Main Menu

Black BDU's

Started by SII-117, March 28, 2011, 07:21:15 PM

SII-117

Am I the only one who thinks that if CAP wanted to be really distinctive, then the AF would let us wear black BDU'S?
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and good with ketchup.

AlphaSigOU

We already have blue BDUs - aka the CAP Distinctive Field Uniform - so why would we want to go to black BDUs?
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

SARDOC

Black has been pretty Common among Law Enforcement tactical teams...I don't think we should go there.  I thinnk we should stick to the blue...it's more commonly accepted in the Civilian Emergency Services community, it's worn by FEMA task forces, the US Coast Guard, Metropolitan Medical Response Teams...among many others.  But, the best part...we don't have to change anything...just wear the Blue one.

SII-117

If I had a choice between green and blue, it would be green. I think that blue is kind of smurfy. ???
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and good with ketchup.

RVT

Quote from: Sgt. Jack on March 28, 2011, 07:55:02 PM
If I had a choice between green and blue, it would be green. I think that blue is kind of smurfy. ???

Then you never saw the actual Smurf Suit!

http://wiki.cadetstuff.org/index.php?title=CAP_uniform_history#The_.22Smurf_Suit.2C.22_the_CAP_Utility_Uniform

Eclipse

MY EYES!   The googles do nothing!

(I still have this hanging in my closet for oil changes...)

"That Others May Zoom"

BradM

Quote from: SARDOC on March 28, 2011, 07:44:58 PM
Black has been pretty Common among Law Enforcement tactical teams...I don't think we should go there.  I thinnk we should stick to the blue...it's more commonly accepted in the Civilian Emergency Services community, it's worn by FEMA task forces, the US Coast Guard, Metropolitan Medical Response Teams...among many others.  But, the best part...we don't have to change anything...just wear the Blue one.

I agree with SARDOC. I have both the woodland BDUs and the Navy Blue BDUs. I wear the later when I have a beard. I dont see a need for black ones too.
BRAD MELILLO, 1st Lt, CAP
Finance Officer
Asst. Professional Development Officer
Brackett Composite Squadron 64
La Verne, CA

Major Lord

As a paramilitary contractor, I wore black BDU's. Not only they are really hot, but they show the slightest amount of dirt.  I did like black for maritime operations in cold areas, but the uniform is just not so great for garrison wear. Of course, they do look cool.....I can't see any need form them in CAP, unless we are assembling an OPFOR or something!

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

The CyBorg is destroyed

If I had my 'druthers, we'd have solid green BDU's.

It's distinctive (no-one in the US military wears solid green any more) and a nod to the old "pickle suit."

I'd also have an optional solid tan one for summer wear.

All would have dark blue grade and tapes, or better yet, just the aircrew-type leather nameplate, the way the USAF tried to do some years ago.  Think of the wear-and-tear that would save.

Failing that, though...I'd stick with the BBDU's rather than black.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

SARDOC

Quote from: Major Lord on March 28, 2011, 09:55:09 PM
As a paramilitary contractor, I wore black BDU's. Not only they are really hot, but they show the slightest amount of dirt.  I did like black for maritime operations in cold areas, but the uniform is just not so great for garrison wear. Of course, they do look cool.....I can't see any need form them in CAP, unless we are assembling an OPFOR or something!

Major Lord

Cool...OPFOR...sounds like a new path for Civil Air Patrol's Homeland Security Mission.  Sign me up!!!      :)

SARDOC

Quote from: CyBorg on March 28, 2011, 10:00:15 PM
If I had my 'druthers, we'd have solid green BDU's.

It's distinctive (no-one in the US military wears solid green any more) and a nod to the old "pickle suit."

I'd also have an optional solid tan one for summer wear.

All would have dark blue grade and tapes, or better yet, just the aircrew-type leather nameplate, the way the USAF tried to do some years ago.  Think of the wear-and-tear that would save.

Failing that, though...I'd stick with the BBDU's rather than black.

I'd stay away from "seasonal" Uniforms...get's really complicated and expensive.  I say Pick one and Stick with it.  Having worn DCU's I would stay very far away from anything Tan Colored even though commonly worn by Disaster Medical Assistance Teams...they are VERY Prone to dirt that won't wash out.  The OD Green would be great if it didn't mean changing what we already have....I'll stick with the Blue.

Eclipse

I can't see a single reason to move from the blue, 1/3- 1/2 of the members already have it, its distinctive and looks sharp
what properly cared for.

Our best bet would be to put everyone in that uniform for field work, including cadets.

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

Oh, I'm quite happy with the BBDU's.  I wear mine quite a lot.  The green/tan ones were just if I had my 'druthers.

I do think going to just the aircrew leather nameplate is a good idea, though.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Sapper168

For the safety minded this could be the official field uniform....

Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

Eclipse

Blaze orange or yellow makes more sense in the field than dark blue or camo, but with that said the vast majority of
members in BDU's never set foot in the field.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

LOL.. thats just great. You can hide and attack Linus while he's waiting for The Great Pumpkin to arrive.

Seriously, they make BDUs in that scheme? Wow. Hide in the Fall.

jks19714

Quote from: Ground_Pounder on March 28, 2011, 10:34:01 PM

The local constabulary might confuse a flight line crew with a jailbreak!  ::)
Diamond Flight 88
W3JKS/AAT3BF/AAM3EDE/AAA9SL
Assistant Wing Communications Engineer

cap235629

Quote from: Ground_Pounder on March 28, 2011, 10:34:01 PM

NOPE the new 62-1 specifies that all outerwear shall be ANSI compliant
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Eclipse

Quote from: cap235629 on March 28, 2011, 10:41:30 PM
NOPE the new 62-1 specifies that all outerwear shall be ANSI compliant

That is not what it says.

ANSI outerwear is approved over corporate uniforms only.

ANSI vests are the only thing approved for USAF-Style uniforms.

"That Others May Zoom"

cap235629

Chill I was being facetious!!!!

And such a design WOULD be a corporate uniform!
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé