I really want to join CAP, DO I have to cut my hair?

Started by kyle413, April 14, 2012, 04:17:49 PM

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: usafcap1 on April 19, 2012, 07:30:01 AM
Quote from: Extremepredjudice on April 19, 2012, 01:26:55 AM
Quote from: Littleguy on April 19, 2012, 01:12:41 AM
Quote from: Extremepredjudice on April 19, 2012, 12:51:05 AM
Quote from: usafcap1 on April 19, 2012, 12:46:14 AM
Now if you were at my squadron we would give TWO chances before we 'd cut it off. . . but that my squadron.
What gives you the right to cut someone's hair off? ???
How does paying money to wear a uniform give them any right to disrespect the people who wore it in service to this country?  :o
Um, yeah, if you tried to cut my hair without permission, you'd be paying for my college. Being non-compliant with regulations doesn't give you the right to touch me or my hair.

We have contracts between cadets, parents, and staff.
MFW reading this: http://qkme.me/3ov5qx

Y U SO NAIVE! You are having a minor sign a contract, that makes it 'okay to abuse me.' Not only that, but chances are, you are pressuring them, which would make the contract void.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

The CyBorg is destroyed

Like heck you do.

Those "contracts" aren't worth tearing up and using in my cat's litterbox.

Are you a Squadron CC?  The term "abuse of authority" comes to mind.

You are bloody lucky someone hasn't gone up the chain with this...I know both my Group and Wing CC personally, and someone would be getting relieved of duty for something like this, if not having disciplinary action initiated against them.

There is nothing in CAP or Air Force regs that gives you that power.

In every squadron (except the senior flying club squadron, of course) I have ever served in, cadet and composite, it has been made perfectly clear to cadets by command staff what the expectations for hairstyle are, with pictures from 39-1.  That said, we did not have the authority, nor do you, to force a haircut on a MINOR, contract or no.

In my first squadron, just once I let my hair get a touch too long (no excuse, except for a brain fart).  My CC, a former Air Force officer, told me, "Lieutenant, before we leave tonight I want to chat with you for a minute."  The "chat" was her telling me, "Lieutenant, the next time I see you I shall expect your hairstyle to be within regulations."  It was.

Now I just buzz it all off...much of it's going bye-bye anyway.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

N Harmon

If parents give permission to CAP to cut their cadet's hair, and said permission is given in the form of a written permission slip (call it a contract, or whatever), then I'm not sure that is against the rules. I certainly would not want to waste my unit's time cutting cadet hair during meetings, but if others want to...whatever.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

Spaceman3750

Of course, there's also the regulatory compliance ramifications. Here in IL, cutters of hair (be it a barber or cosmetologist) must be licensed.

Stonewall

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on April 19, 2012, 06:57:35 PM
Of course, there's also the regulatory compliance ramifications. Here in IL, cutters of hair (be it a barber or cosmetologist) must be licensed.

Even in the military (Army, anyway), technically "barracks cuts" are unauthorized.  We had a company barber who went to Norfolk NAS to attend 6 weeks of barber school so he could cut our hair in the barracks.  Had a barber chair and everything.
Serving since 1987.

jeders

I don't know about IL, but I believe that only applies if you receive compensation for the haircut. So if mom or dad want to cut little Billy's hair, they don't need a license.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

titanII

Quote from: jeders on April 19, 2012, 07:40:40 PM
if mom or dad want to cut little Billy's hair, they don't need a license.
Well when we're talking about parents, it's a different animal. Parents get a bit more leeway, I would presume.
No longer active on CAP talk

Flying Pig

I actually offered free haircuts to cadets with parents permission.  The only stipuilation was that it had to be a flat top, and had to be outside of a meeting.  I was the unofficial barracks barber in the Marines and I can cut a mean flat top....but thats about it.  I had probably 4-5 takers and did it about 20 haricuts total.  I had some kids whos parents were pretty hard pressed to afford to have their kids in CAP, not to mention a hair cut every couple of weeks.  It seemed like a nice gesture and everyone had fun with it. We'd meet about an hour and a half before meetings, cut hair on the front lawn of our Sq building and then the cadets would walk a block to the base gym where they were allowed to use the showers and change into their uniforms.  Pre-9/11 March AFB, CA was a pretty sweet place to have a CAP Squadron.

But it was never forced or even mentioned that I would show up at an inspection and shave your head. 

Flying Pig

Quote from: Stonewall on April 19, 2012, 06:59:12 PM

Even in the military (Army, anyway), technically "barracks cuts" are unauthorized.  We had a company barber who went to Norfolk NAS to attend 6 weeks of barber school so he could cut our hair in the barracks.  Had a barber chair and everything.

