Main Menu

multitools

Started by thatonekid, May 14, 2011, 06:29:09 PM

thatonekid

what kind of tools should I look for on said mulitool, other than the obvious: knife (preferably serrated) and pliers?
C/MSgt Collins

titanII

screwdrivers are good, so are wire cutters, file, can opener (used for more than just cans), and apparently a fork and a spoon. Not sure if leatherman makes one with the last two ;)
No longer active on CAP talk

thatonekid

DUH! I should have included a can opener in that list! and I think I can handle bringing a separate fork/spoon/spork/knorkoon/whatever else you want to call it.

Aside: I call a combination netween a fork, spoon, and knife a knorkoon...but I guess it's a matter of preference.
C/MSgt Collins

titanII

Quote from: thatonekid on May 16, 2011, 10:36:17 PM
Aside: I call a combination netween a fork, spoon, and knife a knorkoon...but I guess it's a matter of preference.

with a utensil as crazy-awesome as this, it's all a matter of preference 8)
No longer active on CAP talk

thatonekid

True...my concern with this kind of utensil is that there is a knife on the side, can you imagine the report? "Cadet accidentally amputated own tongue with knorkoon"  ;)
C/MSgt Collins

thatonekid

I'm thinkin' a Freestyle, Juice S2, a Kick, or a Skeletool. Any better ideas? Note: I'm trying to keep it cheep and simple...
C/MSgt Collins

Eclipse

Freestyle

Sure, but it's really only a knife and pliers.

Juice S2

A little small.

Kick

Basically a PST with plastic added.

Skeletool

Not a fan - basically a Freestyle "+". The hook might seem like a good idea, but it just makes it bigger, and odds are you'll
lose the bits.

"That Others May Zoom"

thatonekid

Sure but what would you recomend?
C/MSgt Collins

Eclipse

Of that group?  The Kick.

"That Others May Zoom"

thatonekid

No, just in general.
C/MSgt Collins

Eclipse

I already said the Leatherman PST

"That Others May Zoom"

thatonekid

C/MSgt Collins

thatonekid

Do they still sell it? It is under the "retired" tab on their website...
C/MSgt Collins

Eclipse

There are at least 28 available on eBay right now, most under $30, some for less than that.

Otherwise, the Kick is essentially the same tool in an updated form.
PST

Mine was a USAF-Issue in the early '90's to a LoadToad friend of mine who gave it to me when he cycled out.
It is part of my EDC and though it shows wear from use, is still in great shape and I would be heartbroken if
I lost it.

I carry it in a Safariland 123-1 concealment holster.

I've worn out two of those but not the tool.

"That Others May Zoom"

thatonekid

Thank you verry much, I really apreciate it.
C/MSgt Collins

N7MOG

Actually the Leatherman has a 25 year warranty, not really lifetime, but close.  There are lots out there.  Leatherman is my favorite.
Bill
Bill Collister
SDWG DC
Cadet in 1968-1973 (Mitchell Award)
Collecter of knowledge since then, finding out my parents got real smart about the time I turned 18....
Improvise, Adapt and Overcome - Semper Fidelis

The original content of this post is Copyright (c) 2014 by William Collister.  The right to reproduce the content of this post within CAP-Talk only for the purposes of providing a quoted reply, by CAP-Talk users only, is specifically granted. All other rights, including "Fair Use," are specifically reserved.

NM SAR

I seem to be the only person here who's not madly in love with either Leatherman or Gerber...... :-\

anyhow, I use something called the Zilla-tool made by Columbia River Knife and Tool. it's a fairly simple piece; 2 screwdriver blades, a knife, and pliers. the beauty is that any of the above are quick and easy to get to (no origami tricks like with some multitools)

here's a link to the manufacturer, though you can find it about $20 cheaper elsewhere on the web. http://www.crkt.com/Zilla-Tool-Black-Handle-Bead-Blast-Finish

IC3man

Can't go wrong with a Gerber or a Leatherman. If you want, you could also carry a fixed blade (within CAP Regs of course!). I carry both a multitool and a knife, just because they are both very useful. But, keep in mind, you want quality, and your knife/multitool is one area you don't want to go cheap. Keep it simple and reliable.

EMT-83

There was a blurb on the Leatherman on History Channel. It seems that the guy who invented the tool happens to be named Leatherman. Who knew?

Eclipse

Quote from: EMT-83 on June 22, 2011, 02:59:50 AM
There was a blurb on the Leatherman on History Channel. It seems that the guy who invented the tool happens to be named Leatherman. Who knew?

Amazing...

Quoth the wiki:
Timothy S. Leatherman, a 1970 mechanical engineering graduate of Oregon State University, and his business partner, Steve Berliner, formed Leatherman Tool Group in 1983 to sell Leatherman's first patented multi-tool prototype, called "Mr. Crunch" while in development.

I always assumed it had something to do with working leather.

"That Others May Zoom"