Main Menu

multitools

Started by thatonekid, May 14, 2011, 06:29:09 PM

thatonekid

what multi tool should i get for my SAR gear?
C/MSgt Collins

commando1

#1 We generally refer to our gear as "GT gear" or ground team gear...not SAR gear.
#2 If you find a multitool that has pliers and a knife blade get it. Thats about all there is to it. Wal-mart generally sells them in the camping section. Or just go to amazon.com and search for multitool or "Leatherman" etc...
Non Timebo Mala

thatonekid

C/MSgt Collins

ol'fido

If you get a multi-tool for your SAR gear(and yes you can call it that if you wish), get one from one of the major knife manufacturers like Gerber or SOG. Also, the Leathermans are excellent. Don't get one from a store brand like Ozark Trail or GreatLand. These are usually much cheaper in price and 10X cheaper in quality. You get what you pay for just like with knives.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Eclipse

You can't go wrong with a Leatherman PST.

You can get tools that have more stuff on them, but a PST will never fail you.

"That Others May Zoom"

mclarke

Gerber. I have a nice one I got around 54.00. The mutli-tool has 2 flathead sizes, a philips, saw knife, straight knife, bottle open, can opener, blunt nose pliers (they also come in needle nose), and other parts. It comes with a nice case (ballistic nylon) and attachments (different size screw driver heads).... I have had it about 2 years... Only 1 pc broke, the nail filer... from prying... was my own fault.. if your interested, I can link it from the store I got it from (I buy most of my items online from trusted govt suppliers)

RRLE

The multi-tool knife that I actually use as opposed to just carry is the Ka-Bar Hobo 3-in-1 Utensil Kit. It will usually be cheaper via an on-line dealer then thru the Ka-Bar site.

There are other makes and models of that style knife. Just google Hobo Knife.

jks19714

I've had a SOG EOD multi-tool for years.  It has a compound action which effectively doubles the grip available on the pliers and cutters.  That and a roll of electrical tape in the old BDU thigh pocket, first aid kit in the opposite pocket...
Diamond Flight 88
W3JKS/AAT3BF/AAM3EDE/AAA9SL
Assistant Wing Communications Engineer

JC004

I'd recommend this instead, just because cadets like to have unnecessary things:

I also recommend a good brand name.  I've had some cheap multi-tools and the like.  They weren't worth it.  At all.

titanII

Quote from: RRLE on May 15, 2011, 11:06:28 AM
The multi-tool knife that I actually use as opposed to just carry is the Ka-Bar Hobo 3-in-1 Utensil Kit.

For some reason, I don't think that a fork and spoon are the most useful tools on a SAR exercise. But that is a pretty cool multitool, regardless. Probably good for backpacking trips and the like.
No longer active on CAP talk

JoeTomasone

Gerber Suspension multitool.   Cost me about 25 bucks - very high quality for the money.   

A bunch for sale on Amazon:  http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=gerber+suspension&x=0&y=0

davidsinn

Quote from: titanII on May 15, 2011, 03:40:09 PM
I don't think that a fork and spoon are the most useful tools on a SAR exercise.

You just proved you haven't been on many exercises  ;) I have a fork and spoon set and have used it more than any other item in my gear. You're going to eat at pretty much every event but the need to field strip a downed aircraft are few and far between.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

titanII

Quote from: davidsinn on May 15, 2011, 11:44:23 PM
You're going to eat at pretty much every event but the need to field strip a downed aircraft are few and far between.
You caught me  ;). Though in my years of backpacking, I've hardly ever used a fork or spoon. I guess that's just the Neanderthal in me that causes me to use my (GASP)... HANDS.
;D no hard feelings.

Personally, I feel that the most useful, effective, and portable multitool is this:

*Sarcasm*

Eclipse

Quote from: davidsinn on May 15, 2011, 11:44:23 PM
Quote from: titanII on May 15, 2011, 03:40:09 PM
I don't think that a fork and spoon are the most useful tools on a SAR exercise.

You just proved you haven't been on many exercises  ;) I have a fork and spoon set and have used it more than any other item in my gear. You're going to eat at pretty much every event but the need to field strip a downed aircraft are few and far between.

Spork love!

"That Others May Zoom"

titanII

Quote from: Eclipse on May 16, 2011, 02:22:30 AM
Spork love!

That's not the original spork! That has a knife in it too... maybe it's a "knispork".
This is what I think of when I hear spork.. the original spork:

I've never had to use the knife on my "knispork", but it is a good idea.

thatonekid

C/MSgt Collins

ol'fido

Quote from: titanII on May 16, 2011, 10:40:54 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on May 16, 2011, 02:22:30 AM
Spork love!

That's not the original spork! That has a knife in it too... maybe it's a "knispork".
This is what I think of when I hear spork.. the original spork:

I've never had to use the knife on my "knispork", but it is a good idea.

Get the FORK outta here!! ;D ;D
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

thatonekid

AH! I see what you did there...
C/MSgt Collins

DC

You cannot go wrong with a Leatherman. They are a little more expensive than most Gerbers, but they are simply outstanding tools. They also have a lifetime guarantee, if memory serves. If you break it, they will replace or fix it for free.

I'm partial to the Wave for ES type stuff. For everyday carry I have been drooling over the Skeletool for a while now.

titanII

Quote from: DC on May 16, 2011, 09:47:39 PM
You cannot go wrong with a Leatherman. They are a little more expensive than most Gerbers, but they are simply outstanding tools. They also have a lifetime guarantee, if memory serves. If you break it, they will replace or fix it for free.

I'm partial to the Wave for ES type stuff. For everyday carry I have been drooling over the Skeletool for a while now.
Ah yes, away from the discussion about sporks. I would second the above statement- my Leatherman has come in handy in so many situations, and the lifetime guarantee makes it that much better.

thatonekid

what kind of tools should I look for on said mulitool, other than the obvious: knife (preferably serrated) and pliers?
C/MSgt Collins

titanII

screwdrivers are good, so are wire cutters, file, can opener (used for more than just cans), and apparently a fork and a spoon. Not sure if leatherman makes one with the last two ;)

thatonekid

DUH! I should have included a can opener in that list! and I think I can handle bringing a separate fork/spoon/spork/knorkoon/whatever else you want to call it.

Aside: I call a combination netween a fork, spoon, and knife a knorkoon...but I guess it's a matter of preference.
C/MSgt Collins

titanII

Quote from: thatonekid on May 16, 2011, 10:36:17 PM
Aside: I call a combination netween a fork, spoon, and knife a knorkoon...but I guess it's a matter of preference.

with a utensil as crazy-awesome as this, it's all a matter of preference 8)

thatonekid

True...my concern with this kind of utensil is that there is a knife on the side, can you imagine the report? "Cadet accidentally amputated own tongue with knorkoon"  ;)
C/MSgt Collins

thatonekid

I'm thinkin' a Freestyle, Juice S2, a Kick, or a Skeletool. Any better ideas? Note: I'm trying to keep it cheep and simple...
C/MSgt Collins

Eclipse

Freestyle

Sure, but it's really only a knife and pliers.

Juice S2

A little small.

Kick

Basically a PST with plastic added.

Skeletool

Not a fan - basically a Freestyle "+". The hook might seem like a good idea, but it just makes it bigger, and odds are you'll
lose the bits.

"That Others May Zoom"

thatonekid

Sure but what would you recomend?
C/MSgt Collins

Eclipse

Of that group?  The Kick.

"That Others May Zoom"

thatonekid

No, just in general.
C/MSgt Collins

Eclipse

I already said the Leatherman PST

"That Others May Zoom"

thatonekid

C/MSgt Collins

thatonekid

Do they still sell it? It is under the "retired" tab on their website...
C/MSgt Collins

Eclipse

There are at least 28 available on eBay right now, most under $30, some for less than that.

