Shoe Lacing Style Regulation

Started by Airman De Ruiter, January 22, 2013, 05:31:55 AM

Airman De Ruiter

I've always been taught that there is a certain way to lace my shoes/boots in uniform and I've always gotten in some sort of trouble for not doing it the "right" way, but I have yet to see an actual regulation addressing this? I prefer my own little way of lacing boots and I do it that way when wearing civvies and I'd like to do it uniform.
Signature edited.  Violation of Membership Code of Conduct.

a2capt

Don't give them any ideas on things to cover in a CAPM 39-1 revision ;-)

If "trouble" is anything more than peer pressure, ribbing, etc. from a few cadets.. and even then..

Nothing in this organization.

Airman De Ruiter

No, trouble as in losing points on inspection.

SarDragon

Well, I was taught, at varying times and places, a fairly standardized method.

The lace comes up through the bottom set of holes. Criss-cross upward, with the lace coming from the right crossing over the lace coming from the left. Each end comes up through the hole as you progress up the tongue..

If anyone tells you it should be any different, unless it's something that does not remotely resmble the method above, just do it. It's probably been established for uniformity, so be uniform. It's not like you need to relace your shoes every week.

There is nothing written on a national basis defining precisely how to lace shoes.

BTW, once I got past USN boot camp, no one ever closely examined my laces in an inspection. Nor did that occur in CAP as a cadet.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: Airman De Ruiter on January 22, 2013, 05:48:50 AM

You ask them to show you in the regs where it says how you lace your shoes.
If you ask them nicely and tell them it's so you can refer to it in the future  they should have no problem with your request.

Airman De Ruiter

Well, I know that it's fairly easy to conceal tiny things like that, but I'm kind of a stickler for regs so if I have to I'll lace it "military-style", but if I don't absolutely have to, I'm going to lace it my way.

SarDragon

Lace them the way you're told. It builds character. CAP is not the place to be practicing being an individualist, or a loose cannon.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SarDragon

Quote from: PHall on January 22, 2013, 06:09:13 AM
Quote from: Airman De Ruiter on January 22, 2013, 05:48:50 AM

You ask them to show you in the regs where it says how you lace your shoes.
If you ask them nicely and tell them it's so you can refer to it in the future  they should have no problem with your request.

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Airman De Ruiter

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Airman De Ruiter on January 22, 2013, 06:12:15 AM
Well, I know that it's fairly easy to conceal tiny things like that, but I'm kind of a stickler for regs so if I have to I'll lace it "military-style", but if I don't absolutely have to, I'm going to lace it my way.

What is "military-style" lacing?

My Bates boots look like they did when they came in the mail. I did zero work on the laces.

Airman De Ruiter

Too much work to describe on my phone.  The bottom crossbar is over the top of the eyelets, left-over-right, laces coming in from outside of the eyelet as oppose to going out from the inside.

68w20

Quote from: Airman De Ruiter on January 22, 2013, 06:25:08 AM
Too much work to describe on my phone.  The bottom crossbar is over the top of the eyelets, left-over-right, laces coming in from outside of the eyelet as oppose to going out from the inside.

You're over-thinking this. 

abdsp51

There is no right or wrong way to lace your shoes/boots.  If your squadron has a preferred method then nothing wrong with that they just need to make sure they tell you.

Airman De Ruiter

Quote from: 68w10 on January 22, 2013, 06:35:19 AM

You're over-thinking this.

USAFAUX asked.

SarDragon

That's exactly backwards from the method I posted, except from the starting point.

Ask the folks in your unit how they want it, and do it that way. Like 68w10 said, you're seriously over thinking this.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

lordmonar

Quote from: Airman De Ruiter on January 22, 2013, 05:31:55 AM
I've always been taught that there is a certain way to lace my shoes/boots in uniform and I've always gotten in some sort of trouble for not doing it the "right" way, but I have yet to see an actual regulation addressing this? I prefer my own little way of lacing boots and I do it that way when wearing civvies and I'd like to do it uniform.
Here is a little lesson you can learn from an old USAF MSgt.  You do it the way your boss tells you to do it.

I am beggining to see a trend here with you on CT.......Be an Airman for a while before you try to be a leader.
If your leadership says left over right and bars on the botttom and X on top......do it that way instead of looking for regs and quotes to support your own personal preference.

When you have been around the block awhile....maybe you can have it your way....but until then....relax and be a follower for awhile.

[/surmon]
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

PA Guy

I agree with Lordmonar. Based on what you have posted you show all the signs of becoming a barracks lawyer. Don't become that guy settle down and listen for awhile. FWIW.

Airman De Ruiter

Treadhead

Quote from: lordmonar on January 22, 2013, 09:16:26 AM
Quote from: Airman De Ruiter on January 22, 2013, 05:31:55 AM
Here is a little lesson you can learn from an old USAF MSgt.  You do it the way your boss tells you to do it.

I am beggining to see a trend here with you on CT.......Be an Airman for a while before you try to be a leader.
If your leadership says left over right and bars on the botttom and X on top......do it that way instead of looking for regs and quotes to support your own personal preference.

When you have been around the block awhile....maybe you can have it your way....but until then....relax and be a follower for awhile.

[/surmon]

Excellent advice, Master Sergeant.  I could not have said it any better myself.
Walter F. Lott
1st Lt (CAP) ret
LTC, USAR (ret)
Lt Col, California State Military Reserve
Former member of Mather Cadet Sq. 14 and McClellan Cadet Sq. 12

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: lordmonar on January 22, 2013, 09:16:26 AM
Here is a little lesson you can learn from an old USAF MSgt.

Watch out for those SNCO's.

Like Bill Cosby used to say on the Saturday morning Fat Albert show, "if you're not careful you just might learn somethin' before you're done."
Exiled from GLR-MI-011