Main Menu

NESA question

Started by Extremepredjudice, November 01, 2011, 05:37:55 AM

Extremepredjudice

There was a visitor(cadet 1st. Lt.) from a different wing that swung by last meeting, he had his GTM1, and solo wings(glider), and was wearing a NESA patch.

I talked to him briefly about the NESA, and he maintained that his wing didn't require him to go to the review boards for NCSAs(just for the NESA), he also said that encampment was recommended, but not required. In addition to that, he said that you could attend multiple NCSAs in one year. (he attended the NESA and the Nat. Flight academy, in the same year. He said that his wing didn't "count" the NESA as a NCSA).

He said to check with my wing, and see if these policies are in my wing. (If anyone knows if FLWG follows this policy(off the top of their head), speak up!

Can someone respond to the statements, and let me know if they are correct or not?
If the cadet is correct, then I apologize for doubting him. :angel: :-[ :-X

Edited cause I mispelled something :-[ ::) >:(
Oh and chrome didn't catch it.  >:D
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Ed Bos

The National Emergency Services Academy is not run by the Cadet Programs directorate at NHQ, nor does it use the same National Activity selection processes. It's a different sort of activity because it's run as two week-long missions by the CAP Operations directorate. The requirements (such as an encampment) are not the same as the activities found at www.ncsas.com.

Bottom-line, if you'd like to attend NESA apply at http://nesa.cap.gov, when the application opens early next year.
EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

SarDragon

Yes, you can go to multiple NCSAs in one year. It depends on how your schedule works out (some desirable activities do overlap), the extent of your available budget, and your success during the various selection processes.

I can't find the info about needing or not needing encampment for NESA. I'm sure someone else will know.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Ed Bos

Quote from: SarDragon on November 01, 2011, 06:14:11 AM
I can't find the info about needing or not needing encampment for NESA. I'm sure someone else will know.

Not required.
EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

Al Sayre

While not required, I believe it is recommended.  I would be hesitant to approve a 13 yr old C/Amn to go to NESA if he hadn't done an encampment simply because there is the 1st time away from home issues we always see at encampment, and the NESA instructors have enough on their hands without throwing that in the mix.  I guess I would base approval on the age and maturity of the Cadet, although I would prefer they went to an encampment 1st as it is part of CP where NESA isn't.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Eclipse

As to review boards?  The process is whatever the respective wing wants to use, and some wings don't have enough cadets interested in
NCSA's to require an onerous process.

As mentioned, not all NCSAs are created equal (or even are NCSAs) Johnson Flight Academy uses the same site, instructors, and basic curriculum as
the National Flight Academy, and has even started using their application system, but it is not an NCSA, nor subject to the same pre-requisites.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

I've only gone to one NCSA, partially because of the review board process, and how far away it was from where the majority of our wing members are actually located.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: usafaux2004 on November 01, 2011, 01:09:46 PM
I've only gone to one NCSA, partially because of the review board process, and how far away it was from where the majority of our wing members are actually located.

Good to know the rest of us don't count >:D :P.

Just kidding, I know what you mean.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on November 01, 2011, 02:02:29 PM

Good to know the rest of us don't count >:D :P .

Just don't see why the process can't be made at the group level.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: usafaux2004 on November 01, 2011, 06:29:38 PM

Because groups vary too much from place to place. I could easily see where one group doesn't approve any of their cadets and another that approves all of them.

Also, it's really not that much of a pain to drive places if you really want to do something. I'm sorry, but I've driven Springfield -> Chicago at least five times this year for CAP, usually going up and back in the same day, because I wanted to participate in the SAREXs that were up there.

Our wing CV, CS, and others commute from southern IL to wing HQ at least once a month (though I will admit they are able to foot the bill better than folks our age)

Майор Хаткевич

The concept of self driving is great. To a 14-15 year old, who has to rely on mom and dad?

Which is my point.

Make wing guidelines, which the Group CP Officer should follow through on.

When I went, it was a written test, a uniform inspection, and a grilling interview. Outside of that last subjective part (and it wasn't very relevant), everything can be done on a smaller level, and passed on to wing for final decision. Do they even do the point raking thing?

PHall

Quote from: usafaux2004 on November 01, 2011, 06:29:38 PM

Because Groups don't pick people for NCSA's, Wings do. And not all Wings have Groups.

Майор Хаткевич

Wings that don't have groups are typically small, no?

Besides, the process can be done at Group, decided at wing.

ol'fido

Illinois has not done review boards in several years and when they did two boards were usually held, one in Springfield and one in Chicago. Where do you live that you were too far away?
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: ol'fido on November 01, 2011, 11:55:51 PM

Illinois has not done review boards in several years and when they did two boards were usually held, one in Springfield and one in Chicago. Where do you live that you were too far away?

For the 2005 NCSA season, Springfield was the only option...

Extremepredjudice

So basically, talk to wing DCP(through CoC) to see if FLWG requires review boards.

Thanks all ;D

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Dracosbane

While this is not something I can guarantee will happen every year, recently INWG has been running their encampment the week prior to the two weeks of NESA.  If you need an encampment and still want to attend NESA, you can, if approved, attend INWG encampment and NESA back to back.  This is, of course, if you can stand two solid weeks at Camp Atterbury, IN.  I had a cadet do this exact thing this past summer.  Granted, we live here so we know what to expect weather wise, and he's a high speed cadet that wanted to get it over with.

I don't recommend attending NESA without an encampment first. 

Extremepredjudice

I'm already signed up for FLWG winter encampment.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

spaatzmom

Florida Wing does have review boards and they are held at Special Acts(Activity) held generally in Jan/Feb.  Check the cadet website or ask your sqdn cp person.  Scheduled events are also listed on the right hand side of the wing website in a scrolling block.

Extremepredjudice

My question was, do I need thrm for the NESA.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor