103rd OS (Yokota AFB, Japan)

Started by mclarke, May 21, 2011, 01:07:37 AM

AirDX

HIWG is set up for the island structure - and we have a call-in teleconference number for staff meetings.
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Al Sayre on July 25, 2011, 07:19:47 PM
Yes but the VI's are US territories.  The RMI is an independent nation, and travelling to staff meetings would be problematic...

Exactimundo! As a civilian contractor, I can't fly on the AMC charter (Air Transport International) unless I'm traveling on TDY orders, medical emergency/referral or PCS. (Unless one is blessed with retired military status.) Flying to Honolulu is an expensive proposition, and 'Unitednental' is the only game in town. ($1300 for a round trip ticket ain't nothing to sneeze at!). Plus the only flight out (three times weekly) gets to Hono at 3:30 in the morning.

The time difference between Hawaii and the Marshall Islands isn't too bad - we're two hours behind them and since we cross the international date line, it's the following day. Teleconferences shouldn't be a problem - we are connected via satellite to a local exchange in California (Camp Roberts), so it's not an international call. But the NTA (RMI National Telecom Authority) demands its beak be wetted - outgoing calls off island incur a 7 cents per minute surcharge.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

PHall

Quote from: lordmonar on July 25, 2011, 07:08:25 PM
Quote from: AlphaSigOU on July 25, 2011, 05:16:29 AM
And the next person that asks me why I haven't started an overseas cadet squadron on Kwajalein is going to get shot!  ;D

While we have a decent population of school-age kids, current CAP regulations only allow the formation of overseas cadet squadrons at Air Force installations. (We're an Army installation, but the green-suit population is only about a dozen; the inmates - ahem, civilian contractors - run the asylum.) Most contract tours are for one or two years, though some have extended their contracts for years.
I could talk informally with the new National Commander when I'm at NSC in October but there's no guarantee that any change to the regulations will happen.

I wonder if you could get with HIWG and form a squadron/flight under them.

That is how the Virgin Island Squadron got formed (under PRWG). 

If the rules don't fit.......find a work around....:)

You're missing the point Pat. The USVI are American territory, just like Puerto Rico. Kwajalien is part of the Federated States of Micronesia.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: PHall on July 26, 2011, 06:38:16 AM
And the next person that asks me why I haven't started an overseas cadet squadron on Kwajalein is going to get shot!  ;D

While we have a decent population of school-age kids, current CAP regulations only allow the formation of overseas cadet squadrons at Air Force installations. (We're an Army installation, but the green-suit population is only about a dozen; the inmates - ahem, civilian contractors - run the asylum.) Most contract tours are for one or two years, though some have extended their contracts for years.
I could talk informally with the new National Commander when I'm at NSC in October but there's no guarantee that any change to the regulations will happen.

If the rules don't fit.......find a work around.... :)

You're missing the point Pat. The USVI are American territory, just like Puerto Rico. Kwajalien is part of the Federated States of Micronesia.

Nope... Kwajalein is part of the Republic of the Marshall Islands. The Federated States of Micronesia consists of Kosrae, Pohnpei, Chuuk (Truk) and Yap.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

AirDX

Read the regs... not much in the way of a loophole there.  And you're a lowlife contractor besides! :-)

I can say that, I've been the lowlife contractor myself!
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

PHall

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on July 26, 2011, 06:57:32 AM

If the rules don't fit.......find a work around.... :)

Nope... Kwajalein is part of the Republic of the Marshall Islands. The Federated States of Micronesia consists of Kosrae, Pohnpei, Chuuk (Truk) and Yap.

Either way, it's not "official" US territory.

harris5685

If there is anyway we can help folks out, please let us know. It is very challenging to run a CAP squadron overseas, the high rotation of personnel, restriction to Cadet Squadron status, etc. Fortunately, here at Yokota we have alot of folks who are active in the Medical side, and the USAF Search and Rescue side, so we are doing exercises at military locations for search and rescue, using AeroClub aircraft for flying training, etc. It is alot different than my years in Misawa, where we did not have these resources.

I've started a thread for Yokota CAP history inquiries, so I can put that on our unit's web site. If you have any Yokota CAP history, photos, data, please toss in your data, it woudl be greatly appreciated!

I'm also trying to get POC information on any CAP members in the Asian threater, so units/people can find each other.

We would also like to consider the possibility of hosting a CAP function for those stationed in the Asian/Far Pacific/Indian Ocean theater next year...so if anyone has info, or ideas, please let me know!

v/r,

www.yokotacap.com
Captain S. Harris
NHQ OS 103
Public Affairs Officer
www.yokotacap.com

ol'fido

Tell Irish that Randy Mitchell says "Hey, how's it going? ;D ;D"
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

harris5685

He says "Hi" back,....and says drop him a line at brian.porter@yokota.af.mil

:)

Captain S. Harris
NHQ OS 103
Public Affairs Officer
www.yokotacap.com

NHQ-OS-126 Frank

Lt. Harris,

Greetings from Europe  NHQ-OS-126     Spangdahlem AB/Germany.

We lost about 3 cadets this summer because of PCS'ing.  Now when schools starts again, we have to do a new recruiting drive to replace these cadets and hopefully getting a few new ones too.

Not easy to have continuity on cadet and senior level with PCS and TDY's going on and parents who have no time to drop the kids off...... etc.
Deputy commander
Aerospace Education Officer
NHQ-OS-126 Spangdahlem AB
Germany
www.facebook.com/capspangdahlem
LX1MG

harris5685

Sorry I haven't posted back to this thread, it's been a pretty busy here in Tokyo.

We lost some folks too, but overall we had a net gain, and our numbers are larger than ever. We are very fortunate to have a close working relationship with the Aeroclub here on base, and in fact most of the instructors are in the CAP.

What kind of challenges are you having with local nationals who wish to be patrons and help out? Are you able to work with your German counterparts in the Cadet Exchange Program? Does your base provide you with enough building/supplies for your unit?

Captain S. Harris
NHQ OS 103
Public Affairs Officer
www.yokotacap.com