Dual Cool. Which one?

Started by Stonewall, February 17, 2013, 03:36:41 PM

ol'fido

I have never had a name tape or patch where the colors bled into places they shouldn't in 35 plus years in CAP or in 4 years on AD. I have seen all the tricks with sewing and Velcro and considered several but in the end they weren't worth the trouble. I kind of like having my patches look like they've got some"seniority" as long as they're not unserviceable
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

johnnyb47

http://capnhq.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1257/kw/velcro/session/L3RpbWUvMTM2MTMwOTUxMy9zaWQveTVrak1namw%3D
*updated today*

Who says the ramblings of you CAPTalkers isn't taken seriously? :)

Did a search for Velcro in KB and both results were updated this afternoon.
Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Stonewall

I searched for 'Velcro" and did not find where the KB says it's okay to Velcro patches/insignia to BDUs in lieu of sewing them.
Serving since 1987.

lordmonar

Okay.......to throw a monkey wrench into the arugment.   AFI 36-2903 Para 5.1.2.2. says the edges of the badge will be folded in and sewn down.

Now I know......"we are not the Air Force".......but come on, don't Belcro your patches and badges on your BDUs.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

J2H

My first badge is the Force Protection Craftsman function badge.  The other depends on what I get into.
SSgt Jeffrey Hughes, Squadron NCO
Glenn L. Martin Composite Squadron MD-031

Stonewall

Quote from: Slim on February 18, 2013, 06:06:53 AM
I say forget the regs and go for the tower of power.

What do you mean?
Serving since 1987.

NIN

God, the Tower of Power just gets me all fluttery....
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Quote from: Stonewall on February 19, 2013, 11:53:02 PM
Quote from: Slim on February 18, 2013, 06:06:53 AM
I say forget the regs and go for the tower of power.

What do you mean?

This could well be used as a test for cadets, first, knowing what's wrong, second having the stones to challenge Stonewall on it.

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

That was one of those "lets play with the sewing machine moments" like 10 years ago.
Serving since 1987.

J2H

I need to research the uniform regs
SSgt Jeffrey Hughes, Squadron NCO
Glenn L. Martin Composite Squadron MD-031

NIN

See, I have a pic of Stonewall on the wall in my house, for crying out loud.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Stonewall

Quote from: NIN on February 20, 2013, 03:43:31 AM
See, I have a pic of Stonewall on the wall in my house, for crying out loud.

Unfortunately it's in the bathroom if I'm not mistaken.
Serving since 1987.

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

vento

Quote from: NIN on February 20, 2013, 03:58:11 AM

That stare is a bit intimidating, especially when one is trying to pee.  :P

RogueLeader

Like having a random urinalysis every time you go.  :-[
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eclipse

Yes, I'd be freaked out having Justin Bieber watch me go to the bathroom as well...

What the heck?

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: NIN on February 19, 2013, 04:33:02 PM
Quote from: Brad on February 19, 2013, 04:09:20 PM
Unless you're Ned Lee, that guy just holds his stuff on with the power of his mind. :P

39-1 says insignia will be sewn, not held on with any Jedi Mind Trick action. So if Ned really does that, he, too, would be in violation of 39-1.

Where? I haven't been able to find it. Is there some double secret section I don't know about?

Just looked - the word sew appears exactly three times in the most recent 39-1.

Quote from: CAPM 39-1Pg 10: Each uniform item must have this label sewn or stamped on permanently: "USAF CERTIFICATE NO _______.

Pg 74: 1. CAP Crest: Attached or sewn to the breast pocket or same relative position.

Pg 97: CAP senior members who hold NCO and airmen grades may wear cloth chevrons sewn on the sleeve or gray epaulet sleeves with embroidered chevrons.

Placement is much discussed , but attachment method is not. I suppose that stitching is implied, but there's nothing specific.

ETA: OK, shoot me later. I answered before I read to the end of the thread.

I do have a BBDU shirt where I can Velcro the name tag. That way, I can be Major Bowles most of the time, or, on occasions where a sense of humour abounds, I can be Major Malfunction.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on February 20, 2013, 05:06:15 AM
Yes, I'd be freaked out having Justin Bieber watch me go to the bathroom as well...

What the heck?

Thats a Justin Beiber toothbrush that was a gag Christmas gift last year from my ex-girlfriend. I left it at the house buried in a bathroom cabinet when I moved out and it came back hidden in a bag of clothes of mine she found.   I don't have the heart to throw it out, as I really want to use it as a gag gift for something else.

As to ol' Stonewall there, yeah, the first time I went to use that bathroom after hanging the pic, it was like Stonewall was the urinalysis NCOIC... Weirder than I expected it would be.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Luis R. Ramos

68-

39-1 does not say that we shall wear briefs under our trousers, but I will bet that 99.99999% of our members do.

39-1 only concern is about what is worn, visible, not on attachment methods. The way I described Velcro is an attachment method and not visible.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Eclipse

Quote from: flyer333555 on February 20, 2013, 02:29:24 PM
39-1 does not say that we shall wear briefs under our trousers, but I will bet that 99.99999% of our members do.

Yes, it does.

Quote from: flyer333555 on February 20, 2013, 02:29:24 PM
39-1 only concern is about what is worn, visible, not on attachment methods. The way I described Velcro is an attachment method and not visible.

Guaranteed it is. You can't add 1/4" of pile under an insignia which is supposed to be sewn direct and flat and not have it look different.

"That Others May Zoom"