I really want to join CAP, DO I have to cut my hair?

Started by kyle413, April 14, 2012, 04:17:49 PM

Eclipse

The regs say you have to have a compliant hairstyle and it cannot be "faddish".

If you want the privileges of membership, you have the responsibility of compliance with regulations.

No squadron CC, or anyone else in CAP, has the right to force a member to cut their hair, especially any nonsense about "or we'll cut it off".  Doing that is a great way to get terminated yourself, probably sued, and possibly arrested.

With that said, a Unit CC does have the right to discipline a cadet up to and including termination for non-compliance with grooming regulations.

"That Others May Zoom"

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Littleguy on April 19, 2012, 01:12:41 AM
Quote from: Extremepredjudice on April 19, 2012, 12:51:05 AM
Quote from: usafcap1 on April 19, 2012, 12:46:14 AM
Now if you were at my squadron we would give TWO chances before we 'd cut it off. . . but that my squadron.
What gives you the right to cut someone's hair off? ???
How does paying money to wear a uniform give them any right to disrespect the people who wore it in service to this country?  :o
Um, yeah, if you tried to cut my hair without permission, you'd be paying for my college. Being non-compliant with regulations doesn't give you the right to touch me or my hair.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Major Lord

Quote from: ColonelJack on April 14, 2012, 10:17:46 PM
I wish I could offer some advice.  My hair's in a race to see which will happen first - will it turn gray or will it fall out?

I was just combing what I've got left and looked at the hairs in the comb with mixed feelings.  They were gray ... but they were HAIR!

Jack

Rudyard Kipling wrote that "Hair is the pride of a woman, and the shame of a soldier" So some of us have less to be ashamed of than others......

Major Lord
p.s. Men talking about hair gel and bangs is just not right! You may need hormone therapy.
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Major Lord on April 19, 2012, 01:28:17 AM
I wish I could offer some advice.  My hair's in a race to see which will happen first - will it turn gray or will it fall out?

I was just combing what I've got left and looked at the hairs in the comb with mixed feelings.  They were gray ... but they were HAIR!

Jack

Rudyard Kipling wrote that "Hair is the pride of a woman, and the shame of a soldier" So some of us have less to be ashamed of than others......

Major Lord
p.s. Men talking about hair gel and bangs is just not right! You may need hormone therapy.
See: metrosexual

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

manfredvonrichthofen

Jack

Major Lord
:'(Just because I enjoy my hair, does not mean I am a girl... Lol

I actually went for me Wednesday ritual and cut my hair, yes cut my own hair. I have been cutting my own high and tight for almost seven years now, but this time I wasn't thinking too well about what I was doing and took my number two all the way across the top of my head... I was fading up the sides, and then... Brrrrrrrt... OH MY LORD WHAT HAVE I DONE?!?! Now I look straight out of basic with a half inh fuzz for a high and tight. And nj, I don't have my bangs any more. The only thing that keeps me from looking like a total private is that I am a lot more wrinkly than your average private...

AngelWings

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on April 19, 2012, 01:51:41 AM

Jack

Major Lord
:'(Just because I enjoy my hair, does not mean I am a girl... Lol

I actually went for me Wednesday ritual and cut my hair, yes cut my own hair. I have been cutting my own high and tight for almost seven years now, but this time I wasn't thinking too well about what I was doing and took my number two all the way across the top of my head... I was fading up the sides, and then... Brrrrrrrt... OH MY LORD WHAT HAVE I DONE?!?! Now I look straight out of basic with a half inh fuzz for a high and tight. And nj, I don't have my bangs any more. The only thing that keeps me from looking like a total private is that I am a lot more wrinkly than your average private...
I envy you, I have to pay to get it cut because I cannot get a decent fade or even a straight line when I do it.

Eclipse

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on April 19, 2012, 01:51:41 AMI actually went for me Wednesday ritual and cut my hair, yes cut my own hair. I have been cutting my own high and tight for almost seven years now, but this time I wasn't thinking too well about what I was doing and took my number two all the way across the top of my head... I was fading up the sides, and then... Brrrrrrrt... OH MY LORD WHAT HAVE I DONE?!?! Now I look straight out of basic with a half inh fuzz for a high and tight. And nj, I don't have my bangs any more. The only thing that keeps me from looking like a total private is that I am a lot more wrinkly than your average private...

I literally did the same thing last month - I'm usually a 1 on the sides, 2 on top, and my wife brought home a fancy new trimmer - so I skip a couple
of cuts here and there and do them myself.  I wasn't paying attention, snapped the guard down to zero, and it was too late before I noticed...

"That Others May Zoom"

Cap'n

I wish I could pull off short hair...I'm a girl, and currently use about ten bottles of hairspray, 3000 bobby pins, and two bottles of gel every month.

But as others have said, you can use gel and hair products to put it back- no worries. :)

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Pomegranate on April 19, 2012, 02:38:45 AM
I wish I could pull off short hair...I'm a girl, and currently use about ten bottles of hairspray, 3000 bobby pins, and two bottles of gel every month.

