103rd OS (Yokota AFB, Japan)

Started by mclarke, May 21, 2011, 01:07:37 AM

mclarke

So, they have a website but no contact information except meeting time/location. Just curious if anyone has any idea how I can get some contact information. I may be getting married in July (not sure the month) while my gf is on leave, and if it happens, I will be moving there. My concern is I do not want to have to leave CAP, and we may be in Japan 2 years (which I believe means I will need to redo everything if I am a non-member 2 years). Would be nice to move to the base with the new wife and also remain in CAP... Any advice/information that can help?

ol'fido

Contact Maj Brian  "Irish" Porter brian.porter@yokota.af.mil He is with the 374th OSS and can probably help you out. He is with IL Group 1 as well. Good people him and his family.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

SarDragon

You don't need to leave CAP. Become a patron member, or arrange with your unit to stay on the rolls while you are out of the country. As long as your leadership is in the loop, you shouldn't have any problems.

The Yokota unit has been on-again, off-again for a long time. Sometimes it's a booming squadron, like when I was in 113 up in Misawa, and other times, it's almost dead. Have you looked in the eServices unit directory? It's so-so current.

Good luck.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

mclarke

Quote from: ol'fido on May 21, 2011, 01:36:14 AM
Contact Maj Brian  "Irish" Porter brian.porter@yokota.af.mil He is with the 374th OSS and can probably help you out. He is with IL Group 1 as well. Good people him and his family.

Awesome, my gf is there now, so I can always have her run over there is need be and get some contact information. This is VERY helpful though. I have been looking everywhere. Sad thing, I am already working with her first shirt to have her as a guest speaker on her leave. you have no idea how much this is helps.

mclarke

Quote from: SarDragon on May 21, 2011, 01:41:11 AM
You don't need to leave CAP. Become a patron member, or arrange with your unit to stay on the rolls while you are out of the country. As long as your leadership is in the loop, you shouldn't have any problems.

The Yokota unit has been on-again, off-again for a long time. Sometimes it's a booming squadron, like when I was in 113 up in Misawa, and other times, it's almost dead. Have you looked in the eServices unit directory? It's so-so current.

Good luck.

I had not looked into the patron side. I realize the benefit, however, I very much want to stay active in the ES sides of things (hence why I joined), so patron would only save me from losing everything. However, I have to admit, I tried looking on EServ and I will be honest, it confuses me a lot. So many links, so many of them I will never use.

ol'fido

ol'fido

Also, Irish is now Lt Col. My bad.

SarDragon

For the OP - you will be unable to do much of anything in ES while in an OS squadron. It's CP all the way. In Misawa, we managed a couple of first aid classes, and helped out the AF by being "victims" at a couple of their exercises, but that was about it. We also managed a small encampment one year, too, with folks from Misawa, Yokota, and Okinawa.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

mclarke

Quote from: SarDragon on May 21, 2011, 02:12:32 AM
For the OP - you will be unable to do much of anything in ES while in an OS squadron. It's CP all the way. In Misawa, we managed a couple of first aid classes, and helped out the AF by being "victims" at a couple of their exercises, but that was about it. We also managed a small encampment one year, too, with folks from Misawa, Yokota, and Okinawa.

I gathered as much, however, for our time in Japan I am mostly just hoping to keep up my quals. I figure when we come stateside then I will be able to do more ES. I just do not want to lose my quals. Thank g-d I was army though, least I am use to the military life.

SarDragon

Unless you have available people, there is no way to get SQTRs signed off. I suggest that you get as much updated just before you leave, so your three year clock starts as late as possible. I don't know of any other way to stay in qual.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

mclarke

Quote from: SarDragon on May 21, 2011, 02:31:47 AM
Unless you have available people, there is no way to get SQTRs signed off. I suggest that you get as much updated just before you leave, so your three year clock starts as late as possible. I don't know of any other way to stay in qual.

Well, AD still get 30 days leave a year. When she comes to visit her family I guess I would always find a squadron doing ES or hit up NESA every couple years. :D

harris5685

Greetings all!

I just noticed this thread. We don't have an email address for posting as a POC for our unit yet, but I think we will soon. Probably it will be .....@yokotacap.com.

We are still rebuilding the squadron, so many facets of the operation are still coming together. I hope to see you, and anyone inerested in the Yokota CAP at one of our weekly meetings!

v/r,

Lt. Sean Harris
IT and PA Officer
Captain S. Harris
NHQ OS 103
Public Affairs Officer
www.yokotacap.com

harris5685

I will be on leave for two weeks, but if you are also intersested in doing something this weekend, some members of the squadron will be trying to do some Cadet Orientation Flights...

Captain S. Harris
NHQ OS 103
Public Affairs Officer
www.yokotacap.com

ol'fido

Nice write up about the "Tokyo Patrol" in the new Volunteer magazine. My friend, Lt Col Brian "Irish" Porter, is also mentioned in the article and is apparently the DC/S and Ops Officer. Hope the OP got in contact with this unit.

spacecommand

Are you working in cadet programs or with cadets at the moment?
Overseas squadrons are something unique in CAP, the primary mission of CAP overseas squadrons are to support cadet programs.
It's outlined in CAP Regulation 35-4  "OVERSEAS CADET SQUADRONS" which covers a lot about overseas squadrons.

The primary job for senior members is to support the cadet programs.

If there are ES stuff you need signed off, I agree get them signed off now because getting current overseas might prove very difficult, for example, training funds are not available for overseas units, and most exercises are limited to base only. 

SarDragon

As a former member of an OS unit (NHQ-113, in Misawa, Japan), I can tell you that ES training opportunities are essentially non-existent. You might be able to do book learning stuff, but the practical application part will suffer greatly. In addition, para 7.a. states: "There will be no emergency services mission and no CAP corporate aircraft assigned."
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Flyer

Hi, I will be passing through Japan on a trip in the near future. It would be great to stop by one of the Squadron's meetings.
SM CAP

AlphaSigOU

And the next person that asks me why I haven't started an overseas cadet squadron on Kwajalein is going to get shot!  ;D

While we have a decent population of school-age kids, current CAP regulations only allow the formation of overseas cadet squadrons at Air Force installations. (We're an Army installation, but the green-suit population is only about a dozen; the inmates - ahem, civilian contractors - run the asylum.) Most contract tours are for one or two years, though some have extended their contracts for years.
I could talk informally with the new National Commander when I'm at NSC in October but there's no guarantee that any change to the regulations will happen.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

lordmonar

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on July 25, 2011, 05:16:29 AM
And the next person that asks me why I haven't started an overseas cadet squadron on Kwajalein is going to get shot!  ;D

While we have a decent population of school-age kids, current CAP regulations only allow the formation of overseas cadet squadrons at Air Force installations. (We're an Army installation, but the green-suit population is only about a dozen; the inmates - ahem, civilian contractors - run the asylum.) Most contract tours are for one or two years, though some have extended their contracts for years.
I could talk informally with the new National Commander when I'm at NSC in October but there's no guarantee that any change to the regulations will happen.

I wonder if you could get with HIWG and form a squadron/flight under them.

That is how the Virgin Island Squadron got formed (under PRWG). 

If the rules don't fit.......find a work around....:)
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Al Sayre

Yes but the VI's are US territories.  The RMI is an independent nation, and travelling to staff meetings would be problematic...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787