Flordia Wing Winter Encampment

Started by colkemp, September 17, 2011, 01:28:46 AM

colkemp

Do we know the status if FLWG is going to have a winter encampment yet?

gallaher432

99.999999% there will be a FLWG Winter Enc this year. Just stay tuned to the flwg website, flcadet.com, for update and information on it.
Josh Gallaher, C/SMSgt, CAP
AFLT/CCS
SER-FL-432

MSG Mac

Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Extremepredjudice

I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

MSG Mac

I got that after receiving a FLWG message calling for applications for C/CC. Check with your Squadron or the FLWG Cadet Programs page.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Extremepredjudice

Flcadet's page says only C/CC apps are open.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

MSG Mac

Yes, it did. The question was when, where and and if the FLWG encampmant was being held. Also advised to check with his chain of command and the FLWG web page. Question answered!
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

colkemp

Quote from: MSG Mac on September 20, 2011, 12:11:33 AM
Yes, it did. The question was when, where and and if the FLWG encampmant was being held. Also advised to check with his chain of command and the FLWG web page. Question answered!
Not necessary,the website is outdated (due to it still showing last years info) and my chain of command has no clue since Im not in FLWG. Hint hint one of the reasons I asked on here.

http://flcadet.com/winterencampment.aspx

MSG Mac

The FLWG's Cadet programs staff is located on that website. Ask them for current information.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Extremepredjudice

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

pilot97

Is there going to be ATS at winter encampment?
C/MSgt.

MSG Mac

Quote from: pilot97 on October 10, 2011, 08:14:10 PM
Is there going to be ATS at winter encampment?

Not listed on the web site. You might want to contact the Encampment CC about it.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

yeahididthat

You don't want to go, the flwg encampments are not what they used to be,  >:( the first time cadets are not allowed to be called doolies. All we need to do now is to sell popcorn then we will be boy scouts.

davidsinn

Quote from: yeahididthat on December 04, 2011, 08:00:32 PM
the first time cadets are not allowed to be called doolies.

Because it's insulting, demeaning and hazing.

flwg encampments are not what they used to be, 

Sounds like a good thing then.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Stonewall

What? They can't call first timers "doolies"? That's blasphemy.

Seriously? FLWG encampments are just as good & sometimes better than others. Don't get caught up in the silliness like this. Going to a CAP encampment is the key to the gateway that opens up a lot of opportunities in CAP.

Go to the FLWG winter encampment and enjoy it. Its inevitable that everyone says their encampment was the coolest/toughest/baddest/best/you name it.  And just like my 1st encampment as a cadet at Tyndall AFB in 1987, yours will be better than all the others.
Serving since 1987.

DBlair

All we need to do now is to sell popcorn then we will be boy scouts.

...not quite.

Comparing CAP and BSA is like comparing apples to oranges. Let's not start this debate because there are many differences, and also, there are many areas in which the BSA has the advantage. I know many in CAP like to tease about the BSA, but let's not forget the reality of the important details.

I'm proud to be both a former Cadet and an Eagle Scout, and have continued my involvement in both well into my adult years. Each has had an impact on who/what I've become and I would not write-off either as insignificant. I recognize and appreciate the strengths, weaknesses, and mission-focus of each organization, as should you.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

yeahididthat

They have become a bunch of BS with all the hazing policies, I understand we are not the military, but we wear AF uniforms we are not the boy scouts. The first year cadets at the academy are called doolies. No where in the regs does it say I cannot call a cadet a doolie.

davidsinn

Quote from: yeahididthat on December 04, 2011, 10:08:15 PM
No where in the regs does it say I cannot call a cadet a doolie.

Actually it does. It says they shall be addressed by rank or called cadet.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Extremepredjudice

They have become a bunch of BS with all the hazing policies, I understand we are not the military, but we wear AF uniforms we are not the boy scouts. The first year cadets at the academy are called doolies. No where in the regs does it say I cannot call a cadet a doolie.
Where does it say you can?

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

NCRblues

In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

a2capt

Yeah, that's nice. Call the cadets, or anyone doolie at any activity I'm involved with and I'll be sure to duly show you the door. Call it BS and I'll folly it with paperwork to another two letter department.

You're right, this is not the military.

BillB

At my first encampment as a cadet, I was called Doolie. And that was 1947. The Air Force Academy calls First year cadets; Doolie. Historically for over 50 years 1st year encampment Cadets have been called Doolie When the comment that calling a cadet at encampment Doolie was first raised, I asked cadets about it. I asked if they thought it was demeaning. Of the 25 I talked to, 25 said No! Is this a case of Senior Members attempting to put their opinions and addressing problems that don't exist?
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Stonewall

I agree that the term "doolie" is not hazing nor is it demeaning.  I was called a doolie and thought it was cool.  Not sure where the term came from and I don't care.  I think it's no different than the USNA calling their new guys plebes.

My point is that a FLWG encampment is not weak, lame or soft simply because they can't call someone a doolie.  And any cadet that's still in the CAP program certainly doesn't have enough experience to say anything was tougher than something else.
Serving since 1987.

davidsinn

Quote from: Stonewall on December 04, 2011, 11:08:25 PM
I agree that the term "doolie" is not hazing nor is it demeaning.  I was called a doolie and thought it was cool.  Not sure where the term came from and I don't care.  I think it's no different than the USNA calling their new guys plebes.

My point is that a FLWG encampment is not weak, lame or soft simply because they can't call someone a doolie.  And any cadet that's still in the CAP program certainly doesn't have enough experience to say anything was tougher than something else.

