Main Menu

multitools

Started by thatonekid, May 14, 2011, 06:29:09 PM

thatonekid

what multi tool should i get for my SAR gear?
C/MSgt Collins

commando1

#1 We generally refer to our gear as "GT gear" or ground team gear...not SAR gear.
#2 If you find a multitool that has pliers and a knife blade get it. Thats about all there is to it. Wal-mart generally sells them in the camping section. Or just go to amazon.com and search for multitool or "Leatherman" etc...
Non Timebo Mala

thatonekid

C/MSgt Collins

ol'fido

If you get a multi-tool for your SAR gear(and yes you can call it that if you wish), get one from one of the major knife manufacturers like Gerber or SOG. Also, the Leathermans are excellent. Don't get one from a store brand like Ozark Trail or GreatLand. These are usually much cheaper in price and 10X cheaper in quality. You get what you pay for just like with knives.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Eclipse

You can't go wrong with a Leatherman PST.

You can get tools that have more stuff on them, but a PST will never fail you.

"That Others May Zoom"

mclarke

Gerber. I have a nice one I got around 54.00. The mutli-tool has 2 flathead sizes, a philips, saw knife, straight knife, bottle open, can opener, blunt nose pliers (they also come in needle nose), and other parts. It comes with a nice case (ballistic nylon) and attachments (different size screw driver heads).... I have had it about 2 years... Only 1 pc broke, the nail filer... from prying... was my own fault.. if your interested, I can link it from the store I got it from (I buy most of my items online from trusted govt suppliers)

RRLE

The multi-tool knife that I actually use as opposed to just carry is the Ka-Bar Hobo 3-in-1 Utensil Kit. It will usually be cheaper via an on-line dealer then thru the Ka-Bar site.

There are other makes and models of that style knife. Just google Hobo Knife.

jks19714

I've had a SOG EOD multi-tool for years.  It has a compound action which effectively doubles the grip available on the pliers and cutters.  That and a roll of electrical tape in the old BDU thigh pocket, first aid kit in the opposite pocket...
Diamond Flight 88
W3JKS/AAT3BF/AAM3EDE/AAA9SL
Assistant Wing Communications Engineer

JC004

I'd recommend this instead, just because cadets like to have unnecessary things:

I also recommend a good brand name.  I've had some cheap multi-tools and the like.  They weren't worth it.  At all.

titanII

Quote from: RRLE on May 15, 2011, 11:06:28 AM
The multi-tool knife that I actually use as opposed to just carry is the Ka-Bar Hobo 3-in-1 Utensil Kit.

For some reason, I don't think that a fork and spoon are the most useful tools on a SAR exercise. But that is a pretty cool multitool, regardless. Probably good for backpacking trips and the like.
No longer active on CAP talk

JoeTomasone

Gerber Suspension multitool.   Cost me about 25 bucks - very high quality for the money.   

A bunch for sale on Amazon:  http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=gerber+suspension&x=0&y=0

davidsinn

Quote from: titanII on May 15, 2011, 03:40:09 PM
I don't think that a fork and spoon are the most useful tools on a SAR exercise.

You just proved you haven't been on many exercises  ;) I have a fork and spoon set and have used it more than any other item in my gear. You're going to eat at pretty much every event but the need to field strip a downed aircraft are few and far between.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

titanII

Quote from: davidsinn on May 15, 2011, 11:44:23 PM
You're going to eat at pretty much every event but the need to field strip a downed aircraft are few and far between.
You caught me  ;). Though in my years of backpacking, I've hardly ever used a fork or spoon. I guess that's just the Neanderthal in me that causes me to use my (GASP)... HANDS.
;D no hard feelings.

Personally, I feel that the most useful, effective, and portable multitool is this:

*Sarcasm*

Eclipse

Quote from: davidsinn on May 15, 2011, 11:44:23 PM
Quote from: titanII on May 15, 2011, 03:40:09 PM
I don't think that a fork and spoon are the most useful tools on a SAR exercise.

You just proved you haven't been on many exercises  ;) I have a fork and spoon set and have used it more than any other item in my gear. You're going to eat at pretty much every event but the need to field strip a downed aircraft are few and far between.

Spork love!

"That Others May Zoom"

titanII

Quote from: Eclipse on May 16, 2011, 02:22:30 AM
Spork love!

That's not the original spork! That has a knife in it too... maybe it's a "knispork".
This is what I think of when I hear spork.. the original spork:

I've never had to use the knife on my "knispork", but it is a good idea.

thatonekid

C/MSgt Collins

ol'fido

Quote from: titanII on May 16, 2011, 10:40:54 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on May 16, 2011, 02:22:30 AM
Spork love!

That's not the original spork! That has a knife in it too... maybe it's a "knispork".
This is what I think of when I hear spork.. the original spork:

I've never had to use the knife on my "knispork", but it is a good idea.

Get the FORK outta here!! ;D ;D
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

thatonekid

AH! I see what you did there...
C/MSgt Collins

DC

You cannot go wrong with a Leatherman. They are a little more expensive than most Gerbers, but they are simply outstanding tools. They also have a lifetime guarantee, if memory serves. If you break it, they will replace or fix it for free.

I'm partial to the Wave for ES type stuff. For everyday carry I have been drooling over the Skeletool for a while now.

titanII

Quote from: DC on May 16, 2011, 09:47:39 PM
You cannot go wrong with a Leatherman. They are a little more expensive than most Gerbers, but they are simply outstanding tools. They also have a lifetime guarantee, if memory serves. If you break it, they will replace or fix it for free.

I'm partial to the Wave for ES type stuff. For everyday carry I have been drooling over the Skeletool for a while now.
Ah yes, away from the discussion about sporks. I would second the above statement- my Leatherman has come in handy in so many situations, and the lifetime guarantee makes it that much better.