Oregon SAR reports

Started by RiverAux, January 01, 2007, 10:46:56 PM

RiverAux

Despite some of the discussions about the Kim family search, it seems as if Oregon has its program organized a lot better than many states, at least in terms of analysis of he missions. 

Take a look at the annual reports on their web page athttp://www.oregon.gov/OOHS/OEM/tech_resp/sar.shtml.  There is a lot of very interesting information in there. 

wingnut

YES do READ the Oregon report and look up Washington States issues with CAP

Oregon CAP does only 32% of ELTS the rest are done by county and State employees or special volunteers not connected with CAP. Look at the numbers 1,900 hours of CAP support for SAR and the JEEP Club over 3,800 hours. The other oganizations such as Explorers 9,224 hours etc, etc, I would say  CAP plays a small role with all of the volunteers in Oregon

RiverAux

I bet if any other states had such comprehensive SAR stats that they would also show that CAP plays a small role overall.  Since we don't actively work to get involved in missing person searches, which are much more common than airplane searches, we miss out on a lot. 

However, there is something screwy with their numbers.  At least as far as the 2005 report goes CAP was responsible for 1232 out of 1481 hours related to beacon missions.  But, their pie chart that you looked at says CAP is responsible for 32%, 4% is sherriff/CAP, 10% is sheriff, and the rest is OEM itself.  I'm not sure how to resolve that. 

wingnut

Yes do you remember a book titled "How to Lie with Statistics", I do remember a recent article about the State of Washington using a volunteer ELT hunter group for many of thier ELTs, I will have to look for it, strange situation too, the same article discussed the USAF AFRCC not being able to provide SAR (Helicopters) and a private Helicopter air ambulance company wanted 50 million for SAR coverage from the Feds because th Air Force said their assets were in the Middle East. The strange thing the article said nothing about CAP, I think it is a scam to get money from the FEDs, 50 million.