. com.  They use a wysiwyg tempate that's pretty intuitive and easy to deal with.  Heres one I set up for my squadron. http://serms100.googlepages.com

I purposly did not include a bunch of graphics since a lot of our members are still on dial-up and graphics slow the load time.  I also didn't re-invent the wheel, if a site already has good info on it that you can use, just put a link in.  See what you think.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Lancer

That's sharp Al. Clean, simple, easy to navigate.

I keep forgetting about Googlepages...I should share that with the CAP web-neophytes that are in need of a site.

I'll have to agree with 2nd LT Fairchild's choice of CMS software. Joomla is 'the poo'. Very well done as well...I'm currently in the process of setting up our new group site and squadron site with Joomla. Can't wait to get them done.

RiverAux

Don't forget to get Wing approval and read the internet reg for the proper statements that need to be on the site. 

The main thing to remember is to either make the site generic enough (this is who we are and what we do) that if you don't update it for a while no one can tell OR if you're going to be posting news stories, newsletters, etc. you and the rest of the staff need to make a strong committment to updating it regularly.  Personally I think it is worse to have a website with a 6-month old-story on it than it is not to have a web site at all.

Al Sayre

Quote from: mlcurtis69 on March 06, 2007, 01:32:46 PM
That's sharp Al. Clean, simple, easy to navigate.

I keep forgetting about Googlepages...I should share that with the CAP web-neophytes that are in need of a site.

I'll have to agree with 2nd LT Fairchild's choice of CMS software. Joomla is 'the poo'. Very well done as well...I'm currently in the process of setting up our new group site and squadron site with Joomla. Can't wait to get them done.

Thanks

The other good part about the Google stuff is it's free, and "it's so easy to use even a caveman can do it"  ;D :D
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

JC004

Quote from: Al Sayre on March 06, 2007, 01:56:45 PM
and "it's so easy to use even a caveman can do it"  ;D :D

::makes offended caveman face::

Also, this caveman recommends Nvu for page editing if you don't use a content management system.  It's free:  http://www.nvu.com/index.php

Eclipse

Site content:

Make the site about YOUR unit / echelon / events.

Don't repost info, pubs, or recruiting information which already exists on NHQ's site - it'll always be more current there and duplicating the effort is a waste.

Photos, photos, photos.

Make sure your graphics are clean, jag-free, properly scaled, and color correct.

Hosting:

If you pay more than $10 a month anywhere, its a waste.  For $5-10 a month you should ge GB's of storage, unlimited POPs, unlimited email alias', unrestricted, easily managed list servs, FTP, and all the CMS systems (.php, CGI, etc.).

Be careful of the cheap domain registrars - they generally require hosting agreement and you don't save much in the end.

Free sites with ads, or that insert advertising to your emails are annoying and unprofessional - i.e. Yahoo Groups, AOL, etc.

Being 110-1 compliant is more than just no ads.

Don't bother with .gov domain - it is WAY more trouble than its worth. If you take the time and jump through the hoops to get the domain name itself that's one thing, but DON'T host on the CAP webservers.  You will pay way too much for no services and a lifetime of headaches.

"That Others May Zoom"

LtCol Hooligan

I took a look at the ever fabulous NHQ KB and found the following information for you.  It is not the largest website space in the world, but it would get you started.

There is only minimal guidance in CAPR 110-1 concerning unit web sites. As for web space, most units have an Earthlink account already setup (Region+wing+unit charter number@earthlink.net; example: nerny123@earthlink.net). In addition to the 8 email accounts associated with it, it also can have a 10MB website at no additional charge. That should be enough to get you started. You can check with your unit commander about using this option. The Earthlink account also comes with 24/7 technical support (basic support info is at this link Earthlink Support Center; website information is at this link EarthLink WebSpace. With the username and password, the Earthlink tech support http://kb.earthlink.net/case.asp?article=4583 will be happy to help with both email and web questions.
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.ndcap.us

arajca

Quote from: Eclipse on March 06, 2007, 02:38:09 PM
Site content:

Make the site about YOUR unit / echelon / events.

Don't repost info, pubs, or recruiting information which already exists on NHQ's site - it'll always be more current there and duplicating the effort is a waste.
Do provide a link to the appropriate pubs page.

