CAP "Professional" Reading List

Started by FlyTiger77, May 02, 2012, 05:58:36 PM

FlyTiger77

Much space has been devoted to CAP members functioning as "unpaid professionals." To that end, what books would constitute necessary/useful reading to aid in developing a higher degree of professionalism (using the classic definition and not the colloquial)?

I would submit:

Leadership
1. The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara
2. Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein
3. War by Sebastian Junger

Emergency Management

Aerospace History
1. I Could Never Be So Lucky Again by Jimmy Doolittle
2. Big Friends, Little Friends (I will have to get the author's name when I get home)

Thoughts for titles as well as additional categories?

I don't think importing the USAF reading list will capture all the areas that CAP would require.

JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

Eclipse

Leadership:
1. Ender's Game
I highly recommend this to anyone involved with cadets - yes it's science fiction, however it focuses heavily on group dynamics, what makes a good leader and team, and the pressures of children playing the roles of adults.
2. Band of Brothers
3. We Were Soldiers Once, and Young

Concur on Starship Troopers

"That Others May Zoom"

CAP4117

Not exactly edge-of-your-seat reading, but the FEMA Independent Study programs are good (intro to emergency management, etc.) for the Emergency Management category.

RogueLeader

I concur with "I could never be so lucky again.". It's a wonderful read.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

davedove

CAP already has the Read to Lead program with a list of suggested reading. 8)

You can find it under the Links to PD Resources.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

AirDX

The CSAF's annual reading list (now including films and links to TED lectures) is always a good place to look:

http://www.af.mil/information/csafreading/index.asp
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

FlyTiger77

Quote from: davedove on May 02, 2012, 07:34:15 PM

Thanks, I had never noticed that. Of course, it doesn't look like it has been updated in 8 years, either, so it may not get noticed much.

Are there any other books/topics other than those listed that would aid in developing a "professional volunteer"?

SAR-EMT1

STRONGLY recommend "One Second After" by WILLIAM R. FORSTCHEN

A very good book on both [non traditional] emergency management and leadership, as well as group survival.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Private Investigator

Of course, "A Time for Patriots" by Dale Brown. I think it is a must read.   8)

davedove

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on May 03, 2012, 02:45:06 AM
Quote from: davedove on May 02, 2012, 07:34:15 PM

Thanks, I had never noticed that. Of course, it doesn't look like it has been updated in 8 years, either, so it may not get noticed much.

Are there any other books/topics other than those listed that would aid in developing a "professional volunteer"?

I don't think it gets much notice.  Probably someone said "Each military branch has a reading list, so we should too."  The list was made and then forgotten.

There are several good reads on there.  I haven't read them all yet, but the ones I have were very good.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

ol'fido

"Failure Is Not An Option" by Gene Kranz

"Beyond Band of Brothers: The War Diary of Richard Winters"

"American Patriot: The Life of George "Bud" Day" by Roger Coram
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

I read "Hero Next Door" by Frank A. Burnham (1974)  in the late 70's when I was a cadet.  I remember the Cadet Commander would occasionally do readings from the book at our meetings.  Just writing this makes me want to find a copy and read it again. 

Flying Pig

FlyTiger77

Quote from: Flying Pig on May 03, 2012, 04:49:23 PM
Why reinvent the wheel?

http://home.comcast.net/~antaylor1/usmccommandant.html

I understand that all services have their own reading lists and there is some overlap. The point was to find what would make a viable reading list for CAP based on the arguably different mission and make-up of the organization.

Walkman

One more: Robert Fulghum's "All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten"

SARDOC

Quote from: Eclipse on May 02, 2012, 06:05:27 PM
Leadership:
1. Ender's Game
I highly recommend this to anyone involved with cadets - yes it's science fiction, however it focuses heavily on group dynamics, what makes a good leader and team, and the pressures of children playing the roles of adults.
2. Band of Brothers
3. We Were Soldiers Once, and Young

Wow...Ender's Game.  I haven't heard that in a long time.  Absolutely Awesome Recommendation. Thanks

HGjunkie

Biggest Brother : The Life of Major Dick Winters, The Man Who Led the Band of Brothers

I'm echoing the band of brothers chorus here, but this book really is an awesome insight to his development from an enlisted soldier to the leader of E. Co.

I can't find my copy around the house, else I would read it again.

••• retired
2d Lt USAF

titanII

Quote from: HGjunkie on May 06, 2012, 12:07:02 AM
Biggest Brother : The Life of Major Dick Winters, The Man Who Led the Band of Brothers
I just started reading that today! Great book so far.

Also, I'd like to second "Failure is Not An Option" by Gene Kranz. Great book not only for Leadership but also for AE.
No longer active on CAP talk

Struts

To follow up on the Ender's Game recommendation...Ender's Shadow is also a good read to fall under the leadership/follower ship category. Both are also awesome reads.  8)