But as others have said, you can use gel and hair products to put it back- no worries. :)
:o :o

Is your head conductive, with 3k bobby pins?

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

titanII

I used to sport a high and tight, 2 on the sides and 4 on top. But that didn't really strike the fancy of a certain administrator at my school, so now it's just a 2 all around. May not look how I'd like, but it works for me.
No longer active on CAP talk

Slim

Quote from: Eclipse on April 19, 2012, 02:38:21 AM
I wasn't paying attention, snapped the guard down to zero, and it was too late before I noticed...

There are those who have.....and those who will.

Slim

usafcap1

Now if you were at my squadron we would give TWO chances before we 'd cut it off. . . but that my squadron.

All the cadets hand write a contract sign there names date it take it home have there parents sign and date it then cadet staff looks it over and signs it and dates it. and there you go
|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

usafcap1

Quote from: usafaux2004 on April 19, 2012, 12:48:26 AM

And how many times has your unit done this?

A few times but we have contracts cadets, parents, and staff sign them.

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

usafcap1

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on April 19, 2012, 01:26:55 AM
How does paying money to wear a uniform give them any right to disrespect the people who wore it in service to this country?  :o
Um, yeah, if you tried to cut my hair without permission, you'd be paying for my college. Being non-compliant with regulations doesn't give you the right to touch me or my hair.

We have contracts between cadets, parents, and staff.

(Cadet 2008-2012)

PA Guy

Quote from: usafcap1 on April 19, 2012, 07:30:01 AM
Quote from: Extremepredjudice on April 19, 2012, 01:26:55 AM

And the "contract" isn't worth the paper it is written on.  This is an unpleasant incident waiting to happen.  CAP isn't in the barber business.  If the cadet doesn't comply with the regs show them the door.

FlyTiger77

Quote from: usafcap1 on April 19, 2012, 07:30:01 AM

I would be interested to read one of those contracts. And to know how many parents sign them.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

manfredvonrichthofen

We push the haircuts like crazy, but we never force it. If we have an activity comming up that they really MUST BE CORRECT, I will tell cadets and their parents that if they need a hair cut and can't afford one or aren't able to go take the time to wait in a barber shop, I will, with a signed note from the parent, cut their hair for them. It makes it easier for us to be ok with sending them home from the activity telling them they can't participate because they aren't in compliance with regulations. It is just really hard to tell them they can't march in the parade even bough they have spent money on the uniforms and have taken their time to come out to the parade, just because their hair doesn't meet regulations. So, we gave you a chance for a free hair cut that will be within regulation, and you didn't take it. But from the get go, we explain and stress how important all of our regulations are, and how they must all be met, no matter how trivial they may seem. I hate sending a cadet home because of their hair, it really sucks, but those are the rules, and we must all obey them.

But no, I would never force a cadet to let me cut their hair, that is actuall a battery charge waiting to happen.

EDIT: fixing stupid iPhone mistakes, I doubt I got them all...

Stonewall

This may help explain things a little btter:

Quote from: AFI 36-2903
3.1.2. Hair-Male. Tapered appearance on both sides and the back of the head, both with and without headgear. A tapered appearance is one that when viewed from any angle outlines the member's hair so that it conforms to the shape of the head, curving inward to the natural termination point without eccentric directional flow, twists or spiking. A block-cut is permitted with tapered appearance. Hair will not exceed 1¼ inch in bulk, regardless of length and ¼ inch at natural termination point; allowing only closely cut or shaved hair on the back of the neck to touch the collar. Hair will not touch the ears or protrude under the front band of headgear. Cleanly shaven heads, military high-and-tight or flat-top cuts are authorized. Prohibited examples (not all inclusive) are Mohawk, mullet, cornrows, dreadlocks or etched design. Men are not authorized hair extensions.

I know a lot of men in the Air Force who quote the part in bold, because as long as while you're in uniform your bangs are Gellin' like Magellan, don't fall below the eyebrows, protrude from under the hat, or cause more than 1 1/4 inch of bulk when gelled back, then you're in-there like swimwear.
Serving since 1987.

Eclipse

Quote from: usafcap1 on April 19, 2012, 07:25:10 AM
A few times but we have contracts cadets, parents, and staff sign them.

Two points - the only members who can sign contracts in CAP are Wing CC's or other corporate officers, further, you cannot sign an
agreement which essentially says "it's OK to abuse me".  We all realize this is not your doing, and your CC is likely well intentioned,
but this is simply not what CAP is about, and we all know which road is paved with good intentions.

We require voluntary compliance with regs to participate, and do not coerce people beyond positive peer pressure or the withholding of
opportunity.  Anything else is just wrong and not in keeping with our core values, senior or cadet.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: Slim on April 19, 2012, 06:41:26 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on April 19, 2012, 02:38:21 AM
I wasn't paying attention, snapped the guard down to zero, and it was too late before I noticed...

There are those who have.....and those who will.

For those scoring at home, I believe I was successful this AM in my attempt to use the clippers properly this time, those who will see me this weekend will be the final judge...

"That Others May Zoom"