Main Menu

Processing time on Lvl III

Started by jeders, June 30, 2011, 09:56:18 PM

jeders

Ok, I'm pretty sure this has been answered here within the last year, but I can't seem to find it. How long should/does it usually take for the form 24 for level 3 to be processed?

My situation is this, about 10 weeks ago, another member of my squadron and I completed our Level 3 and submitted our F24's. about two to two and a half weeks after that, his was posted to eServices. Five weeks after mine was submitted, however, there still had been no movement on it by wing. Finally at the beginning of June wing said they just received it, in other words they lost it and didn't really care. For two weeks it sat on the wing admins desk. Now it has been sitting with the Wing CC for signature for two weeks, or at least I have to assume that because now wing is just ignoring me.

I know this isn't normal, but is there a time limit that wing is supposed to act on these things by?
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Thrashed

I'm six months and waiting. I'm wondering if this professional development stuff is worth it.

Save the triangle thingy

Tubacap

I think your finding a lot of this sort of thing.  This might be an area where computer validation should be considered as good as an actual signature.  It is way easier to look at qualifications that are all in the computer somewhere, upload any information that is not included, and then have it go through a validation path.  I don't think a lot of this lag time is intentional, I think it is just there is no centralized desk, and a computer interface can provide that. 

I just sent in four CAPF 2as today for the Wing CC to sign.  They came back right away, but that is an awful lot for one guy to do if I'm sending him four and someone else sends him stuff.  It would be way easier to click yes on a checkbox for things that don't need to be legally signed.

I'm sure Colgan will have some insight!
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

DBlair

Mine was posted on eServices within (can't remember exactly) maybe 2 weeks.

The certificate was an entirely different story-- I received it later that year when presented (delivered) by USPS, so much for an official presentation or making it feel like much of an accomplishment.  :-\

In your situation, I'm thinking that it probably sat on several desks for a while, each time under a stack of other papers until they finally noticed it again-- seems to unfortunately be very common. To my knowledge, there is no time-limit as I've heard some horror stories of around a year or longer. I'd say to check on it every so often and have commanders encourage things along.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

jimmydeanno

When I did mine, about 4 years ago, it took 2 days.  YMMV.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

a2capt

It took about 3 days for my Level IV to happen, and that was within the last few months,  IIRC,  and the Level III was even less, back then. We did it all via eServices. No Form 24. Perhaps thats the problem here? Something that can actually get lost.

jeders

Quote from: Thrash on June 30, 2011, 09:58:32 PM
I'm six months and waiting. I'm wondering if this professional development stuff is worth it.

Wow, guess I shouldn't stress 2 and a half months so much then.

Quote from: jimmydeanno on June 30, 2011, 10:22:32 PM
When I did mine, about 4 years ago, it took 2 days.  YMMV.

At first glance I thought you were saying that it took 4 years to process. I'm glad to hear that some wings are on the ball when it comes to the sorts of things.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

ßτε

Quote from: a2capt on June 30, 2011, 11:14:57 PM
It took about 3 days for my Level IV to happen, and that was within the last few months,  IIRC,  and the Level III was even less, back then. We did it all via eServices. No Form 24. Perhaps thats the problem here? Something that can actually get lost.
I'm pretty sure it cannot be done in eServices. But the CAPF 24 can be submitted in an email with electronic signatures. It shouldn't take much longer than a few days if done this way. If you are submitting a paper CAPF 24, I can see it taking up to a month. If it is more than that, you should probably follow up with the wing PDO. 

Eclipse

Assuming all required substantiation is included, anything more than a week is unacceptable.

There isn't an echelon in this organization that is doing more than a handful a month, and most wings less than a few a year.

NHQ posts them same or next day, so the lead time is in front of that, and artificially imposed via either inertia or negligence.

"That Others May Zoom"

Patterson

Quote from: Tubacap on June 30, 2011, 10:02:35 PM
I just sent in four CAPF 2as today for the Wing CC to sign.  They came back right away, but that is an awful lot for one guy to do if I'm sending him four and someone else sends him stuff.  It would be way easier to click yes on a checkbox for things that don't need to be legally signed.

Wow!  I must send any items needing action by higher HQ to my Group, wait for them to approve, then they send it to Wing and if I am lucky they send it Maxwell.  When it is something I must get Region to sign off on, I figure I have a fifty-fifty chance.

As a Squadron Commander, I get really tired of the "wait and hope" game.  I wish I could send my items to the Wing Commander directly!!

I have been waiting on my Level IV for nearly 5 months.  It is truly a shame that before computers, CAP seemed to act much quicker on these types of things!

