Main Menu

Red Service Ribbon

Started by 41839j, July 30, 2012, 03:16:33 PM

The CyBorg is destroyed

^^^At the end of this month, I will be eligible for promotion to Major.  I've got my Grover Loening, and all the rest of my ducks in a row.

It's been a long time coming, because I was first promoted to Captain in 1997.  After that I had breaks in service but was able to get my grade back...now it's been three years unbroken as a Captain.

My dilemma is:

First, I believe my commander to be just as human as FP admits to :P in that he probably doesn't have time to remember just when everyone is up for promotion.

Second, a small part of me is saying that finally, I've endured and run the race, and it's time.

Third, a larger part of me suffers from the Reg Barclay/tall poppy syndrome that says it would be egotistical and presumptive to remind my CC of this, and I know that in CAP (as in life in general), I'm not "due" anything, the world doesn't owe me anything, etc.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Garibaldi

Quote from: CyBorg on August 01, 2012, 07:18:25 PM
^^^At the end of this month, I will be eligible for promotion to Major.  I've got my Grover Loening, and all the rest of my ducks in a row.

It's been a long time coming, because I was first promoted to Captain in 1997.  After that I had breaks in service but was able to get my grade back...now it's been three years unbroken as a Captain.

My dilemma is:

First, I believe my commander to be just as human as FP admits to :P in that he probably doesn't have time to remember just when everyone is up for promotion.

Second, a small part of me is saying that finally, I've endured and run the race, and it's time.

Third, a larger part of me suffers from the Reg Barclay/tall poppy syndrome that says it would be egotistical and presumptive to remind my CC of this, and I know that in CAP (as in life in general), I'm not "due" anything, the world doesn't owe me anything, etc.

Yes.
Yes.
No. You have every right to inform your CC and personnel officer that you are due a promotion. If you don't want it, that's one thing, but you obviously do. I hounded my CC and DP when I got back in to get my promotion to Major approved, but it took time and having to take Level 1 again to do so. Channels must be followed and all that. Tell your personnel officer and the Professional Development officer and they'll get it started for you.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Flying Pig

As a commander, help me help you ;D

RiverAux

Hmm, if something is documented somewhere in an NHQ computer system, then a 2a isn't necessary.  So, if I'm in WMIRs as being on a mission that is a presidentially-declared disaster, then no 2a is necessary for the disaster relief ribbon with v?  Interesting take on the regs there Eclipse. 

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on August 01, 2012, 08:00:01 PM
Hmm, if something is documented somewhere in an NHQ computer system, then a 2a isn't necessary.  So, if I'm in WMIRs as being on a mission that is a presidentially-declared disaster, then no 2a is necessary for the disaster relief ribbon with v?  Interesting take on the regs there Eclipse.

Unrelated systems, not the same discussion - we're talking about personnel records not operational mission tracking.

WMIRS is not the CAP personnel records system, that's eServices, I don't even think there is any connectivity
between them beyond the sign-in tokens.  In fact, WMIRS' primary use is tracking mission expenses. not operations, and the focus
is on aircrews and ground teams.  Base staffers and personnel not assigned as sortie leaders are never mentioned or entered anywhere.

It is not only possible, but likely, that unless you are getting a 108-reimbursiment, you could spend a week on a mission, be very successful, and
your name will not be mentioned anywhere except for the scanned documents in the mission folder.

Further, a big weakness in our personnel system is that it doesn't track a significant number of awards, including the DR-V ribbon mentioned above,
therefore, yes, you'd need a 2a for that decoration.  A lot of times the POTUS-declaration is made after we leave and the mission is closed.

My oft-mentioned point is that decorations which are self-actualizing such as a service ribbon, or approved at a higher level, such an encampment, need not be "re-approved" via a 2a by a lower echelon that as no authority over the decoration in question.

A unit CC, has no authority in regards to most of the ribbons on the 2a as they are approved via higher echelons or other chains. In some cases the 2a could / is used by those other authorities to approve the ribbon, but then you don't need to have your commander "reapprove" it.

Again for, those just tuning it - the requirement to "approve" something, includes the potential to "deny" something by the same office.
A unit CC has no authority to deny a member an encampment ribbon, service ribbon, or Crossfield award which has been already been vetted via other means.

Of the 16 decs called out by the Form 2a, 10 are either self-actualizing or approved via other means by either higher HQ or another authority:

Approved higher then the unit, generally via a PA:
     Command Service Ribbon
     National Cadet Competition Ribbon
     National Color Guard Ribbon
     Cadet Advisory Council Ribbon

Self-actualizing via eservices (meaning approed by other authority and tracked by NHQ):
     Encampment Ribbon
     Red Service Ribbon - (based on the calendar except for a break in service).
     Cadet Special Activities Ribbon
     IACE Ribbon

Other situations:
     A. Scott Crossfield Award - self actualizing via the certificate
     "Find" Ribbon - a "push" - technically this is awarded by the IC of the respective mission.

Needs a 2a for substantiation documents and is not tracked in eServices.
     Counter drug Ribbon
     Air Search and Rescue Ribbon
     Cadet Community Service Ribbon
     Recruiter Ribbon
     Disaster Relief Ribbon
     Cadet Orientation Pilot Ribbon

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Thats not a bad system...its just not the one we have. 

spacecommand

In cases like the DR-V.  A PA "Personnel Authorization" from the Wing which listed all members who signed in and were recorded by on-scene commanders as participants during a  mission also works in lieu of a 2a as well.  As discussed in another thread, issuing a mass PA is probably better than sending out dozens of individual 2a's for such a large mission.