Main Menu

Tablet sized leg bag?

Started by Eclipse, May 05, 2011, 09:24:19 PM

Eclipse

Well, my quest for an Oakley Sandbag 1 is still on, but now that I am moving everything to the cloud and using my Xoom more and more, I'm looking to trim my bag weight and size.

Anyone got any good suggestions on a tablet-sized leg bag / holster type deal?

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

Quote from: Eclipse on May 05, 2011, 09:24:19 PM
Well, my quest for an Oakley Sandbag 1 is still on, but now that I am moving everything to the cloud and using my Xoom more and more, I'm looking to trim my bag weight and size.

Anyone got any good suggestions on a tablet-sized leg bag / holster type deal?

I don't know the size of the Xoom but will this work?

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/bags/c616/
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

Wowsa!

Not as-is but probably the right form factor.

The Xoom is about 3/4" wider and 1/2" shorter than an Ipad. If the main area was a single punch it might fit. It fits in a standard bdu pocket and you can almost close the buttons.

"That Others May Zoom"

disamuel

http://www.civilianlab.com/

Click on products, then Gear Harness Bags. They have great stuff, but I'm not sure if one of them will fit your tablet.

Eclipse

Man!  I don't think any of those would fit, but a lot of cool stuff!  May burn my credit card a little there anyway.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

So this is going to be my new EDC tactical purse: http://www.amazon.com/SwissGear-Vertical-Travel-Black-Grey/dp/B001QSYEJ8
Linked to Amazon because I can't find it on an official SwissGear site.

It's on sale this week at Target for $17 and that is the price online all over.  My wife just brought it home and out of the
"box" it is 90% "there".

The main pocket has a slot that fits my Xoom like a glove, and it has light padding all away around the edge.  It has plenty
of compartmental storage for the other stuff I need (Clearspot, a couple travel adapters, stand for the Xoom, etc.), and I can
think of a couple of ways to add a drop-leg-type strap with a quick clip to make it into the leg-style bag I want when I am
traveling or out in the field for CAP.

Pretty much about what I would have designed if I did it myself.  Now my goal is to get all my data moved up into Google storage,
and setup a USB drive or key for the few things I would need to do locally like Photoshop.

Now...what to do with my like-new Sandbag 2.

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

I picked up one of these in black for my Acer laptop: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=704999

The computer just barely fits.  It has become my Tactical Murse.
Mike Johnston

Eclipse

After a trip to Hobby Lobby and some quality time with Singer, I've updated the bag to be worn on the hip. 
I found that for the Xoom this was an excellent bag, but being tall the strap was never long enough and I was constantly trying to find a way to carry
it low. (Note: An iPad would certainly fit in the main compartment, but probably not in the slot I'm using for the xoom as it is taller than the Xoom by about 3/4").

I changed the shoulder strap so it would be detachable, and thanks to the good people at bdu.com, who send me a belt every time I buy pants,
I had some great webbing to make the detachable drop strap.

I've got shows lined up for August, and my goal is to be 100% cloud-ready by then, adding this Gearhead keyboard

to the tablet for typing large docs and editing spreadsheets.  The keyboard fits fine in the case, though admittedly it is going to be a bit heavy
for a hip bag when I add ac adapters and other "stuff", we'll see.

I'm looking forward to checking my notebook with the rest of my equipment and going through the airport with only this bag.
If this doesn't work as I hope, I'll probably go with one of those RedRocks like Mike has.

"That Others May Zoom"

Persona non grata

Cool beans on your mods for this gear. 
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

davidsinn

Quote from: Eclipse on June 30, 2011, 03:37:48 PM

After a trip to Hobby Lobby and some quality time with Singer, I've updated the bag to be worn on the hip. 
I found that for the Xoom this was an excellent bag, but being tall the strap was never long enough and I was constantly trying to find a way to carry
it low. (Note: An iPad would certainly fit in the main compartment, but probably not in the slot I'm using for the xoom as it is taller than the Xoom by about 3/4").

