Wounded Warrior Project 8K run

Started by ZombieButter, September 06, 2012, 02:06:58 AM

ZombieButter

I picked up a flyer for the WWP 8k Run from another cadet at my squadron, and have gained intrest. When I went on the website I noticed the "MANDATORY FUNDRAISING REQUIREMENT FOR 8K REGISTERED RUNNERS" I must admit my heart skipped a beat. Does anyone else have any experience with raising $100? I looked at Indiegogo and it seems like a good place to raise some jack.

On a seperate note, anyone have any advice for running long distances? I know there are a few good runners here.

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/wwp-8k-runs/franklin.aspx

EMT-83

A minimum fundraising requirement is common. Organizations will actually lose money on folks who register, but don't bring donations.

$100 is easy, if it's for a good cause. Ask your friends and neighbors, businesses you frequent, and even total strangers. Have some printed material available, and explain just what the event means to you personally.

I've raised thousands of dollars in cash and in-kind donations, just by asking.

AngelWings

I created a thread about how to run faster. The simple thing for running roughly 5 miles (8k= 4.97 miles) is to eat a well balanced, protein and pasta (grain) rich diet along with water before you run the actual day, but not too much of either.

The day before your run is payday for the day of the run. Do not eat heavy on the day of the run or the night before. You will cramp up and feel sick. Run paced. Do not try to mentally race other people, you will quickly fall out of pace. I suggest running 5 miles every other day before you participate, with atleast a 3 day break from running the actual race if you're concerned you will not be able to run it because you're tired.

Vary your distances you run, but use 5 as your base number. If you do not do anything extra, like sprinting portions of your run or running with weight on your back, atleast run 5 miles solid. If you go the sprint route, you can cut off 1-2 miles of running. Same with pack running.

As for how to get the $100 donation, EMT-83 gave you solid advice. The worst anyone can say is "No! Oh god no! What? HOW DARE YOU EVEN ASK ME THIS? GET OUTTA HERE KID!"

Extremepredjudice

A club I am in got over 10,000 dollars by just asking(from a bunch of sources). Ask. The worst they can do is say no.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"