Main Menu

Winter Encampment

Started by shlebz, June 14, 2011, 05:21:33 PM

shlebz

which states have winter encampments, and what would i have to do to apply/be able to go to them? thanks!
do any states near WI have winter encampments?
C/1stLt Shelby Heberling
Mitchell #59813

JROB

I know that Texas Wing puts on a great winter encampment.  http://www.texascadet.org
Maj. Jason Robinson
Squadron Commander, Desoto Composite Squadron
SER-MS-096

"If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life"-Igor Sikorsky

HGjunkie

Florida Wing has winter encampments.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

CAPC/officer125

KSWG is closer and cheaper than the other two mentioned. This year we had to up the price from $100 to $115, but it is still cheaper and will be closer than FLWG or TXWG.
Start looking at kswg.cap.gov around August for applications for basic cadets and ATF cadets. I would start checking there towards the end of this month and into July for staff applications.
If you have any questions about it, feel free to PM me.

C/LtCol Pat Temaat
2010 C/DC
2009 2nd Sq/CC
2007 Alpha Flt/CC
2006 Bravo Flt/Sgt
2005 Basic
C/LtCol Priscilla (Pat) Temaat
Eaker #2228
Earhart #14523
KS-001- KSWG HQ staff
2012 Joint Dakota Cadet Leadership Encampment Cadet Commander

MSG Mac

Quote from: CAPC/officer125 on June 14, 2011, 08:36:20 PM
KSWG is closer and cheaper than the other two mentioned. This year we had to up the price from $100 to $115, but it is still cheaper and will be closer than FLWG or TXWG.
Start looking at kswg.cap.gov around August for applications for basic cadets and ATF cadets. I would start checking there towards the end of this month and into July for staff applications.
If you have any questions about it, feel free to PM me.

C/LtCol Pat Temaat
2010 C/DC
2009 2nd Sq/CC
2007 Alpha Flt/CC
2006 Bravo Flt/Sgt
2005 Basic

Florida doesn't require cold weather gear, classes on recognizing frostbite and other cold weather hazards. No chance of getting snowed in. Average temperature in December 72 degree high, low of 47 in Jax (Camp Blanding), if the encampment is at Eglin AFB High 70, low 40. 
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

HGjunkie

Quote from: MSG Mac on June 15, 2011, 12:53:49 AM
Florida doesn't require cold weather gear, classes on recognizing frostbite and other cold weather hazards. No chance of getting snowed in. Average temperature in December 72 degree high, low of 47 in Jax (Camp Blanding), if the encampment is at Eglin AFB High 70, low 40.

We've had to have cadets bring cold weather stuff for the past 2 years. It's cold and windy during mornings and evenings.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

SarDragon

I lived in Orange Park for three years, and there were many winter mornings where there was crunchy grass. That's in the frost range (30s).
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

shlebz

i live in wisconsin, believe me i have plenty of cold weather gear lol
C/1stLt Shelby Heberling
Mitchell #59813

DC

Quote from: shlebz on June 15, 2011, 03:47:54 AM
i live in wisconsin, believe me i have plenty of cold weather gear lol
So you'll save on checked baggage fees! Winter encampments in Florida are typically held at Tyndall AFB, though Camp Blanding is also possible. Night temperature range will probably be somewhere between 30 and 60 degrees, and it should get up into the 70s during the day.

I went to an SER winter encampment at Tyndall in 2005 and we spent the majority of the week with our sleeves rolled up, I think I wore my M-65 one day out of seven.

MSG Mac

Quote from: SarDragon on June 15, 2011, 03:14:08 AM
I lived in Orange Park for three years, and there were many winter mornings where there was crunchy grass. That's in the frost range (30s).

