CAP "Professional" Reading List

Started by FlyTiger77, May 02, 2012, 05:58:36 PM

Private Investigator

Quote from: 754837 on May 03, 2012, 07:48:15 PM
One more: Robert Fulghum's "All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten"

Is that a prequel to, "All I Really Need to Know Came from my CAP Group Commander"?   8)

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: Cashboy on May 08, 2012, 12:22:53 AM
To follow up on the Ender's Game recommendation...Ender's Shadow is also a good read to fall under the leadership/follower ship category. Both are also awesome reads.  8)
As are their follow-ons:

For Ender's Game follow-ons are Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, and Children of the Mind.

For Ender's Shadow, follow-ons are Shadow of the Hegemon, Shadow Puppets and Shadow of the Giant.

There are also a number of other books that fall into the "Ender-verse" but they are outside of the scope of this post.

On a completely not so related note, when google-ing the list of books, I found this [size=78%]http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1731141/[/size] and was filled with joy.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

Spartan

My reccomendations at least for leadership:

We are Soldiers Still by General Hal Moore and Joe Galloway
The Art of War by Sun Tzu
In the Company of Heroes by Michael Durant
The 17 Indisputable Laws of Teamwork by John Maxwell
AFH 33-337 The Air Force Tongue and Quill (If you cannot communicate effectively, it is difficult to lead)
FM 20-12 [Army] Physical Fitness Training
U.S. Army NCO Creed (I am slightly bias toward this particular NCO Creed)
Seven Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey

ol'fido

Quote from: Tim Medeiros on May 12, 2012, 03:13:46 AM
Quote from: Cashboy on May 08, 2012, 12:22:53 AM
To follow up on the Ender's Game recommendation...Ender's Shadow is also a good read to fall under the leadership/follower ship category. Both are also awesome reads.  8)
As are their follow-ons:

For Ender's Game follow-ons are Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, and Children of the Mind.

For Ender's Shadow, follow-ons are Shadow of the Hegemon, Shadow Puppets and Shadow of the Giant.

There are also a number of other books that fall into the "Ender-verse" but they are outside of the scope of this post.

On a completely not so related note, when google-ing the list of books, I found this [size=78%]http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1731141/[/size] and was filled with joy.
Well, if we are including sci-fi, I would go with Gordon R. Dickson's Dorsai novels starting with "Tactics of Mistake". Got my nerd on fer ya'all.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

That Anonymous Guy

Quote from: Spartan on May 12, 2012, 06:24:31 AM
My reccomendations at least for leadership:

We are Soldiers Still by General Hal Moore and Joe Galloway
The Art of War by Sun Tzu
In the Company of Heroes by Michael Durant
The 17 Indisputable Laws of Teamwork by John Maxwell
AFH 33-337 The Air Force Tongue and Quill (If you cannot communicate effectively, it is difficult to lead)
FM 20-12 [Army] Physical Fitness Training
U.S. Army NCO Creed (I am slightly bias toward this particular NCO Creed)
Seven Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey
In the Company of Heros is great. I especially enjoyed the insight into the other missions he flew on.