Do ISRs use GMRS/FRS, or another service?

Started by vorter, December 12, 2011, 03:55:04 AM

vorter

So, I have a GMRS/FRS radio (Midland GXT1000VP4) and I want to use them with the ISRs (Icom IC-4008M) our squadron has.
This wont be for ES or anything like that, just for BCTs or airshows.

Basically, I want to know what service the IC-4008M uses.
C/2nd Lt Hyeung

Spaceman3750

Quote from: vorter on December 12, 2011, 03:55:04 AM
So, I have a GMRS/FRS radio (Midland GXT1000VP4) and I want to use them with the ISRs (Icom IC-4008M) our squadron has.
This wont be for ES or anything like that, just for BCTs or airshows.

Basically, I want to know what service the IC-4008M uses.

The ISRs use just that - ISR. Intra Squad Radios are like FRS but on DoD-exclusive frequencies. You cannot use your GMRS/FRS with ISRs.

vorter

:( Dang it.
Thanks

EDIT: Found this:
http://ba-marc.org/writeups/gmrs-frs-freq.htm
http://www.freqofnature.com/index.php?m=Common&p=Intra-Squad%20Radio

GMRS/FRS use frequencies around 462-467
ISR uses frequencies around 396-399
C/2nd Lt Hyeung

EMT-83

Even though the information is readily available from other sources, CAP members are not permitted to share CAP frequencies.

As silly as it sounds, you should edit your post to remove the information.

JetDriver777

its not a CAP frequency!

396.8750 ISR Channel 01
397.1250 ISR Channel 02
397.1750 ISR Channel 03
397.3750 ISR Channel 04
397.4250 ISR Channel 05
397.4750 ISR Channel 06
397.5500 ISR Channel 07
397.9500 ISR Channel 08
398.0500 ISR Channel 09
399.4250 ISR Channel 10
399.4750 ISR Channel 11
399.7250 ISR Channel 12
399.9250 ISR Channel 13
399.9500 ISR Channel 14
399.9750 ISR Channel 15

Google it!

EMT-83

They are military frequencies which CAP is authorized to use. The same rules apply, regardless if the information is available elsewhere.

JetDriver777

Im waiting for the CAP frequency police to come get me!

EMT-83

While it may be a joke to you, the cadet who posted information in violation of CAPR 100-1 has made public his name and unit number. His commander may have a different view of the regulations.

JetDriver777

These freq's are not in any way "secret"  or "classified"  you can get them in the manual of the Icom ISR radio from the Icom website.  or thousands of sites via Google.  What's your deal? 

they are NOT CAP freq's.  CAP cannot punish anyone for talking about them or publishing them.  If Uncle Sam was worried about it why would they let Icom and 1000's of other publish the freq's?

Relax!

EMT-83

The "deal" is a cadet violating regulations, probably unknowingly.

Obviously, that means nothing to you. His commander might not agree.

Major Lord

Although you would probably be struck from the book of life, you could set up what is known as a "Simplex Repeater" to cross band your FRS and ISR's. This receives on one channel, records the message, and rebroadcasts it on another channel ( or the same channel for that matter) Great for a drop and run repeater if you have high ground. My experience with the ISR's is that they perform even worse than FRS radios. My best semi-legal use of FRS radios came about by building a 35 foot long speaker mic cable, and taping the FRS radio to the top of an extendable pole for a base station. Failing that, you can send a cadet to go sit on a roof and act as the FRS net control director. FRS radios are so crappy, that even brother Haji has mostly given up using them to trigger IED's......

Oh yes, one of Japans famous manufacturers of illegal surveillance devices used the same frequency range for bugs and wiretaps, so don't be surprised if you hear the occasional conversation, even though they are wide banded and noisy.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

RRLE

Quote from: vorter on December 12, 2011, 03:55:04 AM
So, I have a GMRS/FRS radio (Midland GXT1000VP4)

If you are operating on the GMRS frequencies or are using the FRS frequencies at GMRS power levels you need a GMRS license. See the FCC page General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS), especially the section "General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) and Family Radio Service (FRS) Dual Devices".

kratclif

Motorola makes some narrowband compliant radios that cover the ISR frequencies. The APX7000 is available in a dual-band configuration and will do VHF-FM and P25 CAP channels and can maybe be programmed for ISRs too if you get the right frequency range in the radio; it's made in many different versions with many options. It could probably do P25 on ISR given the right flashcode!

Note that I am most definitely not suggesting anybody try the above! It's probably against all sorts of rules and regulations. There are better (and much cheaper) ways to operate on ISR: namely, use an Icom ISR radio.

Motorola also makes something called a VRS-750 that will attach to an XTL or Astro Spectra mobile radio and make it into a cross-band repeater (not delayed/recorded like a simplex repeater). Install one in your vehicle to give your ISR the ability to talk on CAP VHF-FM and P25 channels remotely through your mobile radio! Actually, I haven't checked to see if the VRS will operate in the ISR frequency band, so it may not work.

Now that might really get someone a 2b...but it's fun to think about the possibilities.

Kevin
Maj Kevin Ratcliff, CAP

Major Lord

Dear FCC,

Everything you have read here about operating "Real" radios on ISR, CAP using GMRS in any way, or cross banding licensed and unlicensed bands is just a joke, and no one here would ever do such a thing, since that would be naughty, unlawful, and bad for one's posture. Please send any demands for fines, cease and desist letters, or search warrants to:

General Anthony Pineda, Commander
U.S. Ranger Corps
Florida
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: Major Lord on December 12, 2011, 09:51:39 PM
Dear FCC,

Everything you have read here about operating "Real" radios on ISR, CAP using GMRS in any way, or cross banding licensed and unlicensed bands is just a joke, and no one here would ever do such a thing, since that would be naughty, unlawful, and bad for one's posture. Please send any demands for fines, cease and desist letters, or search warrants to:

General Anthony Pineda, Commander
U.S. Ranger Corps
Florida

>:D   :clap:   >:D
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student