Team Building Exercises

Started by ES Ninja, March 29, 2011, 07:17:12 PM

ES Ninja

This is more to be a resource for cadets. One key part of leadership training is team building exercises. What are some of your favorite such activities? Try to list things that can be implemented at squadron level (e.g. human knot) as well as encampment (e.g. confidence course).

For example, mine are:
1. The human knot (especially with handicaps such as all members must have their eyes closed, may not talk, etc)
2. Obstacle/confidence courses
3. Lowering a pole (Have you ever tried lowering a hula hoop? That's REALLY tough!)
4. Indian runs
Sierra Larson, C/Lt Col, CAP
NCWG CAC Vice Chair
South Charlotte Cadet Squadron

jeders

If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

DC

Put this a distance away and out of view, then make teams of cadets solve it by sending one person down at a time to make a single move. More fun if multiple teams race each other to solve the puzzle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_of_Hanoi

im_not_a_sir

Hi im waiting to become the flight sergeant in my squadron and I wanted to know what lowering a pole means. :o :o

inactive123

My squadron does all of those  activities at our regular meetings. ;)
C/MSgt

krnlpanick

Critical thinking + Teambuilding exercise I did at our last meeting that went over extremely well is the NASA Lost on the Moon exercise. Google it, there are tons of copies of it on the internet that you can freely use. The first stage is an individual critical thinking exercise where the individual has to rate the importance of the items available to him in a set time limit taking into consideration the fact that they are in fact, lost on the moon. The second stage expands on that critical thinking exercise and includes an exercise in team building that puts the individuals into a team that must perform the same exercise as a group. The outcome is that different teams will take different approaches to solving the problem and in reflection afterwards will see the different methodologies for problem solving as a team, what works and what didn't work.

Aside from that, it is a fun exercise to do. :)
2nd Lt. Christopher A. Schmidt, CAP

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

ProdigalJim

Quote from: DC on March 29, 2011, 08:56:31 PM
Put this a distance away and out of view, then make teams of cadets solve it by sending one person down at a time to make a single move. More fun if multiple teams race each other to solve the puzzle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_of_Hanoi

Even more fun if you ask cadets to discuss the difference between an iterative solution and a recursive solution!  ;D
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

krnlpanick

Quote from: ProdigalJim on November 19, 2012, 12:56:11 PM
Even more fun if you ask cadets to discuss the difference between an iterative solution and a recursive solution!  ;D

>:D I'll make Mathematics majors out of you all yet! :evillaugh:
2nd Lt. Christopher A. Schmidt, CAP

ProdigalJim

Quote from: krnlpanick on November 19, 2012, 02:16:38 PM
Quote from: ProdigalJim on November 19, 2012, 12:56:11 PM

>:D I'll make Mathematics majors out of you all yet! :evillaugh:

Never! My son the PhD-math candidate has already tried and failed! When he talks about doing differential topology on submanifolds and scoffs that the compulsive application of transversality to get first-order regularity of intersection points can become silly, I instantly fall into a Ny-Quil coma...
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...