QuotePhotos, photos, photos.

Make sure your graphics are clean, jag-free, properly scaled, and color correct.
Provide thumbnails where possible, especially for large pictures. Not everyone has high speed. Many folks who don't have high speed won't wait for pictures to load, they'll write off your site and go somewhere else.

QuoteHosting:
Don't bother with .gov domain - it is WAY more trouble than its worth. If you take the time and jump through the hoops to get the domain name itself that's one thing, but DON'T host on the CAP webservers.  You will pay way too much for no services and a lifetime of headaches.
That depends on your wing's policies. In CO, all unit websites are required to be hosted on the wing server, which is provided for free to the units, and is actually donated and maintained by a member who has a web hosting company. He has an excellent record of keeping the servers up and secure. After a number of unit websites were hacked, the COWG/CC set the policy of using the wing servers exclusively.

Also, each unit has an Earthlink account provided by National. You can use that to host your website or just for development. The unit's cost is $0.00.

SAR-EMT1

Ok.. I talked to the CC about our options and your ideas thus far.
Seems the general idea is that the option of using a Wing provided Earthlink program is better / safer since we are just getting started.
He will contact someone at Wing and get back to me in a day or so hopefully with the info I need from the regs regarding websites.

The one thing I am afraid of is being named PAO at the end of this  ;D
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

Eclipse

Wing does not provide the Earthlink accounts - you need to contact NHQ for that, assuming your Unit CC does not already have the access.

The person's name is: Karen Jacobs KJACOBS@capnhq.gov.

Ibelieve you will need to be the /CC to get the info.

The accounts are generally a derivitive of the unit number.

"That Others May Zoom"

A.Member

Does your ISP allow for free hosting of personal web pages?  (most do) 

If so, and assuming you're not using it for yourself, that's a potential option too.  My service provider allows for free 25MB as part of my basic service.  Sure, I can't get a fancy domain name like captalk.net but it's not bad - and it works.  Best of all, there are no ads and I can create my own site the way I want (templates are provided for those that don't know better but you're not forced to use them). 

This is an effective, low cost approach to get a basic site established and you'd be surprised how much you can get into 25MB when designed correctly. 
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Lancer

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on March 06, 2007, 08:30:02 PM

Hey now...  ;D Some of us like being PAO...hehehe

CAP428

If you're really new to web stuff, you can go to www.freewebs.com.  They have some great looking templates that are easy to make (and free).

They automatically give you a www.freewebs.com/_(your site name)___  address, but if you want your own, simple address, you can go to www.tk.com  and get a free domain (  www.__your name__.tk  ).

Another option if you want something really easy and simple to update:  use a blog.

www.blogger.com  has some nice templates and you can easily post news stories, photos, etc. and keep it up to date and clutter free very easily.

dwb

I usually hold my squadron's web site up as an example of a CAP site that I think is decent: http://syracusecap.org  Simple layout and content, relatively up-to-date.  I have some critiques (I don't have recent staff or activity pictures on there), but generally I'm pretty happy with it.

I'm of the opinion that squadrons don't necessarily need a web site.  Given what some unit web sites look like, it's sometimes better to have nothing at all.

That said, I do have a few recommendations:

1. Pay for hosting.  Free hosting sites leave you with difficult-to-remember URLs, will often place ads on your pages, and don't provide any guarantee of speedy page loads.

2. Don't use Joomla, or any other content management software in Joomla's ilk.  Those products are geared toward making a content web site, like an online magazine.  You want a simple face to the Internet public, use simple tools (plain HTML).

3. Get someone who knows what they're doing.  Everyone's first web site stinks.  You should have seen the piece of crap I cobbled together for my old squadron on Geocities in 1996.  Fortunately, I was one of probably three people in the squadron with Internet access, so the damage was minimal.  If this is your first foray into making a web site, find a senior member or cadet that can help.

Eclipse

Quote from: justin_bailey on March 06, 2007, 09:47:34 PM
2. Don't use Joomla, or any other content management software in Joomla's ilk.  Those products are geared toward making a content web site, like an online magazine.  You want a simple face to the Internet public, use simple tools (plain HTML).

I disagree there - CMS is the only way to go, and Joomla is my #1 choice.