Otherwise, the Kick is essentially the same tool in an updated form.
PST

Mine was a USAF-Issue in the early '90's to a LoadToad friend of mine who gave it to me when he cycled out.
It is part of my EDC and though it shows wear from use, is still in great shape and I would be heartbroken if
I lost it.

I carry it in a Safariland 123-1 concealment holster.

I've worn out two of those but not the tool.

"That Others May Zoom"

thatonekid

Thank you verry much, I really apreciate it.
C/MSgt Collins

N7MOG

Actually the Leatherman has a 25 year warranty, not really lifetime, but close.  There are lots out there.  Leatherman is my favorite.
Bill
Bill Collister
SDWG DC
Cadet in 1968-1973 (Mitchell Award)
Collecter of knowledge since then, finding out my parents got real smart about the time I turned 18....
Improvise, Adapt and Overcome - Semper Fidelis

The original content of this post is Copyright (c) 2014 by William Collister.  The right to reproduce the content of this post within CAP-Talk only for the purposes of providing a quoted reply, by CAP-Talk users only, is specifically granted. All other rights, including "Fair Use," are specifically reserved.

NM SAR

I seem to be the only person here who's not madly in love with either Leatherman or Gerber...... :-\

anyhow, I use something called the Zilla-tool made by Columbia River Knife and Tool. it's a fairly simple piece; 2 screwdriver blades, a knife, and pliers. the beauty is that any of the above are quick and easy to get to (no origami tricks like with some multitools)

here's a link to the manufacturer, though you can find it about $20 cheaper elsewhere on the web. http://www.crkt.com/Zilla-Tool-Black-Handle-Bead-Blast-Finish

IC3man

Can't go wrong with a Gerber or a Leatherman. If you want, you could also carry a fixed blade (within CAP Regs of course!). I carry both a multitool and a knife, just because they are both very useful. But, keep in mind, you want quality, and your knife/multitool is one area you don't want to go cheap. Keep it simple and reliable.

EMT-83

There was a blurb on the Leatherman on History Channel. It seems that the guy who invented the tool happens to be named Leatherman. Who knew?

Eclipse

Quote from: EMT-83 on June 22, 2011, 02:59:50 AM
There was a blurb on the Leatherman on History Channel. It seems that the guy who invented the tool happens to be named Leatherman. Who knew?

Amazing...

Quoth the wiki:
Timothy S. Leatherman, a 1970 mechanical engineering graduate of Oregon State University, and his business partner, Steve Berliner, formed Leatherman Tool Group in 1983 to sell Leatherman's first patented multi-tool prototype, called "Mr. Crunch" while in development.

I always assumed it had something to do with working leather.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

^^^Same.

Guess it's like the BAR, eh?

Flyinsarge

yeah, get the Victorinox. I got one, it has been a great thing to have around.

abdsp51

I would say either Gerber or Leatherman.  I have and used both for day to day use and deployment use.  The one I was most fond of was the Leatherman Wave for the bits which came in handy for changing the batteries in th radar handle.  Can't go wrong with either company.

JC004

RRLE

I was just wondering if everyone on the ground team needs to be carrying a multi-tool. I know many hands make light work but just how often does a ground team have to take an airplane apart with their multi-tools.

Wouldn't it make more sense for at least one or two members to be carrying a real rescue knife/tool. I'm thinking of something with your basic glass breaker and rescuee safe web belt cutter. If you want your hard kewl there are rescue knives like the Gerber Hinderer

JC004

Who said they were for taking apart airplanes?  There are many things you do with them, mostly an individual's tasks.  It is not easy to rely on two members definitely showing up with your multi-tool.

Dad2-4

I just came across the Victorinox Rescue Tool http://www.swissarmy.com/MultiTools/Pages/Product.aspx?category=doityourself&product=53900&
Essential tools in a trusted brand name. You must "watch the rescue Tool clip" and see what the guy does with this tool!
http://www.swissarmy.com/Flash/RescueTool_video/rescuetool_video.aspx

Eclipse

I like the thing in general, and the ability to swap out the window punch and saw belt cutter are nice features, too, though
my guess would be that while he's sawing the window, somebody else would just come by with a BFH and smash out the glass.

