Wilderness First Aid, CPR, Etc

Started by CG-PSU, January 06, 2013, 06:43:17 PM

CG-PSU

Greetings everyone and Happy New Year. 

Ive looked through the threads and read all the posts about first aid and cpr requirements which still leaves me with a few questions.  How does your wing/squadron train in this? Do you do it in house or get outside instruction?  What level do you train to, just basic first aid and cor or does anyone do advanced level courses?  What are your thoughts on wilderness First aid?

I recently just took an awesome wilderness first aid class in Mass. I learned a ton and got to actually perform the skills in an wilderness environment. Plus, the instructor gives discounts to CAP and Boy Scouts.

Eclipse

Welcome to CAPTalk.

If you've read the threads then you know that 60-3 requires that First Aid training be provided by outside parties to
the OSHA Occupational standard.  CPR is not required, and in fact, the use of CPR is becoming an increasingly controversial
issue within the healthcare community.

NESA has run a First Responder course for the last few years.

Also from the discussions you probably saw that "extra" training is also a controversial topic within CAP because it tends to lead
members into the idea that we are allowed to, or should be allowed to, provide more care and services then we actually are.

A basic First Aid class is all that members should need for CAP duties.

"That Others May Zoom"

Sapper168

What i have noticed is the more people i talk to, the more i run into that believe we shouldnt be training in or using anything not in the task guide.  I had always had the idea that the Task guide was a bare minimum of what should be known and ES members should seek out more and different training to round out their 'toolbox' as it were.
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

Eclipse

^ The problem with this it is pre-supposes that you're proficient with what's in the task guides enough to
feel you need more.  That's rarely the case in CAP where many members touch a certain skill one time and
then move on.

From a purely CAP perspective you're much better served practicing what yo actually need, then extending
your skills beyond that "in case".

It's not unusual to have members who have taken all sorts of classes and enhanced training, but have no practical
ability to apply those skills because instead of participating in CAP missions, training, and mentoring they are off
at First Responder classes, Wilderness Survival Training, and technical rescue seminars.

Great fun for you, of dubious value in a CAP context..

"That Others May Zoom"

JayT

Quote from: Eclipse on January 06, 2013, 07:01:09 PM

If you've read the threads then you know that 60-3 requires that First Aid training be provided by outside parties to
the OSHA Occupational standard.  CPR is not required, and in fact, the use of CPR is becoming an increasingly controversial
issue within the healthcare community.

Which healthcare community? Community CPR and public access AED's have more of a chance of saving the life of a patient in sudden cardiac arrest then any tube, drug, catheter, needle, medication, or fluid that I can shove into a patient.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Eclipse

About 2 years ago the AHA dropped the "mouth-to-mouth first" doctrine in regards to CPR, which re-opened the debate as
to whether mouth-to-mouth was effective at all, or should be dropped altogether.  Recent studies have indicated
that CPR's effectiveness, especially when administered by non medical professionals, is generally under 30%.

CPR and AEDs are ≠, and the AED is only as effective as actually having one.

Regardless, the training is not currently required in CAP.

"That Others May Zoom"

cap235629

Our unit became an Education Center for the Emergency Care and Safety Institute and offer CPR, First Aid and Wilderness First Aid courses and certifications.  We have 2 certified instructors, myself and our CDC.
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

CG-PSU

Eclipse,  I see your point regarding the under uitilization of training and members taking time away for training. However, I do feel that there are more benefits to taking advanced training in everything,  not just first aid. I feel it keeps members more active and interested if there is something more to learn or look forward too. In the end, whether its basic first aid or wilderness first aid,  or first responder, its still basic first aid. The more training you have, the greater the understanding and proficiency. Regardless, I had a great training experience and I will be going back to this instructor for further training. If anyone needs or wants to take a great wilderness first aid, advanced wfa, wilderness first responder or first aid class,  Ill be happy to forward the contact of a great instructor in Massachusetts.  He recognizes CAP and gives a decent discount.

Walkman

When it comes to 1st Aid, I'm with Eclipse. We have limited ability to perform in that arena, and in reality most of our members aren't going to get a frequent opportunity to practice and keep those skills fresh enough to warrant advanced training within the realm of CAP.

I'm not going to discourage anyone who has a personal interest in those topics from pursuing them outside CAP. I'm thinking of taking a first responder course, not because I think I can use it in CAP, but because it really interests me. If a cadet is really focused on going into a career like LEO, FF, EMT, etc, I wouldn't discourage them from doing training outside CAP. The main point is leaders at all levels need to communicate clearly what the regs say and keep people grounded in the reality of what we do.