Main Menu

The compass you use

Started by ThatOneGuy, April 28, 2012, 10:13:13 PM

ThatOneGuy

Ok, so I know that there are a couple different compass threads, but they are all over two years old, so I decided to start a new one instead of reviving a two year old thread.

Anyways, a couple days ago I got the Brunton Eclipse 8099 compass for about $70 and it is pretty sweet. Kinda difficult to use so far, but this is the guy who got lost 4 times on the compass course at NESA  :-[ .What do you guys think about the 8099? I read a few reviews online and some said great, others said terrible   ??? .
Again I apologize for starting a new compass thread, but it it's dead for two years, people don't really like it being revived.  8)

Thanks a bunch!

Pylon

As far as I'm concerned, as long as I can field confirm a compass is accurate to within a few degrees, I'm fine with it.  I'm more comfortable with lensatics though, so I'm less familiar with what are the benefits to the "flat" compasses but it's really all about your personal comfort with using it.  YMMV.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

manfredvonrichthofen

Army issue style lensatic for me.

lordmonar

A lot of it depends on what you want/need to do with it.

The Orinteering type (sylvia, Bruton, Coleman) are really good for orinteering.....but they are not very accurate....i.e. in finding bearings and shooting azmuths.

The lensantic compass is really accurate on the bearing and azmuth shooting.....but difficult to work with if trying to plot and map your route.

If you say it is "sweet but kinda difficult"...........you just bought too much compass.

At $70 you spent about $40 too much for a compass.

I use and carry both types of compasses......one for in the field use and one for plotting and mapping.

I would suggest to anyone before the drop that kind of cash for a compass to find someone who already has one and borrow it for a weekend of doing compass courses.

If you are getting lost at CAMP ATTABERRY then I would have suggest you keep it simple and cheap until you have the skills where a $70 compass would make a difference.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Spaceman3750

I use a Commenga for azimuth work and a screwed up Silva for maps. The needle isn't any good as a compass any more but the protractor part is really handy.

NIN

I have a GI Issue lensatic (the old skool Tritium one.. That $17 on the statement of charges really hurt..) for navigating, and a small Silva in my map case for on-map work.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

RADIOMAN015

I have/utilize a Suunto M2 (about $25.00) for map orientation and also got a Walmart special for under $10.00 for azimuth work.  With the Walmart special I was concerned with quality for the price paid and had an expert backwoods hiker check it out with his $150.00 compass and it worked as well :o
RM   

ThatOneGuy

Thanks for all the informative answers! From what everyone is saying, it is safe to say that I overpaid for my compass. Oh well, live and learn I suppose.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: superLt1995 on April 29, 2012, 07:02:23 AM
Thanks for all the informative answers! From what everyone is saying, it is safe to say that I overpaid for my compass. Oh well, live and learn I suppose.

I disagree, I think that a good compass is worth the investment, but to every man his own.

sardak

QuoteThe Orinteering type (sylvia, Bruton, Coleman) are really good for orinteering.....but they are not very accurate....i.e. in finding bearings and shooting azmuths.
Not true at all. It's based on the features of the compass and the user. An "orienteering" compass with a sight can be just as accurate as any lensatic. And a lensatic in the wrong hands can be no better than a bargain bin "flat" compass without a sight.

As to the OP, yea, you overbought, but like you said, live and learn. There are plenty of compasses that do everythng you need, accurately, for a let less money and with far fewer "features."

And of course, there are the compasses for "real" orienteering like this: http://silva.se/products/sport/6-jet-spectra

Mike

lordmonar

Quote from: sardak on April 29, 2012, 07:41:37 AM
QuoteThe Orinteering type (sylvia, Bruton, Coleman) are really good for orinteering.....but they are not very accurate....i.e. in finding bearings and shooting azmuths.
Not true at all. It's based on the features of the compass and the user. An "orienteering" compass with a sight can be just as accurate as any lensatic. And a lensatic in the wrong hands can be no better than a bargain bin "flat" compass without a sight.
Sorry....but no it can't.  For the simple reason the degree scale on the bezel ring is only gradulated in on 5 degree incraments....ergo it is not capable of getting the accuracy of a compass graduated to mils. 
I use both types of compasses.  If you don't need Mil accuracy (such as in orinteering or CAP GT operations) then any flat compass will do the job.  I am not saying one is better then the other. 
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

sardak

Sorry, but you're confusing accuracy with precision. 1 mil, 1 degree, 5 degrees, whatever, is the precision (or resolution) of the instrument and not the accuracy. Accuracy depends on how well the device is made and used, hence my earlier comment about a lensatic being in the wrong hands. It's like a GPS unit. They typically display UTM coordinates to a precision of 1 meter, but that has nothing to do with accuracy. That depends on the quality of the GPS signal and the correct datum being used. A GPS can be set to the wrong datum, giving coordinates that are off by miles, i.e. the accuracy, but those wrong coordinates still have a precision of 1 meter. In other words, a GPS, a lensatic compass in mils or an orienteering compass in degrees can precisely give you inaccurate results.

Every non-lensatic compass I've owned and seen other serious SAR members use have the bezel in 2 degree increments, and these are on $20 compasses (or less). Pay a little more and you can get 1 degree increments. I have one more expensive compass that has a precision of 1/2 degree. I won't let someone use a compass with 5 degree increments. However, 2 degrees is adequate for what ground SAR needs, not mils. Competitive orienteers use compasses with no degree or mil markings.

While we're on the topic of accuracy vs precision, consider the map, too. The National Mapping Accuracy Standard (NMAS), to which USGS 7 1/2 minute topos are drawn, requires defined points and lines to be within 40 feet (12 meters) of true position. Most digital maps are scans of the paper maps drawn to the NMAS. As for the accuracy of the new USGS digital "US Topo" series maps, this is from USGS: These maps are as accurate as the data sources used to make them, but because these sources are many and varied, it is not possible to make a single simple statement that the map as a whole meets a particular level of accuracy.

Mike

Shawn W.

I just go with tried true and simple.. I use a lensatic compass.. Have for many years. Good Luck.

abdsp51

I prefer the tried and true lensatic I get issued from Uncle Sam.  Anyone know where I can find one at low cost?  I did pick up a Brunton today for about 10 bucks that's lensatic as well that I am going to go shoot the azimuths with for a land nav course this weekend. 

Stonewall

Bought a Silva Ranger at Ft. Bragg PX in 1993 based on the recommendation of a well diversed spook, ninja, warrior type and have yet to look back.

I used it in CAP & in the military. I carried my issued compass per unit SOP, but used the Ranger exclusively.  Used it at NGSAR (NESA) in 1999 when I designed an impromptu advanced land nav course and I used when planning routes for missions in the Army.  And yes, I still use it today in the Air Guard when we head to the field.
Serving since 1987.

Spartan

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

a2capt

I like the Silva Ranger I bought about 10 years ago. But I may not always have it, I made sure I was competent with standard issue lensatic type, too. You can pretty much always count on one of those being available, if not a Cracker Jack compass ;)

Equinox

Signature edited.  Violation of Membership Code of Conduct.

Dad2-4

I've always used Sylva and Brunton compasses. The first Silva I bought while in high school to use for Scouts and orienteering lasted a long time until I stepped on it and cracked the top. Then it got water and sand inside.
The $25 Brunton I have now I've been using for close to 6+ years and does everything I need it to. I do not like lensatic compasses and never felt I needed one.
I'm glad my MCJROTC enlisted instructor was a retired navigator and taught us well.