It was kind of funny to see how neatly he removed the windshield the first time, and then the two guys just basically wrecked the car.

"That Others May Zoom"

Senior

I picked  up a nearly new Leatherman Skeletool at a pawn shop recently.
It fits well in my large hands.  The carabiner/bottle opener doesn't get in the way like I thought it might.  The interchangeable screwdriver bits are held in the handle well.  You can buy other types of bits from Leatherman.  Basic knife, pliers and screwdriver bits are the tools included on this Leatherman.

DC

Quote from: Senior on July 03, 2011, 12:52:16 AM
I picked  up a nearly new Leatherman Skeletool at a pawn shop recently.
It fits well in my large hands.  The carabiner/bottle opener doesn't get in the way like I thought it might.  The interchangeable screwdriver bits are held in the handle well.  You can buy other types of bits from Leatherman.  Basic knife, pliers and screwdriver bits are the tools included on this Leatherman.
I've been eying those for a little while. How is the weight and size compared to a regular folding pocket knife?

titanII

Senior

DC,  It is much lighter than the regular Leathermans I have.  It has a natural
"feel" in your hand.  It is comparable to a two blade small/medium pocket knife.
I think this model also has carbon fiber handles making it even lighter.  I have large hands so the carabiner/bottle opener increases the gripping area when using the pliers.   ;) 

Eclipse

The good people of Amazon dropped one of these off at my house this morning.
Not exactly a multi-tool, but together with my PST it should fill my compliment nicely.

Good balance, well made, and a lifetime warranty.  Not bad for $14.50 and free shipping.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on July 09, 2011, 11:51:32 PM
The good people of Amazon dropped one of these off at my house this morning.
Not exactly a multi-tool, but together with my PST it should fill my compliment nicely.

Good balance, well made, and a lifetime warranty.  Not bad for $14.50 and free shipping.

I used to have 2 of a very similar knife. I found that it was way too big for daily use and that the blade didn't stay sharp for long. Now I keep one in my 24 hour gear and it needs to be sharpened.

JC004

I love Smith & Wesson knives.  I've carried one for years, now on my third.  They're well designed, well made, and the steel quality is very good for the price.

Eclipse

I can't speak to anything "similar", but this one has a lifetime warranty and is sharp as poop right now.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Anybody using this?

http://www.crkt.com/idworksflux

It looks like something that would be good on paper but maybe not so good in use.

Do people really use flash drives that much?  I have a couple I use for occasionally moving files between
platforms, or sneakernet when something better isn't handy, but would never trust gold-copies of my files to a flash.

"That Others May Zoom"

DakRadz

Sometimes you need to bring files to the boss' mountain retreat where he has a computer- but he makes everyone mountain climb to it. So you need a survival tool that helps you keep your job but also is useful if something goes wrong.

It could happen.

Buzz

The Gerber is superior to the Leatherman in that you can grab it, give a snap of the wrist and you have your pliers and wire cutters ready to go.

billford1

Leatherman is American made.

KyCAP

multi-tool = Leatherman  - the rest are impersonators.
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing

Dad2-4

Just bought myself a birthday present. Assisted opening blade, seat belt cutter, and window punch for US$12.
Edit: Just over 9" open, about 5.5" closed, with a 3.75" blade.

Майор Хаткевич

I just bought the one Eclipse posted on Amazon with free 2 day shipping (I LOVE Amazon Prime membership!) for free (kinda):

Order Summary
Items:   $15.91
Shipping & Handling:   $0.00
Total Before Tax:   $15.91
Estimated Tax To Be Collected:   $0.00
Total:   $15.91
Rewards Points:   -$15.91
Order Total: $0.00

I used my Amazon Visa, and used the points on the card directly on Amazon. Once out of college, I would LOVE to work for this company.