Main Menu

Mess Dress

Started by freeflight, December 31, 2006, 09:36:52 AM

MIKE

I have Service Dress but not Mess Dress.  If I had a set it would probably only be worn once a year... and the times it would be worn I can usually get by with Service Dress.  I didn't end up going to the NER banquet a couple of years ago because I couldn't wear Service Dress, and didn't have a suit at the time.
Mike Johnston

Pylon

Got one.  (Actually have two jackets right now because I just got a bigger size for my expanding waistline  ;D ).

http://www.kieloch.net/plogger/index.php?level=picture&id=52
You can spot my in my mess dress kit on the far left.  :)

(But I oddly don't own service dress)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

BlueLakes1

I've got a mess dress, but I got lucky to find one at a base thrift store. $50 for the uniform, $15 for the mods (pants hemmed and sleeve braid swapped). If it wasn't for the low price, I'd not have one.
Col Matthew Creed, CAP
GLR/CC

MIKE

What size is your old jacket Mike?
Mike Johnston

ColonelJack

Quoting CAP Safety Dude:

"Too late Jack.  I've seen the pictures!"

Yes, but I'm dashing, aren't I?   ;D

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Pylon

Quote from: MIKE on January 01, 2007, 12:43:50 AM

39L.  Looking for one?  :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

MIKE

Quote from: Pylon on January 01, 2007, 07:44:58 PM
Quote from: MIKE on January 01, 2007, 12:43:50 AM

39L.  Looking for one?  :)

Might be a little snug... Normally wear a 40.
Mike Johnston

Major Carrales

I have never owned one.  It seems that the 300 or so dollars would be better spent buying a radio, or Squadron Colors for a Cadet color guard, or give it to the unit avitors to go fly.

If I may editorialize...

I think CAP Service Dress should be the "Mess Dress."  Yes, I know the USAF has one and we seek to parallel the USAF uniform example...however...   In a world where the average CAP officer wears BDUs or short sleeve shirt combo and seldom even finds time for a service coat, it seems that the service coat is considered uber-formal by most CAP Officers.

I also agree with (I beleive it was...) Chuck who mentioned that wear of CAP mini-medals on a conservative Tux (no ruffles, plumes, tails, tophats, "pimp cains" or the like)

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

MIKE

If you can find a used one that fits on the cheap it might not be so bad.  I don't think I would buy a new one unless I absolutely had to have one... Like when I become CAP/CC.  >:D

Semi-formal for seniors might be a good idea, but IIRC it would break with how the USAF does things.
Mike Johnston

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: MIKE on January 01, 2007, 11:38:28 PM
If you can find a used one that fits on the cheap it might not be so bad.  I don't think I would buy a new one unless I absolutely had to have one... Like when I become CAP/CC.  >:D

Semi-formal for seniors might be a good idea, but IIRC it would break with how the USAF does things.

I never particularly cared for the semi-formal uniform - dump the nametag and swap the light blue shirt for white and put on a black bow tie (old style) or just change out the shirt and keep the blue tie (new style). And I don't particularly like it in the new TPU service digs, either.

In the RealAirForce®, semi-formal is generally the enlisted formal uniform, though there's no restriction on them purchasing mess dress. Officers, however are required to purchase mess dress.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

DNall

Quote from: Major Carrales on January 01, 2007, 11:29:06 PM
I have never owned one.  It seems that the 300 or so dollars would be better spent buying a radio, or Squadron Colors for a Cadet color guard, or give it to the unit avitors to go fly.

If I may editorialize...

I think CAP Service Dress should be the "Mess Dress."  Yes, I know the USAF has one and we seek to parallel the USAF uniform example...however...   In a world where the average CAP officer wears BDUs or short sleeve shirt combo and seldom even finds time for a service coat, it seems that the service coat is considered uber-formal by most CAP Officers.

I also agree with (I beleive it was...) Chuck who mentioned that wear of CAP mini-medals on a conservative Tux (no ruffles, plumes, tails, tophats, "pimp cains" or the like)

I also don't own one & don't really ever plan to. We do have a few military balls & such around here I could whip it out for, assuming I cared to pay for the priveledge of rep'ing CAP at any of that.

AF officers have to buy them out of pocket, and they probably make less than you Joe. Unless they're going to embassy parties on a regular basis or something they probably only pull it out a couple times a year at most - just like us. They have to have it cause everyone does. We don't tend to get them, and I won't bother getting one, cause most of us don't have one.

Far as minis on civis. Real mil medals are authorized like that. The brits have some tradtions with the practice. I think it'd be fine with a limited number (one line maybe) on the lapel. That or maybe you'd prefer a badge on the lapel.

Semi-formal is stupid. Leave that for cadet officers, cadet enlisted in service dress. Adults wear service dress, mess dress, or civilian suit/tux as appropriate. Getting people in that range of stuff versus a golf shirt or BDUs is the bigger issue ot worry about.

Major Carrales

Dennis,

I think it is safe to say that only about 10% of CAP officers below the grade of Major own them.  I can see making it as investment if I were a Wing Commander or maybe Group, but I'm just an ole country Squadron Commander.  Maybe if one comes up cheap...but I don't see a situation other than the Wing Banquet where it might be called for.

Embassy Dinners...eh?  I can image myself an ambassador, I'll breed 'em a fight before they knew what hit 'em!

Commander
SWR-TX-454

flyerthom

Quote from: freeflight on December 31, 2006, 09:36:52 AM
Question:
How many people on this forum have mess dress uniforms?

I have one. Found it on E-bay while surfing for nothing. Took it to a tailor near Nellis AFB and got it all for less than$100.
TC

Major Carrales

Nah...I think I'll delete what I posted here!!!  If you read it...consider yourself lucky.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

LtCol White

LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

bosshawk

Nope: don't intend to get one, either.  Don't even own a service dress: don't intend to get one.  I spend enough on CAP every year to help service the national debt, so uniform purchases really don't get me excited.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Chappie

Like a couple of other posters...got my Mess Dress off of E-bay for $60.00.  The accessories cost extra (white shirt/cuff-links/bullion emblem....and the mini-medals).  But it would have been a lot more if the Mess Dress was purchased new on a base. 

I have gotten my $'s worth.  Since purchasing it I have worn it on a minimum of 3 occassions each year since 2002 (National Boards, National Staff College, Wing Conferences, Cadet Programs Conferences, and a couple of Squadron/Group Banquets).
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

SarDragon

Quote from: Pylon on January 01, 2007, 12:35:21 AM
Got one.  (Actually have two jackets right now because I just got a bigger size for my expanding waistline  ;D ).

http://www.kieloch.net/plogger/index.php?level=picture&id=52
You can spot my in my mess dress kit on the far left.  :)

(But I oddly don't own service dress)

That's a troublesome trio there, fella.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Pylon

Quote from: SarDragon on January 03, 2007, 09:29:22 AM
That's a troublesome trio there, fella.

Tell me about it.   ;D