I changed the shoulder strap so it would be detachable, and thanks to the good people at bdu.com, who send me a belt every time I buy pants,
I had some great webbing to make the detachable drop strap.

I've got shows lined up for August, and my goal is to be 100% cloud-ready by then, adding this Gearhead keyboard

to the tablet for typing large docs and editing spreadsheets.  The keyboard fits fine in the case, though admittedly it is going to be a bit heavy
for a hip bag when I add ac adapters and other "stuff", we'll see.

I'm looking forward to checking my notebook with the rest of my equipment and going through the airport with only this bag.
If this doesn't work as I hope, I'll probably go with one of those RedRocks like Mike has.

How well would a 10.3" netbook fit in there?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

Quote from: davidsinn on June 30, 2011, 04:37:51 PM

I just checked with my wife's Dell Mini 10.

It fits in the main compartment - in fact I could probably carry the tablet in the slot with it, but you have to stretch the corners a
bit to zip it closed.

Once zipped it does not feel overly stressed or stretched, but it is definitely "snug".

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

Quote from: Eclipse on June 30, 2011, 05:06:46 PM
Quote from: davidsinn on June 30, 2011, 04:37:51 PM

I just checked with my wife's Dell Mini 10.

It fits in the main compartment - in fact I could probably carry the tablet in the slot with it, but you have to stretch the corners a
bit to zip it closed.

Once zipped it does not feel overly stressed or stretched, but it is definitely "snug".

That looks good. Last request: What does it look like when being worn?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

Quote from: davidsinn on June 30, 2011, 05:10:29 PM
That looks good. Last request: What does it look like when being worn?

With my mods?  Just like any other leg bag / hip bag.  I have it adjusted right now to hang at about the same level
as the cargo pockets of my pants.  I wish it was all black, but Kay-Sarah.

I only finished them last night, so I can't say how well it'll work in everyday use, etc.  I do know from experience with other
legs bags that in some circumstances they are awesome / tacti-kewl, and in others (like a car) a PITA.  Not to mention potentially banging into
everything on the side it is worn until you learn to add an additional 3-4 inches of clearance from what you are used to.  Also, as I mention
above, by the time I add the a/c adapter, Clearspot, keyboard, and a few other things, it's going to be fairly heavy for a leg bag.

If this doesn't work like I'd hoped, I may be dissecting my med kit drop bag, which cost me nothing and is kinda useless in a CAP context,
but has all the necessary part for this use.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Well, I used the "leg bag" for the first time last night and the results were "mixed".  I had to go to Fry's to return the Gearhead keyboard (the OTG cables showed up, - YAY! Tsim Sha Tsui! - and it did not work with the tablet), and thought I would fully pack the bag and try it out as I wandered the store looking for "other".

It worked fine, but is definitely heavy for something carried on your belt - I need to add a thigh strap to make it more stable as it banged around a bit as I walked.

I also found it nearly impossible to not adopt the "leg bag" stance of hand on bag, etc.

I'm leaning towards Mike's, especially since it is so inexpensive, I just wish I could find it retail somewhere to try it out, first.

My guess is that with the universe moving to netbooks and tablets, buy early next year everything will be that scale, until then it'll be an effort to find that "perfect" bag.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: MIKE on May 15, 2011, 06:42:58 PM
I picked up one of these in black for my Acer laptop: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=704999

The computer just barely fits.  It has become my Tactical Murse.

MIKE, which model Acer do you have?  I am quickly coming to the reality that while a tablet bag might be great,
the other stuff I have to bring like my InStand, etc., still need a place to roost.

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

Mike Johnston

Eclipse

!@#$%!

I may need to spend more money on another TacPurse:
Found this:

http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.aspx?productID=17178&TabID=548
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avECO0oVPbw

It doesn't look like much until you see the video...

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: MIKE on July 08, 2011, 02:57:00 AM
Linky.

Thanks - looks like it would fit my tablet just fine, but maybe not the other toys.

I do not do well with choice.

"That Others May Zoom"

JC004

If you get another purse, will you post a picture?