Once configured, the sites are easy to use, easy to update, and offer way less hassle than flat html.

There is a learning curve, but if you're going to take the time anyway, you might as well learn the current technology.

The out of the box templates suit most basic users, and the ones you can get from the foundries are excellent.

"That Others May Zoom"

floridacyclist

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on March 06, 2007, 08:30:02 PM
Ok.. I talked to the CC about our options and your ideas thus far.
Seems the general idea is that the option of using a Wing provided Earthlink program is better / safer since we are just getting started.
He will contact someone at Wing and get back to me in a day or so hopefully with the info I need from the regs regarding websites.

The one issue I know of with Earthlink is that the CAP accounts are somewhat limited in what features you can use. We were developing ours to use Server Side includes, but they said not without paying extra.

You can see what I have under development so far at http://www.nettally.com/captlh and would welcome feedback - Please don't tell me about the broken links, I know about those already and am working as fast as I can :)

Note the icon under the menubar on the left....weee doan need no steenkeeng editors or managers  ;D
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

baronet68

Quote from: floridacyclist on March 06, 2007, 10:21:09 PMNote the icon under the menubar on the left....weee doan need no steenkeeng editors or managers  ;D

Oh, I like that.  I too use notepad almost exclusively to build my squadron's site.

One easy tool for newbies making web pages is to use MS Office or Excel to build the pages because it's something most people are already familiar with.  Then, select the "save as... Web Page Filtered (.html)" so that it will remove all of the garbage (I mean Microsoft-specific) html tags and meta data so that the pages will work on almost any browser.
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

dwb

Quote from: Eclipse on March 06, 2007, 10:03:17 PMOnce configured, the sites are easy to use, easy to update, and offer way less hassle than flat html.

The trade-off is that Joomla sites all look the same, you need to have PHP and MySQL available on your web host, and gawd help you if you want to change the layout or style of the site.  I hate diving in to PHP, and I write software for a living!

I've done the CMS thing, and I've done the plain HTML thing, and for a simple web site, it really is best to use simple tools.

Lancer

Quote from: justin_bailey on March 07, 2007, 01:04:46 AM
The trade-off is that Joomla sites all look the same, you need to have PHP and MySQL available on your web host, and gawd help you if you want to change the layout or style of the site.  I hate diving in to PHP, and I write software for a living!

I've done the CMS thing, and I've done the plain HTML thing, and for a simple web site, it really is best to use simple tools.

Joomla sites only 'all look the same' because you have people who don't really know what they're doing putting them together. Then there are some that are simply outstanding. Joomla is good for squadron's who have someone knowledgeable about systems such as this.

The bottom line with any website is that it presents the information it should impart in a clean, simple and easy to navigate fashion, be of service to it's members and visitors and be updated regularly to reflect the activities surrounding the group. How you go about that, is entirely up to you.

I just came across another CMS system that is template, not database driven and only requires PHP, is nice and small and easy to use. Plus there are a myriad of templates available for it. Check it out.

http://www.cmsimple.dk/

Eclipse

I'll leave the technical discussion about the platform for another day, arguing IT tools is like arguing sports teams...

One thing I should have mentioned though is to have a plan.

Put some meetings together with the unit staff and hash out what you want to actually DO withthe site, who will contribute content, etc.

TIme and again, myself included, I have seen people spend gobs of time on site design, only to have the site die because no one will update the calendar, contribute content, etc.

If a tree falls in the woods, and no one clicks the icon....

"That Others May Zoom"

SAR-EMT1

Wow... :o
More about web design in this thread then Ive ever knew existed.

I've started organizing some things on paper. But Im still waiting on my CC to make the official calls.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

captrncap

Can someone recommend a web hosting company? It doesn't have to be free.

Is it worth finding a host that supports MS Access since I would like us SIMS (password protected) on the site?

What is MySQL comprared to MS Access?

SarDragon

Quote from: captrncap on June 10, 2007, 09:44:37 PM

Is it worth finding a host that supports MS Access since I would like us SIMS (password protected) on the site?

What is MySQL comprared to MS Access?

I'm doing a site on Fat Cow right now, and I like them. It's @ $10/month.

