NEW Georgia Wing patch

Started by skymaster, April 12, 2011, 10:52:33 PM

ColonelJack

Quote from: rt1111 on April 27, 2011, 09:41:19 PM
I'm new to here so I'm gonna keep it as simple as possible. I'm opposed to this issue on a few grounds.

1 the cost of buying new patches will be shifted completely on individual members.  as a high school kid without a job, even though my parents supported my membership in CAP they eventually began to say no on the grounds of their wallet to new uniform and ground team stuff i needed.

Okay, I'll give you that one.  I'm not a high school kid without a job, I'm a grown man with three jobs, and I have trouble affording all the stuff they say I'm supposed to have.  My wallet screams in protest a lot these days.

2 think about how this is gonna look on the ABUs when CAP switches.

A non-issue, since the ABU is not even remotely on CAP's radar just yet.  We're in BDUs for the long haul, son.

3. the Georgia flag is just a confederate flag with the Georgia seal on it. theirs nothing wrong with that but the new wing patch is a Georgia flag without the seal........   its inappropriate. as an organization supporting the US government, why should we be wearing a symbol of open rebellion against the US government? its also a little insensitive to African American Members.

Well, following that particular line of reasoning, the state flag itself is inappropriate -- Georgia is, after all, part of the United States, and has adopted a modified flag of the rebellion.  The same thought applies to the issue of insensitivity.

4. unless the Wing commanders were ordered to change (which i dint think they were) the Georgia wing patch was great the way it was. It was distinctive to the state with the seal on it. it didn't add alot of frills and unnecessary colors that some wing patches do. (that wasn't a cheap shot, it was an observation) and it worked in concert with the other patches and color schemes already on the uniform.  Were in CAP, not the Circus. the more colors you add the less professional you look.  if you don't believe me look at the old patch. its simple and timeless, take a look: http://www.shepherdtactical.com/images/cap/wing_patches/GA.jpg

As has been pointed out, the new patch was approved by Col. Boylan and those in the chain of command who are empowered to approve such things.  I like the old patch too ... a darn sight better than the one that preceded it.  If we were still wearing the WWII-era GAWG patch, you'd probably jump for this newest one in a heartbeat.  But you have to remember one very important thing, my friend ... it's not my call, and it's not your call, to "approve" or "disapprove" of the wing patch.  Our job is to salute and execute; other people above our pay grade make those decisions.  (I'm not disputing your right to an opinion or even to express it; I'm just sayin'.)

I for one will never wear this new patch. I'm going to continue to hang on to the old one, because I'm not sure if wing patches are grandfathered in. and if I'm called on it I wont wear a wing patch.

Again, since wing patches are optional, feel free to do whatever you like (and whatever your Squadron CC tells you to do).  Unlike some wings, GAWG won't hold a gun to your head and make you wear the patch.  Me, I plan to re-equip my kit with them as soon as they're available; I like the new design.  Once it's out there, you won't be able to hang on to the old one at all; there's no grandfathering such things.

GA wing is a hot mess right now.

Not sure which Georgia Wing you serve in ... the one I am in seems to be in pretty good shape.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

exFlight Officer

Checked Vanguard today. The new style GAWG patch is now available for sale. Im saving my current patches.

SoCalMarine

Look, I personally like the new patch. Yeah, I'd imagine that the patch we just switched from could just have been made to fit in the new Command Patch style design to keep people from getting upset.

The only issue I have is all the complaining. I don't know how some of these people will ever make it in the military (or if they were military how they lasted an enlistment) when everything in the military is constantly changing. Things change. Get used to it. Personally, I feel that the shape of the new patch is much better. It makes it more AF like. Have you seen some of the other wing's patches? Some have horrible shapes or design. I mean, some states look as if they belong in the Boy Scouts, or the 1950's, rather than 2011 as an affiliate of the USAF.

I've already made the switch on my uniform and thinks it looks great.

The CyBorg is destroyed

^^Agreed on that one.

I personally don't see the need for shoulder patches beyond this one:

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

SoCalMarine

Quote from: CyBorg on June 15, 2011, 03:49:32 PM
I personally don't see the need for shoulder patches beyond this one:

Yeah, I don't disagree with you. I like them nevertheless! I think that the different patches follow the Army/Air Force culture and history of wearing unit patches. I think it helps people take some pride, especially at national events. When I was at NESA last year I talked to individuals specifically because I saw what state they were from just to ask questions and so on.