"Heavily involved in National politics"

Started by SamFranklin, November 16, 2011, 05:18:54 AM

SamFranklin

Quote from: Skyray on August 11, 2007, 06:10:40 PM
I was a major and a lieutenant colonel at the time, and fairly heavily involved in National politics. 

Sincere question, not trolling . . . 

When someone says they are "heavily involved in National [CAP] politics," what does that mean? The quote above is 4 years old, but I hear remarks similar to it from time to time. Honestly, I don't understand the message the remark is supposed to convey.

--  Do people who say such things mean they are someone special, a minor celebrity? If so, to what end?

--  What is the substance of CAP politics, if there is any? My impression is that it refers to the silly jockeying for sinecure.

--  How does one become active in CAP politics?    (not that I want to sign up)

--  If there is no real substance to "politics" beyond self-serving behavior and the game of it all, why would someone admit to being involved in it?  This is not a rebuke to the OP. Honestly, I'm just baffled.

I've been in CAP several years, but I still do not understand the political or sociological aspects. Again, I'm not trying to be judgmental, I'm simply confused. Thank you.

lordmonar

- Yes
- Yes.....and empire building.
- You just have to sign up and play the game.
- No.....but the nature our organisation's structure lends itself to abuse by those who are not really good leaders.

For Skyray.....IIRC he came up short when he disagreed with a sitting wing commander.  He went "public" and got 2b'ed for it.  He then became one of those disgruntled former members.

I don't recall all the "facts" and I don't really know if Skyray got a bad deal or not.  But that's the game.....you can either not play....as most of us do....or you take your chances.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

NCRblues

"national politics" is really no different that region/wing/group/squadron politics, just on a bigger scale.

For those of us who want to make a difference and who want to be in a command slot one day, we are forced to play the game. If I could get to a wing king chair without playing, you bet I would, but I can't.

It really is unfortunate that those of us who want to command, in good faith for the members, have to play the game with those that do it for fun.

Maybe I will became Nat/CC one day and change it all...but until that day, I must play. Sort of a "danged if I do and danged if I don't" kind of game.
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

DBlair

Being deeply involved in the actual government political scene at the local, state, and federal levels, and also being involved in a wide variety of organizations (etc), I will say that every organization is filled with internal politics, regardless of what many try to claim. Actually, I'd venture to say that the internal politics of some organizations is actually worse/dirtier than actual governmental politics. Sad, but true.

What does it take to be involved in organizational politics? Well, networking and ultimately being brought into the inner loop/clique/circle, whatever you want to call it. Being buddy buddy with decision-makers and rising stars usually works well, making a positive impression in some way, is another strategy.

When someone says they are involved in organizational politics, it can range from knowing some of the key players and perhaps hearing a bit of the gossip, to the other end of the spectrum of actually being one of the key players, etc.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

coudano

one quick way to get involved is to get yourself appointed to the NB.

but any measure of sticking your head up above the wing level will suffice
careful though, it seems like a fair amount of people suffer from being the mole, in the giant game of whack-a-mole that is above-wing-politics.

Seen a lot of really dedicated people turn really sour after a few rounds of that.

FW

Quote from: coudano on November 16, 2011, 06:52:39 AM
Seen a lot of really dedicated people turn really sour after a few rounds of that.

Amen!

For some reason, many members seem to forget where they come from as they move up the levels of leadership in CAP.

Skyray, if I remember correctly, got involved in the politics of CAP after a friend of his had his membership terminated.  His involvment, along with a few others, led to some serious events leading to the establishment of our present governance system.  He was a disgruntled former member but, his status played a big part in the changes made in CAP.

IMHO, there is nothing wrong with being "heavily involved in the national politics" of CAP; just remember we are all in the same boat...