Main Menu

"Other" AFIADL Courses

Started by SAR-EMT1, March 04, 2007, 01:23:58 AM

SAR-EMT1

Im done with The "Senior Officers Course" but am holding off on taking SOS due to TIG.
In the meantime I am interested in getting the most out of AFIADL that I possibly can so....

Aside from the familiar PME offered to us through AFIADL -SOS etc..-
Has anyone taken any of the other courses?
Such as: Scanner/Observer, Personnel, Logistics etc...

Please include a brief description of what you got out of the course, and a quick overview of the course itself.

Thanks...
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Psicorp

I recently  completed the Safety Officer course.   The course itself is pretty much putting all the regulations regarding safety into an easier to read and understand format; in fact, I'm keeping the course text as reference material.  Very well worth the effort.  The practice exams included in the course are excellent preparation for the actual exam.

Next on my AFIADL schedule is the "Senior Officer Course" and then the "Observer" course.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

RiverAux

Scanner and Observer courses are a waste of time.  The Mission Aircrew Reference text has about 5x as much material as in both of the ancient Scanner and Observer courses.  They might have been useful 5-10 years ago, but aren't worth it now and don't actually meet any of the aircrew requirements anyway. 

Public Affairs AFIADL is similarly about 20-years out of date.

DNall

I accidently signed up for the instructor course while in the AU-Online system doing SOS, so I guess I'll do that at some point here. The table of contents looks good, but suposedly the course is crap & a new outstanding one is inbound. There are a range of about 11 other AF instructor courses though which I hadn't looked into very much but are supposed to be good, and one maint mgmt course. There's a large range of AF courses you can take, but most are AFSC continuing education courses & aren't any use to us. Safety is the only one I've heard of being pretty decent. AFIADL 13 is decent material if you're brand new to a military program, but it's a joke if you wait till a year in or so. There's an Airpower course that's supposed to be the civilian version of ASBC that's pretty interesting if you like AF history & got spare time.

What I'd do if I were you though is limit most of my AFIADL efforts to the mandatory stuff & instead make best use of FEMA's online courses & EMI.

sandman

Currently enrolled in ACSC. Fairly dry reading right now. Will make a great fitrep bullet though, plus joint service PME credit!
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol
Major, 163rd ATKW Support, Joint Medical Command

DNall

Quote from: sandman on March 04, 2007, 06:34:03 AM
Currently enrolled in ACSC. Fairly dry reading right now. Will make a great fitrep bullet though, plus joint service PME credit!
Absolutely, ain't that cool. I hear it's pretty good overall, I'll be enrolling here as soon as I finish SOS in hopes of having both done before I start flight - ambitous, but we'll see.

dws

I think that AFIADL is one of the most under-used benefits of CAP for both Cadets and Seniors.
So far, I've completed the following:

Military Working Dog, Computer Systems Programming,
ES, Scanner, Observer, Safety,
CAP Officers Course, SOS, and ACSC.

Another great PD USAF oriented source that my advisor in ACSC directed me to was at:
http://www.apc.maxwell.af.mil/main.htm (available for the public)

I'm currently enrolled in the "Visual Information Photographic Specialty"
They've all been informative and useful, both for CAP missions and for my professional work.

-Dan
Daniel W. Stouch, Lt Col., CAP

SAR-EMT1

Were you at one point a K9 Officer? If you were thats pretty neat,  but otherwise  I wonder how one would be able to take the course. - without the dog I mean.  ... Unless the course can change my psychotic [mess]su into a lean mean sentry.  ;D
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

DNall

Quote from: dws on March 06, 2007, 06:57:20 PM
I think that AFIADL is one of the most under-used benefits of CAP for both Cadets and Seniors.
So far, I've completed the following:

Military Working Dog, Computer Systems Programming,
ES, Scanner, Observer, Safety,
CAP Officers Course, SOS, and ACSC.

Another great PD USAF oriented source that my advisor in ACSC directed me to was at:
http://www.apc.maxwell.af.mil/main.htm (available for the public)

I'm currently enrolled in the "Visual Information Photographic Specialty"
They've all been informative and useful, both for CAP missions and for my professional work.
Nice link. How's that photo course?

SAR-EMT1

Hmm... going to enroll in the following: USAF Fire Fighter Lvl 1, 2 and Hazmat.
Should be an interesting entry on my resume and a topic of conversation at the EMS Bay.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

dws

I was never a K-9 Officer, but have two dogs and have been interested in training one of them to do SAR work for a while.  Unfortunately, I haven't the spare time at the moment, but perhaps sometime in the future.

As to the content, its all thoretical, book-work if you will, and not hands-on. Hence it being offered as a distance learning course.

-Dan
Daniel W. Stouch, Lt Col., CAP