As for the M$ products Q, Fat Cow is a Unix/Linux server using Apache, with PHP and MySQL capabilities. From what I've seen, MySQL is equal to or better than Access, but I'm not an expert. You might go to the Fat Cow home and see if they have capabilities for M$ ASP, etc. I'm not sure you can run both on the same server.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

BillB

Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

mdickinson

Quote from: captrncap on June 10, 2007, 09:44:37 PM

I have had good experiences with

- readyhosting.com
- pair.com
and also with my current hosting provider, www.dreamhost.com
Dreamhost is every bit as good as the first two - but much cheaper - it's only $8 per month.
They let you host an unlimited number of domains(!) - and up to 3000 email accounts - at no extra charge. That's how I came to host so many sites - cause I'm always offering "I can host it for free..." to any organization I'm involved in.

And if you sign up by going to http://www.dreamhost.com/r.cgi?96763 , they'll give me a free month. Thanks :-)

RiverAux

Wow, that is a pretty good deal.  Rest assured when our current contract runs out, I'm going to be doing some shopping.  We're getting hosed!

stillamarine

If I may suggest:

http://www.cityscapesolutions.net/

The owner is a friend of mine up in WI, good guy gives good reliable quotes and also I believe said that CAP will qualify for a Not for profit discount.

Tell him I sent ya.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

alamrcn

STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Before you start fooling around with [Insert Suggested Brand] web authoring program, go figure out the fundamentals of HTML... the most basic language of the Internets, and it is so easy. Google "HTML Basics" or similar and you'll be off and running in no time.

If the first experience of creating a website are using these basics, you will be able to tweak your "drag and drop" websites made by an authoring program later. If you know how HTML works, it's easier to "borrow" code from other websites when you see something you'd like on your site.

I suggest the above VERY strenuously! The following, however, is only a light hearted opinion of mine...

DO use Wing or Region provided server space first, or the Earthlink option through National second. Don't host a unit website with a provider that is dependant on an individual's continuing membership in CAP or their personal home internet provider. This isn't stable.

Using the Wing or Region server gives you a commonsenical URL name too. If you MUST register a domain name, register it for as long as your unit can afford - and leave the information regarding this in your will or a time capsule... ;)  so when the domain has to be re-registered 20 years from now, you're not trying to track down Lt Bob for the GoDaddy.com user name and password!

- Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

JC004

Quote from: alamrcn on June 12, 2007, 06:43:26 PM
STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Before you start fooling around with [Insert Suggested Brand] web authoring program, go figure out the fundamentals of HTML... the most basic language of the Internets, and it is so easy. Google "HTML Basics" or similar and you'll be off and running in no time.

If the first experience of creating a website are using these basics, you will be able to tweak your "drag and drop" websites made by an authoring program later. If you know how HTML works, it's easier to "borrow" code from other websites when you see something you'd like on your site.

Nice interweb code info here: http://www.w3schools.com/

Murph

Not that I really want to insert myself into this discussion - but - I just created my units website with the following ideas in mind:

- Keep it REALLY simple

- If you have to update it more than once a year - and you don't have a dedicated unit "webmaster" it will most likely become out of date (we all know we have more important things to do)

- Unit Websites are most often "first touch" forms of recruiting.  As a person who uses the web for business a lot, I know what a good website looks like.  A well designed website conveys professionalism

- Talk about YOUR capabilities - not the CAPabilities of other units

With that in mind - using iWeb from Apple (start cursing me now) - I created this website:

http://www.group22.net/pwk/

The only part of this that requires regular updates is the blog - which has multiple authors within the unit - so it doesn't rely on me, the unit commander, to update.

That's my 2 cents on unit web sites.

dwb

Nice job, your web site looks very nice.

If I had one critique, it would be that all the text is actually images.  This may be an iWeb thing, as a way to preserve the pretty fonts, but it makes the page take a long time to load.

Use paragraphs of text instead.  Otherwise, the design is excellent.  Very colorful and vibrant.

Tubacap

True a website is great for first touch recruiting, but ours is also a portal to all the NHQ things that I would like our members to have quick access to.

Does anyone have an answer on hosted Microsoft Access for SIMS?  On the flip side, I believe that all cadet progression is to be tracked by eServices soon.
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

RogueLeader

Very professional looking.  Is there a way that you could put a way for the pictures could be viewed larger, like a photo page, where you can get a bigger picture?  But again, very nice job.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

alamrcn

Quote from: Murp on June 18, 2007, 04:49:17 AM
With that in mind - using iWeb from Apple (start cursing me now) - I created this website:

Ok, I won't bite the Apple bit...

