Main Menu

Membership Ribbon

Started by ColonelJack, January 13, 2007, 10:08:38 PM

ColonelJack

First of all ... let me state that I do know what the regs say about ribbons.

That being said, let me ask a hypothetical (!) question:

I am rejoining CAP this year.  I had originally earned all the way from Levels 1 through 5 and am assured by the unit Personnel dude that I get to keep them and don't have to re-earn them.  But ... seeing as how I will have to go through Level 1 and CPPT again, does that mean I get a second Membership Ribbon?  Do I get to put a clasp on the current one I wear?  After all, it is awarded for successful completion of Level 1.

What say you?

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

JohnKachenmeister

OMG, Jack!

What... The "Silver Medal of Membership?????"

Another former CAP officer

DNall

I'd have my thierd now if that were the case. Ny the way, you only have to re-do CPPT, not the orientation course, but you do have to do opsec now also.

ColonelJack

You get the Silver Medal of Membership for directing traffic around a Level 1.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.

ColonelJack

Only CPPT?  I ask because my last on-duty day in CAP was in 1996, and I have seen how much things changed 'twixt then and now.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.

DNall

yeah, but the new level one comes to you on CD & junk/online so you can review the material w/o the formaility.

SarDragon

A reminder - in the 21st century, Level I = Orientation Course (or whatever the new name is) + CPPT + OpSec.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

DNall

right, and returning members have credit for level 1, they just have to repeat CPPT, and probably do not have credit for OPSEC so will have to do that, but don't need the orientation course.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: DNall on January 14, 2007, 07:57:10 AM
right, and returning members have credit for level 1, they just have to repeat CPPT, and probably do not have credit for OPSEC so will have to do that, but don't need the orientation course.

Only if the membership break has been less than two years. I had to retake Level I/CPPT.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

ColonelJack

That's primarily the point I was making ... my membership break is closing in on 11 years.  The "ribbon" question was really tongue-in-cheek, as I already knew the answer.  I was just trying to lighten up some rather serious stuff.

Once again, I do realize that I'll have to re-take the entire Level 1 program.  The base concern I had was about my existing credit for levels 2 through 5, and the Personnel CMSgt at the unit I'll be joining (yes, he's a retired Navy Master Chief, and he doesn't want to be an officer, so he's a CAP CMSgt) says I will not have to jump through all those hoops again.  Once my new Level 1 is confirmed, and I provide the certification for my GRW award, I'll be back to Level 5 in no time at all.

Or so he says.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.

arajca

Hawk200

Quote from: ColonelJack on January 14, 2007, 12:53:30 AM
You get the Silver Medal of Membership for directing traffic around a Level 1.

Because it's a wreck..?  :D

RiverAux

You won't have to jump through the hoops only if you still have your paperwork from completing them the first time.  If you don't you'll have to start from scratch as the chances that the unit still has it are almost 0 as they should have been destroyed a long time ago. 

Eclipse

A lot has changed since 1996, and there's a brand new level one curriculm anyway.

Its not going to kill you to retake it.

"That Others May Zoom"

DNall

You mean a better presentation of the same material. You just don't learn anything in Lvl I, at least anyone with any previous CAP experience doesn't. There's better way to get updated that I think he's going to have to do w/o or w/o the orientation portion of Lvl 1.

ColonelJack

Eclipse, I know it won't kill me.  I anticipated it and look forward to it.  As I said, a lot has changed since '96.

RiverAux ... the original paperwork I do not have.  The actual award certificates I do.  They're dated (and in the case of the GRW) numbered.  Surely someone at NHQ can correlate the dates and data.  Those records, as you said, are long gone.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.

arajca

The certificates should be all you need. Submit a COPY of each certificate with your CAPF 24 to have your level completions reinstated.

RiverAux

Yeah, certificates are probably even better.