Crunchy frost that disappears as soon as the sun rises does not have to be shoveled. White stuff that falls from the sky does in great quantities.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

SarDragon

I was addressing temperatures, not condensed water vapor, in either form.  :)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

1LtNurseOfficer

Quote from: MSG Mac on June 15, 2011, 12:53:49 AM

Umm.......... FLWG Winter Encampment (UNIFORM/EQUIPMENT) does require cold weather gear.

.................... back to the regularly scheduled thread .....................

CAPC/officer125

Looking at overall cost including flying and the encampment, KSWG is cheapest. It is also the closet to their known environment and in their region. Checked bags may add a little the cost but still KSWG is cheaper. They are a C/2ndLt, therefore they have at least one encampment and should know what and how to pack to get the best experience.
Also, I am sure that FLWG and TXWG usually don't have a problem with getting the correct quantity of staff members. KSWG is in great need of staff applicants due to the growth of the encampment. We have gone from 30-40 total cadets (staff included) to 140 total cadets in 5 years, with at growth from 70 or so to 140 in a year. Anybody coming to KSWG to staff would be a great asset to a wonderful, fun encampment.
Eaker #2228
Earhart #14523
KS-001- KSWG HQ staff

kmbarnes1

Sorry for the stupid question but I don't want to assume. Is Winter encampment the same as Summer encampment? Same/similar activities, lessons, etc? Do cadets still earn the encampment ribbon? Or are they different in someway (other than when it takes place)?
Kurt Barnes, 1st Lt, CAP
Assistant Deputy Commander of Cadets
Information Technology Officer
Coastal Charleston Composite Squadron (MER-SC-056)

CAPC/officer125

Quote from: kmbarnes1 on June 16, 2011, 05:49:53 PM
Sorry for the stupid question but I don't want to assume. Is Winter encampment the same as Summer encampment? Same/similar activities, lessons, etc? Do cadets still earn the encampment ribbon? Or are they different in someway (other than when it takes place)?
In KSWG, we do not host a summer encampment. However, everything that is required for it to be called an encampment is completed. In essence, a winter encampment is just a summer encampment at a different time. There are different activities due to weather restrictions (in some places). The lessons are the same (mostly) because there are certain classes that are required for every cadet to take at an encampment. Encampment ribbons are earned just the same.
Eaker #2228
Earhart #14523
KS-001- KSWG HQ staff

nicktavegia

I'll be applying as STAFF to the Florida Wing Winter Encampment as soon as 'the doors open'.  Just completed ATF (ATS)
Semper Vigilans,
C/MSgt Nicholas Tavegia
Flight Sergeant Bartow Etowah Composite Squadron
Cadet of the Quarter

HGjunkie

Quote from: nicktavegia on July 08, 2011, 06:38:32 PM
I'll be applying as STAFF to the Florida Wing Winter Encampment as soon as 'the doors open'.  Just completed ATF (ATS)

I think the app period will open up in the August/September timeframe.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Hawk_Girl

Quote from: HGjunkie on July 08, 2011, 06:41:10 PM
Quote from: nicktavegia on July 08, 2011, 06:38:32 PM

I think the app period will open up in the August/September timeframe.

Yeah, that is when they normally are. You can keep an eye out for updates at flcadet.com

Good luck and I hope to see you there! :)

"The size of your success is measured by the strength of your desire; the size of your dream; and how you handle disappointment along the way." ~ Robert Kiyosaki

Capt Hudgins

Two posts down from this one is information about the KS Winter Encampment.  We are accepting applications now for Command and Cadet Staff.   There will be three advanced training flights offered - Honor Guard, Emergency Services, and NCO Leadership. 

Information about signing up can be found on the KS Wing website - kswg.cap.gov.  If you have questions you can direct them to encampment@kswg.cap.gov.

nicktavegia

Kansas is just too far or I'd apply immediately.  I thought about it last year, but my family cannot afford the transportation costs or time off / travel.
Semper Vigilans,
C/MSgt Nicholas Tavegia
Flight Sergeant Bartow Etowah Composite Squadron
Cadet of the Quarter