VERY nice website, I like it a lot!  Easy navigation, colorful, photo side bar changes relative to what topic you view - and I agree with RougeLeader, if those photos could be clicked on to enlarge for us snoopy people! The "bullet" graphics for each paragraph were nicely placed and used. I'm jealous of the American Flag topper, it's pretty cool.

In my quick look around, I didn't see a bunch of links over to the National Headquarters website.  So many unit pages are on the fast track to get visitors off their site and over to National's -- WHY?!  Hate that, and it's a dis-service to using the website as a recruiting tool.  Even for a so-called member area, why try to maintain currency on all the links to Nat'l HQ stuff. Even my own squadron and wing do this to some degree, but it's not easier to navigate around... I'd rather hit the seven keys for "CAP.GOV" if I'm looking for something general to CAP - ya know?

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

Tubacap

Some things are already explained on the national website.  That's my personal opinion.

www.williamsportcap.org
NER-PA-001

alamrcn

Quote from: Tubacap on June 18, 2007, 06:09:01 PM
www.williamsportcap.org

National has a lot of great photos at our disposal, but you just can't beat unique and local photos like those used at this website. Non-members might be intrigued to look around because the site looks different than the one they just linked off of. Current members like to see other units and wings in action doing their own thing in their own way. This site was a pleasure to snoop around on.

Hey, can someone help PhotoShop the L-per antennas straight on the front page? It might distract someone from seeing the aircraft doing a handstand in the hanger.   :o

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

Tubacap

I was amused by that picture as well, that's why I put it in  ;D
NER-PA-001

Eclipse

Quote from: Tubacap on June 18, 2007, 05:06:16 PM
True a website is great for first touch recruiting, but ours is also a portal to all the NHQ things that I would like our members to have quick access to.

NHQ already has a site of their own, members should be bright enough to go direct without the ruminations I see some people go through "ok, click my squadrons site...now...look for the NHQ links...click..hmmm, not what I wanted...back...back....try again."   ;D

Just GOOGLE IT!!!!  LOL

Quote from: Tubacap on June 18, 2007, 05:06:16 PM
Does anyone have an answer on hosted Microsoft Access for SIMS?  On the flip side, I believe that all cadet progression is to be tracked by eServices soon.

Does not exist today, but would be the Holey Grail for SIMs (IMHO).

"That Others May Zoom"

mdickinson

Quote from: Murp on June 18, 2007, 04:49:17 AM
- Keep it REALLY simple
[...]
http://www.group22.net/pwk/

Murp,

First, very nice web site. Looks clean, simple, and clear.
you are right on target with the advice about leaving out any information that will lead the website to become dated when it is (inevitably) left without maintenance for months at a time.

A few suggestions:

1. it's "Unit locator" (not locater)

2. The diffuse gray font you're using for "Chicago Executive Airport "  and "unit locater" is hard to read. replace it with some sort of font that is legible even when not moused over.

3. when i clicked on "join", the new page (join) appeared as a jumbled mess for a few moments, then gradually (slowly) sorted itself out. Seems like there is much too much code there for such a straightforward page - that's probably why it takes so long to load. Your own advice "keep it simple" should help here.

Murph

Malcom,
Thanks for the constructive advice and spelling fixes!  I get those mixed up all the time.

As for the fonts I'm having a hell of a time getting iWeb to listen to the color setting on those - very odd.

Unfortunately because iWeb converts all of the text to graphics the load times can be a bit sluggish (especially from our server) - I don't mind sacrificing speed for quality.

Thanks again for the advice.

BTW - my screen name was supposed to be "Murph" not "Murp" - any way to change that?  Thanks!

MIKE

Quote from: Murp on June 19, 2007, 07:15:07 PM
BTW - my screen name was supposed to be "Murph" not "Murp" - any way to change that?  Thanks!

I think you can change it in your profile... If not, Pylon or Whatevah should be able to hook you up with the fix.
Mike Johnston

Murph

MIKE

You may still need to log in as "Murp" though, not sure how it works exactly.
Mike Johnston

mdickinson

re: http://www.williamsportcap.org - that's a great looking site!

