boots on sarex or live mission

Started by shoresfinest, January 16, 2012, 06:48:25 AM

bflynn

I was in ROTC long, long ago ;)  And it was Army ROTC, so ranger tabs and jump wings were the bigger thing.

Yes, it was before Seude combat boots were invented.  I'd put then in the same class as green nylon sided jungle boots.  Depending on your climate, they may be more appropriate for field work than black leather.  Certainly if I'm walking through a swamp, I don't want to be wearing leather anything because it will be ruined.

But uniform standards aren't judged on appropriate, they're judged on the rules written before the fact.

CivilAirPatrol123

Quote from: lordmonar on January 20, 2012, 11:08:49 PM
You know....I don't think the USAF even really cares too much about what AFROTC and AFJROTC are doing.

^ Agreed

FlyTiger77

In the Army I have lived in for the last 28 years, the regulations are not considered suggestions or good ideas or guidelines to be followed when convenient. They are the standard and the expectation is that they will be followed.

The fact that on occasion a leader plays "bet your bars" and authorizes a deviation not supported by the regulation does not negate the fact that the rules are still meant to be followed. You bet your bars at your peril and the leader who loses doesn't get to complain when (s)he gets hammered by a more senior leader.

To the OP, the USAF seude boots are not authorized for wear in CAP. There are no exceptions supported by regulation.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

bflynn

The takeaway I get from all this is that people need to relax.  And maybe that CAP uniform standards are a little tight in this area.  That doesn't excuse anyone from following them.

FWIW, current army Regulation 670-1 permit the wear of green jungle boots, but not in formation.  Standard issue black boots are still a required item.

Also, army commanding officers may authorize other boots for wear where appropriate.  So nobody has to bet their bars on it...

Spaceman3750

Quote from: bflynn on March 14, 2012, 06:49:24 PM
FWIW, current army Regulation 670-1 permit the wear of green jungle boots, but not in formation.  Standard issue black boots are still a required item.

Green jungle boots are still authorized for CAP.

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on March 14, 2012, 06:50:55 PM

Green jungle boots are still NOT authorized for CAP.
FTFY
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Eclipse

Green jungle boots are still authorized.

See pages 62, table 2-3:
(Hot-weather Tropical) Green or black cloth, or canvas and black leather with plain toe with zipper or elastic inserts.
5 Socks Plain black or white sock

(also "still not" would mean they never were, "not still" would mean they were but no longer are...)

"That Others May Zoom"

FlyTiger77

The takeaway I get from all this is that people need to relax.  And maybe that CAP uniform standards are a little tight in this area.  That doesn't excuse anyone from following them.

Also, army commanding officers may authorize other boots for wear where appropriate.  So nobody has to bet their bars on it...

1. This thread began with, and I responded to, a question about the green suede USAF boots that are part of the ABU and not about the green Viet Nam-era jungle boots. As Spaceman3750 (and Eclipse) stated, jungle boots are authorized by CAP regulation and are therefore not at issue here.

2. I haven't looked at 670-1 in a few months (and it is in need of updating even more than CAPM 39-1), but I believe that jungle boots are only authorized for wear with BDUs and the wear-out date for BDUs is nearly 5 years in the distant past. Therefore, de facto jungle boots can not now be worn in the Army regardless of your formation status.

2(A). Obviously, Army regulations are irrelevant to the OP. I merely commented on my take on the authority behind them based on previous comments above.

3. Having served from the central mountainous region of Korea to the desert wasteland that is Iraq, I have never had an occasion to deviate from footwear that meets the appropriate regulation. I would have to re-read 670-1 to find the section that allows officers to disregard the regulation to which you allude.

4. Somewhere in the application process, we all agreed voluntarily to follow the regulations of the Civil Air Patrol as part of the price of admission to the organization. That someone then holds us to the standards of those regulation should not be a surprise and should not be viewed as a leadership failure on that person's part. I would submit that a more accurate perception would be that that person is doing his/her job and taking it seriously. If we have issues with the uniform standards (or any other regulation or regulations) then perhaps the time to consider that was when we join or renewed.

If someone insists on wearing shorts and flip flops to work, then perhaps a lifeguard organization would be a better fit. If jeans are something (s)he wants to wear in uniform, then perhaps the Boy/Girl Scouts would work better.

On a baseball diamond, I would much rather have 11 players on defense, but, alas, the regulations limit me to nine (perhaps to keep baseball from being football). I can't rightfully fault the umpire for sending my extra two players back to the dugout or the league for fining me.

Call me simpleminded if you will, but that is the way I see it.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ol'fido

Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

SarDragon

I have to find a new place to host my kool grafix. My ISP no longer hosts sites. (Cox)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: SarDragon on March 15, 2012, 06:05:27 AM
I have to find a new place to host my kool grafix. My ISP no longer hosts sites. (Cox)
Imageshack, imgur, puush.

Webhosting I'd look at Ipage (look for when they are running a deal.). Or fatcow, but I think they are the same company.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"