The only non derogatory definitions I could find on the web merely state that a doolie is a freshman at USAFA. Thus the term is meant to be derogatory.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

yeahididthat

Ok I'm not a dam troll [redacted by mod]! Its tradition, and according to regs I can't say yes sergeant when addressed while in a flight, also I can call a cadet colonel a cadet instead of sir. (according to regs that is) Also cadets don't shine their boots, according to regs boots must be shined to a high gloss, so do we pick and choose regs we want to follow?! I have never seen a doolie (sorry a CADET) with high gloss boots.

yeahididthat

Quote from: BillB on December 04, 2011, 10:58:46 PM
At my first encampment as a cadet, I was called Doolie. And that was 1947. The Air Force Academy calls First year cadets; Doolie. Historically for over 50 years 1st year encampment Cadets have been called Doolie When the comment that calling a cadet at encampment Doolie was first raised, I asked cadets about it. I asked if they thought it was demeaning. Of the 25 I talked to, 25 said No! Is this a case of Senior Members attempting to put their opinions and addressing problems that don't exist?

THANK YOU, some one with some brain power left after the political correcting of CAP.

Stonewall

Quote from: yeahididthat on December 04, 2011, 11:31:59 PM
Ok I'm not a dam troll so STFU ok?! Its tradition, and according to regs I can't say yes sergeant when addressed while in a flight, also I can call a cadet colonel a cadet instead of sir. (according to regs that is) Also cadets don't shine their boots, according to regs boots must be shined to a high gloss, so do we pick and choose regs we want to follow?! I have never seen a doolie (sorry a CADET) with high gloss boots.

In the other thread you said you want to go to PJOC...

Quote from: yeahididthat on December 04, 2011, 07:50:27 PM
I am going to apply [to PJOC] this year; I hear if you don't pass PT they send you home.

Yes.  Please do.  And please, tell the PJOC cadre to STFU. 

I see you getting booted off this site real soon with that pathetic display of immaturity, disrespect and wanna-be bad ass attitude.
Serving since 1987.

Extremepredjudice

Ok I'm not a dam troll so STFU ok?! Its tradition, and according to regs I can't say yes sergeant when addressed while in a flight, also I can call a cadet colonel a cadet instead of sir. (according to regs that is) Also cadets don't shine their boots, according to regs boots must be shined to a high gloss, so do we pick and choose regs we want to follow?! I have never seen a doolie (sorry a CADET) with high gloss boots.
You are quoting the wrong regs. You only have to shine your boots when wearing them with your blues.

It is tradition in a lot of sports teams to haze new people. Is that ok?

I'd be amazed if this guy gets to PJOC. Even more amazed if he graduates.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

a2capt

Be more amazed if he makes his next review board.

My point with the doolie thing isn't so much as demeaning, as that is not what the program is about. There is enough stress and hassle going on at encampment for first time attendees, particularly basics, that they don't need more.

DBlair

1) Admittedly, hazing policies have changed since those in the 1990s and before, and while many may not agree with them, (like them or not) they are the official organizational policy across the entire country-- not just FL.

2) Yes, CAP wears a military uniform, but that doesn't in itself mean that CAP is thereby supposed to be Full Metal Jacket in organizational culture.

3) As mentioned previously, CAP is not the BSA and is an apples and oranges comparison. Also, while you are here bashing the BSA, if you opened your eyes, you'd see that there are a lot of things CAP is lacking when compared to the BSA. Before you continue using BSA as a punchline, perhaps you should open your eyes to the reality of each organization.

4) Civil Air Patrol is not the United States Air Force Academy.

5) Regarding CAP Regulations, if you were to be proficient in the relevant materials, you'd know where this is spelled out and what can/cannot be done.

Overall, your logic is weak with each argument being full of logical fallacies. It seems you are a member who has something against FLWG Encampment. Perhaps a Cadet sore about not getting a staff position? I suggest you step back, take a deep breath, learn more about CAP (including what it is and what it is not), and then if CAP is still something you feel is for you, work hard to progress and excel and perhaps you'll eventually get the staff position you wanted.

Cadet-- Before addressing the rest of your comments, I believe you need to stop for a moment, take a deep breath, adjust your attitude, and approach this situation in a different (and much more respectful) manner. This site provides a relaxed environment, but do not take that to mean it is appropriate for you to tell anyone to STFU-- especially with many of us being in CAP longer than you've been alive, not to mention the respect and courtesy due Senior Members/Officers. You comments show a problematic attitude, lack of organizational knowledge/experience, and a very bad and closed-minded approach.

To address some of your other comments... a SM can address a Cadet of any grade as "Cadet" or can opt to use the Cadet's Grade, such as "C/Col" in addressing him/her. Cadets should be addressing other Cadets by their Cadet Grade, and Sir/Ma'am as appropriate, not as "Cadet" when it is between Cadets. If you have never seen a Cadet with highly-polished boots, then I wonder how active you are, and it makes me curious about the relaxed-mindset of your unit. If none of the Cadets shine their boots, I ask you, why don't they/you? (Feel free to send me a PM, as I'd love to know to which FLWG unit you belong.)
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

NCRblues

This argument if WE think it is hazing or not does not matter at all...

It only takes one cadet to FEEL that he/she was hazed and BAM its hazing...

Have a nice argument troll....
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

titanII

IIRC "doolie" is derived from the Greek "doulos" meaning slave or servant. By that, I think that it's demeaning. But on the other hand, I doubt that most people are thinking "slave" when they call someone "doolie." They're probably just thinking "basic cadet." It's all in how you interpret it.
No longer active on CAP talk