HA!...Oh...I forgot to mention, my barracks barber days in the Marines came to an end when the ONE (1) base barber at the weapons station I was at found out why his business had declined significantly over the span of about 6 months.  What was pretty cool was the barber, retired Chief, didnt go to my command or throw a fit.  He located me in the barracks on day, calmy explained that the shop was how he made his living and that me giving $2 haircuts vs his $6 hair cuts was actually hurting him and that he paid rent on the little building he used as a shop.  I was a dumb 18-19 yr old LCpl who had never even considered that part of it.   So I stopped giving hair cuts and he and I actually eneded up with a pretty cordial relationship.   ;D  Now I wasnt so dumb that I didnt understand what his plan B would have been >:D  Those were good times actually.  Man I havnt thought about that story in 15 years probably.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: N Harmon on April 19, 2012, 06:53:40 PM
If parents give permission to CAP to cut their cadet's hair, and said permission is given in the form of a written permission slip (call it a contract, or whatever), then I'm not sure that is against the rules. I certainly would not want to waste my unit's time cutting cadet hair during meetings, but if others want to...whatever.

I wouldn't do it without the parents being present.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

AngelWings

Quote from: Flying Pig on April 19, 2012, 08:06:13 PM
I actually offered free haircuts to cadets with parents permission.  The only stipuilation was that it had to be a flat top, and had to be outside of a meeting.  I was the unofficial barracks barber in the Marines and I can cut a mean flat top....but thats about it.  I had probably 4-5 takers and did it about 20 haricuts total.  I had some kids whos parents were pretty hard pressed to afford to have their kids in CAP, not to mention a hair cut every couple of weeks.  It seemed like a nice gesture and everyone had fun with it. We'd meet about an hour and a half before meetings, cut hair on the front lawn of our Sq building and then the cadets would walk a block to the base gym where they were allowed to use the showers and change into their uniforms.  Pre-9/11 March AFB, CA was a pretty sweet place to have a CAP Squadron.

But it was never forced or even mentioned that I would show up at an inspection and shave your head.
That's just too cool. Only if I could somehow find a person who could give me a flat top willingly for free/cheap.

Cap'n

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on April 19, 2012, 02:50:19 AM
:o :o

Is your head conductive, with 3k bobby pins?

Probably.

...Well, that might have been a slight exaggeration. Either way, it takes a while to do my hair. ;)

FlyTiger77

JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

Extremepredjudice

I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

usafcap1

Quote from: PA Guy on April 19, 2012, 07:36:18 AM
Now if you were at my squadron we would give TWO chances before we 'd cut it off. . . but that my squadron.
How does paying money to wear a uniform give them any right to disrespect the people who wore it in service to this country?  :o
Um, yeah, if you tried to cut my hair without permission, you'd be paying for my college. Being non-compliant with regulations doesn't give you the right to touch me or my hair.

If the cadet doesn't comply with the regs show them the door.

Nooooooooo. . . we would most likely speak with the parents and say "your cadets hair is out of regs CAPR 39-1 we've told him that blah blah blah" something along those lines.
|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

usafcap1

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

usafcap1

Quote from: N Harmon on April 19, 2012, 06:53:40 PM

I fully agree

(Cadet 2008-2012)

usafcap1

Quote from: CyBorg on April 19, 2012, 06:35:42 PM

it has been made perfectly clear to cadets by command staff what the expectations for hairstyle are, with pictures from 39-1..

I get that and we do that but we then we proceed to said "If you wish to to not comply with CAPR 39-1" dot dot dot  then we would proceed to said " with the permission and compliance from your parents we will cut your hair.

(Cadet 2008-2012)

usafcap1

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on April 19, 2012, 04:46:02 PM

MFW reading this: http://qkme.me/3ov5qx

Y U SO NAIVE! You are having a minor sign a contract, that makes it 'okay to abuse me.' Not only that, but chances are, you are pressuring them, which would make the contract void.

We give chances to be nice. . . We send out emails to parents re hair and CAPR39-1. . . Do you think my staff wants to cut hair. . .

(Cadet 2008-2012)

usafcap1

Quote from: PA Guy on April 19, 2012, 07:36:18 AM

And the "contract" isn't worth the paper it is written on.  This is an unpleasant incident waiting to happen.  CAP isn't in the barber business.  If the cadet doesn't comply with the regs show them the door.

I agree, not so much with "If the cadet doesn't comply with the regs show them the door." because we as CAP want more members.

(Cadet 2008-2012)