Tubacap

Quote from: Patterson on July 01, 2011, 12:48:32 AM
Wow!  I must send any items needing action by higher HQ to my Group, wait for them to approve, then they send it to Wing and if I am lucky they send it Maxwell.  When it is something I must get Region to sign off on, I figure I have a fifty-fifty chance.

As a Squadron Commander, I get really tired of the "wait and hope" game.  I wish I could send my items to the Wing Commander directly!!

I have been waiting on my Level IV for nearly 5 months.  It is truly a shame that before computers, CAP seemed to act much quicker on these types of things!

The only reason is I'm the Wing Staff Officer that takes care of these things, and for finds, the approving authority is the Wing CC as opposed to all echelons.
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

Al Sayre

Whenever possible, use the electronic form and send it via email.  Attach the form and scan in and attach any supporting documents and then in your email quote the appropriate note from the forms page.  If it doesn't show up at national, forward the original email again and add something polite like "you must have missed this the first time I sent it..." Most the one I've processed as a SQ/CC took less than a week to post at NHQ.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

EMT-83

When submitting scanned documents, make sure they are very high quality. They will be printed, signed and scanned again and emailed to NHQ. I've had forms that were of such poor quality that they couldn't be read. Then the member takes offense that I ask for the original documents.

Proof of attendance at conferences is the item that holds up more Level 3 applications than anything else. An actual certificate of attendance or a participation letter from your CC will speed things along. Plan ahead – get the documentation at the time of the conference.

I do PD paperwork twice per month, which is how often I meet with the Wing CC. I happen to think that's a reasonable time frame. Once NHQ gets the applications, Level 3 and 4 show up in eServices within a couple of days. The actual certificate arrives within a couple of weeks.

Level 5 goes into the black hole at Region; they can take several months, and then just show up randomly.

EMT-83

Level 2 through 5 all require a Form 24. Level 2 is submitted directly to NHQ by the squadron.

Eclipse

Where in eServices?  PD levels are one of the last vestiges that require "paper" (virtual or otherwise), because most require submitting
verification of things like conferences or similar which aren't recorded in eServices.

"That Others May Zoom"

Grumpy

Quote from: DBlair on June 30, 2011, 10:12:59 PM
Mine was posted on eServices within (can't remember exactly) maybe 2 weeks.

The certificate was an entirely different story-- I received it later that year when presented (delivered) by USPS, so much for an official presentation or making it feel like much of an accomplishment.  :-\

In your situation, I'm thinking that it probably sat on several desks for a while, each time under a stack of other papers until they finally noticed it again-- seems to unfortunately be very common. To my knowledge, there is no time-limit as I've heard some horror stories of around a year or longer. I'd say to check on it every so often and have commanders encourage things along.

You shouldn't have to do that but, unfortunately, you do.  I had a member get his Level III handed to him by the Group Commander while at a SAREX.  The Group/CC walked up to him in passing and handed him an envelope as if to say, "Oh, by the way, here".

Our squadron commander finished his in February.  He's still waiting.

a2capt

Thats what I meant, electronic Form 24, emailed via "the chain", not eServices. In 3 days and it showed on eServices, is where I got the eServices from. About a month later the certificate came in the mail to group HQ and when I saw the group CC at the evaluated SAREX, he presented it to me. Odd setting, but still cool, it worked. Some people saw it. :)

Grumpy

Quote from: a2capt on July 01, 2011, 03:47:27 AM
That's what I meant, electronic Form 24, emailed via "the chain", not eServices. In 3 days and it showed on eServices, is where I got the eServices from. About a month later the certificate came in the mail to group HQ and when I saw the group CC at the evaluated SAREX, he presented it to me. Odd setting, but still cool, it worked. Some people saw it. :)

Regulations say that certain awards will be awarded by certain individuals, commanders, politicians (Yuk), etc.  I haven't seen our group commander at a squadron meeting in his four years as Group CC.  Have you?

Eclipse

Quote from: Grumpy on July 01, 2011, 04:14:17 AMRegulations say that certain awards will be awarded by certain individuals, commanders, politicians (Yuk), etc.  I haven't seen our group commander at a squadron meeting in his four years as Group CC.  Have you?

Only for cadets.

Have you had any Mitchells in that time?  That is a Group CC's award.

"That Others May Zoom"

Grumpy

Quote from: Eclipse on July 01, 2011, 04:25:23 AM
Quote from: Grumpy on July 01, 2011, 04:14:17 AMRegulations say that certain awards will be awarded by certain individuals, commanders, politicians (Yuk), etc.  I haven't seen our group commander at a squadron meeting in his four years as Group CC.  Have you?

Only for cadets.

Have you had any Mitchells in that time?  That is a Group CC's award.

Yes, we've had several.  We held them and held them and finally gave them out ourselves.  The good news is that with the automated system, they are recorded in eServices.  The whole system needs work.  I'm hoping after August things will change.