I liked this picture particularly. Is it just me, or is this hilarious?

"Hm, there's an ELT going off around here somewhere... locating them can be tough. Maybe I can find it using this DF unit!"

(Look in the background)  ::)

RogueLeader

Quote from: mdickinson on June 20, 2007, 08:35:52 PM
re: http://www.williamsportcap.org - that's a great looking site!

I liked this picture particularly. Is it just me, or is this hilarious?

"Hm, there's an ELT going off around here somewhere... locating them can be tough. Maybe I can find it using this DF unit!"

(Look in the background)  ::)
The DF says that it is not to the left or right, so it MUST be in front, right ???
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

SarDragon

It works better when the antennae are all vertical, too. Them's ain't TV rabbit ears.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Spacecenter

Just a couple of ideas.

1-See if your Wing provides hosting. Here in California our crack Wing MIS Section does. Our Wing provided (sub) domain name is: http://sq40.cawg.cap.gov

2-Do as the Syracuse Unit did (and us too), register a shorter domain name and redirect to the Wing provided site or whatever free server you may be using. Our webmaster (a new member-great guy Rene Caderon) took it upon himself to register www.CAPFullerton.com which redirects to the Wing provided site.

3-Something we didn't do (yet)-purchase domain masking for the site. That means that in our case "www.CAPFullerton.com" would show instead of "http://sq40.cawg.cap.gov". This allows you to use various free pages but still have your domain show at all times. If you want to see how web masking works you can go to my personal business site www.USALP.com. I own the domain but the company I represents provides the content due to various ABA and State compliance regulations. With web masking I maintain my "brand identification" and professional image.

4-Do not under any circumstances use any ad-supported pages. I say again, Do not under any circumstances use any ad-supported pages. This is very unprofessional. However-if a business provides you with free hosting it is ok for a small mention of this to be on the very bottom of your home-page. Many times a member will allow you to host your pages on their web site.

5-The webmaster should not be responsible for content. This is actually a Public Affairs responsibility. Let two (or more) different people be responsible for different duties. Webmaster builds it-PA with input and assistance provides content.

6-Don't wait for Commander's approval to do things. If you are tasked with doing the page-Do It! Get some help but just do it. If the Commander wants to micro-manage it let him or her do it. We are an organization of professional volunteers.

7-Be professional. As someone else has said it is better to have no page rather than an outdated or bad page. This may be the first contact someone has with your unit, let's make it a good one.

8-Keep a clean, easy to read design. No reverses or weird colors. While dark red type on a navy blue background may seem cool, it's hard to read due to the lack of contrast. Remember-this is for information, not your entertainment or ego.

9-Get the website out there. Put it on your recruiting materials, Press Releases, signs. If you do any community events make sure it is on your display boards-even if it's a "borrowed" aircraft or vehicle.

10-Look at different squadron's pages for ideas. There is a lot of great stuff out there. We found the gridded chart link online on some other unit's web pages. It's a great tool.

11-Give full photo credit and copyright statement on photos (I see we need to do that on some new pics). Members deserve credit and it may stop someone from using it commercially without attribution.

Our squadron site is an ongoing journey. We will be relocating some links to a members only page, and updating the news, but it is a good start.

1LT Matt Scherzi
04434 (hey-I'm old)
CAWG Squadron 40

CA434 Since 1991

dwb

Quote from: Murph on June 19, 2007, 07:15:07 PMUnfortunately because iWeb converts all of the text to graphics the load times can be a bit sluggish (especially from our server) - I don't mind sacrificing speed for quality.

I do.  :-\  Why would you intentionally make your page load slower?  I know you like the fonts with the spiffy effects, but I still recommend you go with real text for the paragraphs instead of images.

BTW, my standard web page advice: http://syracusecap.org/info/siteinfo.html

I should add "pick a good domain name" to the list of tips.

Don't use your charter number as a domain name, because no one outside of CAP understands what that number means.  Obviously I'm a fan of using "center of geographic region" in a domain (e.g., syracusecap, because Syracuse is the major city near our unit).  I also like using a domain name that you can speak, and people won't get confused.  Avoid hyphens if possible, for that reason.