hang-around.

Eclipse

Quote from: tsrup on October 09, 2012, 02:29:46 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on October 09, 2012, 12:39:51 PM
Quote from: umpirecali on October 09, 2012, 11:45:34 AM
B) you do not salute while wearing polo uniform

Incorrect.

que?

There's no prohibition regarding saluting in the golf shirt, and 151 says you should.

"That Others May Zoom"

tsrup

Quote from: Eclipse on October 09, 2012, 03:07:57 PM
Quote from: tsrup on October 09, 2012, 02:29:46 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on October 09, 2012, 12:39:51 PM
Quote from: umpirecali on October 09, 2012, 11:45:34 AM
B) you do not salute while wearing polo uniform

Incorrect.

que?

There's no prohibition regarding saluting in the golf shirt, and 151 says you should.

CAPP 151 expects that all Senior Member render proper customs and courtesies in all uniforms except the polo and blazer.

Also when wearing the polo and a cadet/junior-officer salutes out of recognition, then you should verbally acknowledge the salute, not salute back.

Paramedic
hang-around.

Eclipse

You're reading that incorrectly.

Senior Members. For senior members, the rendering of customs and courtesies is expected when wearing a military-style uniform (all
uniform combinations except the polo shirt and blazer). Regardless, CAP encourages all members to take part in something larger than
themselves by participating in these rich traditions.

"Expect", in this context, equals required, meaning you have to.  The sentence following does not prohibit saluting, it indicates that
it should be handled as you would any civilian-style dress, meaning it is perfectly acceptable.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on October 09, 2012, 03:19:47 PM

Senior Members. For senior members, the rendering of customs and courtesies is expected when wearing a military-style uniform (all
uniform combinations except the polo shirt and blazer). Regardless, CAP encourages all members to take part in something larger than

"Expect", in this context, equals required, meaning you have to.  The sentence following does not prohibit saluting, it indicates that
it should be handled as you would any civilian-style dress, meaning it is perfectly acceptable.

Right, but not required, which is my point. It's NOT on the same footing as the AF/ G&Ws.

You can salute/acknowledge someone in a Polo, but you don't have to.

Eclipse

Fair enough - you always have to acknowledge a superior, saluting or otherwise.

The question and verbiage was whether the golf shirt was "salutable".  It is.

"That Others May Zoom"

tsrup

Quote from: usafaux2004 on October 09, 2012, 03:23:47 PM

You can salute/acknowledge someone in a Polo, but you don't have to.

Are you saying:

You can salute/acknowledge someone who is wearing a Polo, but you don't have to.

You can salute/acknowledge someone when you are wearing a Polo, but you don't have to.

Which did you mean? Because one is correct, and the other isn't.
Paramedic
hang-around.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: tsrup on October 09, 2012, 03:29:45 PM

You can salute/acknowledge someone who is wearing a Polo, but you don't have to.

You can salute/acknowledge someone when you are wearing a Polo, but you don't have to.

Which did you mean? Because one is correct, and the other isn't.

Both are correct, but not required. If I see the Group commander in BDUs and I'm wearing a polo (I don't own one), I will salute BUT I could also just verbally greet them. On the other hand, if he is wearing the polo, I will still probably pop a salute, but I know I don't have to, and he would have no reason to bust my chops for it.

Eclipse

They are both 100% correct.

The second one is actually 110% correct if the other member is a superior.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on October 09, 2012, 03:19:47 PM

This follows under the rule of "it is always appropriate to salue even if it is not required"

But in common usage.....we would say "you don't salute officers wearing polo shirts and you don't salute in polo shirts".

So bottom line.......you should not be chewing people out for failing to salute a SM wearing polo or blaze combos......nor should you be chewing anyone out for rendering honors to those people or those wearing those combinations who render honors.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on October 09, 2012, 03:39:10 PMSo bottom line.......you should not be chewing people out for failing to salute a SM wearing polo or blaze combos......nor should you be chewing anyone out for rendering honors to those people or those wearing those combinations who render honors.

Agreed.

"That Others May Zoom"

tsrup

I should have said "more correct"..

But it is reasonable to say that if you are in a military style uniform and you encounter a superior officer (whom you recognize to be so) that is wearing the polo/blazer/board shorts & T-shirt, it would not be optional to salute them, but rather it would be required.

Paramedic
hang-around.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: tsrup on October 09, 2012, 03:53:52 PM

But it is reasonable to say that if you are in a military style uniform and you encounter a superior officer (whom you recognize to be so) that is wearing the polo/blazer/board shorts & T-shirt, it would not be optional to salute them, but rather it would be required.

Why? You greet them, show them respect, but you do not Salute them if they are wearing their NIN shirt or something along those lines. You CAN salute, but there's nothing wrong with acknowledging them without one.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: usafaux2004 on October 09, 2012, 03:55:19 PM

Why? You greet them, show them respect, but you do not Salute them if they are wearing their NIN shirt or something along those lines. You CAN salute, but there's nothing wrong with acknowledging them without one.
+1  this is what my 22 years in the AD USAF taught me.

tsrup

Quote from: lordmonar on October 09, 2012, 04:23:01 PM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on October 09, 2012, 03:55:19 PM

+1  this is what my 22 years in the AD USAF taught me.

Then this is an instance where practice doesn't match procedure. 

Quote from:  CAPP 151
When in uniform, salute officers upon recognition, regardless of
what the officer is wearing. For example, uniformed cadets salute their
squadron commander even if that commander is in civilian attire. In
such instances, the commander typically would verbally acknowledge
the salute, but not return it.

Paramedic
hang-around.

lordmonar

Sapper168

Funny thing is i keep rereading this and keep coming back to this same thing.....  No where in this part of the regulation does it say the person in a military style uniform DOESN'T have to render C&C to someone not in a military style uniform aka polo shirt or blazer uniforms.  I only read that if a person is wearing the polo shirt they don't have to render C&C but are encouraged to.

Where is it actually written and spelled out in the regs that you DO NOT salute someone in a Polo/golf/knit shirt or blazer uniform?
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

SarDragon

Why can't we just go back to the olde rule - no hat, no salute. Problem solved.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: SarDragon on October 09, 2012, 05:39:20 PM
Why can't we just go back to the olde rule - no hat, no salute. Problem solved.

Which would bring us back to the fact that there is no headgear (other than an undefined "CAP baseball hat" ::)) for the G/W.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011