Main Menu

"Do Not Contact" Flag

Started by UWONGO2, October 16, 2012, 11:19:31 PM

UWONGO2

eServices added a "Do Not Contact" field to CAPWATCH that allows users to go into eServices and denote they don't want to be contacted by email.

My wing uses CAPWATCH data to build mailing lists by functions, such as one for squadron commanders, one for supply officers, one for transportation officers, and so forth. I have had a squadron commander suggest he should not be getting emails from the mailing list because he clicked the "do not contact" checkbox next to his email.

My initial impression was that the box was for third-party solicitations, however the SQ/CC doesn't see it that way.

Does anyone have any information on the purpose of the flag?

a2capt

It's for 3rd party, like the people selling the yearbooks back when, that kept spamming everyone. NHQ, when asked for names, or they sell names, whatever they do, if the member does not want 3rd party contact, they won't get it. But the information is used for CAP purposes.

I find it quite amusing when people don't want email sent, but want to participate in the 21st century.

3rd party stuff, I can certainly understand, but organizational? Get a free email address and never check it then.
After all, you didn't want it delivered anyway, right?

Spaceman3750

The guy who maintains the wing mailing lists recently changed our lists to exclude anyone with the do not contact flag. It's up to the individual sending the email or managing the list.

Personally, "select all" -> send. Done. It's not like you're paying per email.

Pylon

If the individual wants to never be contacted by CAP via email at all ever, then why would he give that email address to CAP?   ::)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Flying Pig

Those end up being the same people who throw a fit when they miss an event or a funded hour of flying because nobody called and personally invited them.

Garibaldi

Quote from: Flying Pig on October 17, 2012, 05:21:39 PM
Those end up being the same people who throw a fit when they miss an event or a funded hour of flying because nobody called and personally invited them.

You mean all those engraved invitations served on silver platters that I've been waiting for and never arrived means I missed out on EVERYTHING?
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Tim Medeiros

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, however this situation seems oddly familiar.

I had guessed that the "Do Not Contact" flag was based on the national email list for announcements.  I had already had listed in eServices my personal email that I use for CAP as well as my work email.  I had listed said work email specifically in the event someone needed to reach me there, in the event I could not get to my personal account.  With the release of the "Do Not Contact" feature, I set my work email to do not contact so I wouldn't get the same email multiple times.

The reasoning for my guess was based on the attached image.

As it stands now, with the increase in the number of wing mailing lists that I find myself on, I get the same email to both accounts, I do not need that kind of redundancy.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

UWONGO2

Just to follow-up with everyone, thanks to Maj Medeiros for tracking down the specific box where one denotes which email address should not receive mass emails. I believe this is different than the overall opt-out of third party contact. I use the primary/secondary designations to determine which address to use, but I plan on adding a check for this flag as well.