Main Menu

Before You Click Submit

Started by MIKE, December 27, 2006, 05:23:28 PM

MIKE

Before you click submit please do everyone a big favor and check over your posts for broken BBcode tags... While you're at it you might as well proofread it and do a spell check. ieSpell  There is one for Firefox as well, but I'll have to see if it works with 2.0.

The broken quote tags can be a real problem.  If you don't have the tags right your response ends up quoted and we can't always tell who said what.

If you don't know what you are doing... Please read the help docs.  If they don't answer your questions, you can aways ask...
Mike Johnston

Hawk200

Clicking the little  "Preview" button goes a long way too.

mikeylikey

What happened to the spell check button?
What's up monkeys?

MIKE

Quote from: Hawk200 on December 27, 2006, 05:26:57 PM
Clicking the little  "Preview" button goes a long way too.

It never worked all that well on the Portal... Seems to work fine here though.
Mike Johnston

MIKE

Quote from: mikeylikey on December 27, 2006, 05:35:00 PM

I think we lost it in the upgrade... Jerry?
Mike Johnston

Lancer

Quote from: MIKE on December 27, 2006, 05:39:13 PM
Quote from: mikeylikey on December 27, 2006, 05:35:00 PM

I think we lost it in the upgrade... Jerry?

I've been wondering that myself for days. More like a downgrade if you ask me.  ;D ;D ;D j/k

whatevah

I had to change a number of things to install a security patch and haven't been able to beat the spellchecker into submission yet.   It'll return...
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Lancer

Quote from: whatevah on December 30, 2006, 02:59:39 AM
I had to change a number of things to install a security patch and haven't been able to beat the spellchecker into submission yet.   It'll return...

Yea! Spell Check is back!!! Thanks to whomever fixed that!

MIKE

Another tip:  If you are going to make numbered lists, either don't use numbers and parenthesis 1) ... Or click on Additional Options and click "Don't use smileys."  If you are quoting someone with a list like this, do the same to your reply.

Reason:  When you get to 8, you'll get this 8) in your list.
Mike Johnston

carnold1836

but seeing

1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

Is just so much fun
Chris Arnold, 1st Lt, CAP
Pegasus Composite Squadron

MIKE

Another tip:  Want to quote multiple posts in one reply?  Click Insert Quote for each post  you want to quote in the Topic Summary.
Mike Johnston

MIKE

Before you click the quote button ask yourself these questions:

• Is the post I am quoting directly above my reply?  If it is you probably don't need to quote the post.  If it is not, or you find that someone has replied while you were composing your post, you may want to quote portions of the post that relate directly to your comments.
  • Do I really need to quote the entire post in my reply?  Take a couple of minutes and select only the portions of the quoted post that you wish to comment on... Especially if you will only be making short comments.  Me too. or I agree. should be avoided.
  • Do I really need to quote this quote of a quote?  Don't chain quote.  Either pick the one quote that relates to your comment or just reply without a quote.
Mike Johnston

mikeylikey

Quote from: MIKE on May 29, 2007, 04:49:09 PM

• Is the post I am quoting directly above my reply?  If it is you probably don't need to quote the post.  If it is not, or you find that someone has replied while you were composing your post, you may want to quote portions of the post that relate directly to your comments.
  • Do I really need to quote the entire post in my reply?  Take a couple of minutes and select only the portions of the quoted post that you wish to comment on... Especially if you will only be making short comments.  Me too. or I agree. should be avoided.
  • Do I really need to quote this quote of a quote?  Don't chain quote.  Either pick the one quote that relates to your comment or just reply without a quote.

Ok!  Good Call
What's up monkeys?

RogueLeader

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 29, 2007, 05:17:12 PM
Quote from: MIKE on May 29, 2007, 04:49:09 PM

Ok!  Good Call
See what he means?

I hope so.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

pixelwonk

*Bump*

Looks like it's time for a refresher on quoting.

All quotes need to have a [quote] at the beginning and a [/quote] at the end.

Please use the preview button to make sure your quote is complete and makes sense.
If you mess up completely, just hit the back button and try your quote again.

"Keep CAP Talk beautiful. Please don't litter your quote tags."

MIKE

And if you don't know what you are doing... Please do us a favor and don't mess with the tags, and be sure that your reply follows any quote tags included when using the reply with quote option.
Mike Johnston

MIKE

How to post hella-long urls such as CAP Knowledgebase answers and other such links without breaking the forums:

Add an equal sign (=) immediately following the url in the first url tag.  It will look like this inside the brackets: url=  Copy and past the url you wish to use and place it immediately following the equal sign (=) in the first set of brackets.  Between the two url tags enclosed in brackets type something short but descriptive about the link, or use linky if you are lazy.

[url=http://www.hellalonghyperlinkthatwillbreaktheforumsbecauseitiswaytoolonggoeshere.com]Insert descriptive text for link here, or just use linky[/url]
Mike Johnston

MIKE

QuoteWarning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 60 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Check the date of the last post to the topic before you reply.  If you get a warning while posting that the topic has not been replied to in 60 days or more, reconsider replying.  However; a bump is typically better than starting a new topic if it is the most recent topic on the subject.

Don't be that guy who bumps a dead topic with nothing of consequence to add.
Mike Johnston

MIKE

Watch the Enter key.  Unfortunately SMF is not n00b proof and is does not auto format or clean up your posts on submit.

Watch for dead space from edits etc, and clean up your posts checking spacing and for bad tags before you hit submit.
Mike Johnston

C/MSgt Lunsford

For all those that have Google Chrome, it has a built in Spell Check. Nice to know that browsers now have spell check on them. Just waiting for Internet Explorer to get it  ;D

Wright Brothers #13915

PHall

Quote from: Lunsford on June 07, 2009, 10:25:15 PM
Just waiting for Internet Explorer to get it  ;D

ieSpell is what you're looking for then.

Mullins

Quote from: Lunsford on June 07, 2009, 10:25:15 PM
For all those that have Google Chrome, it has a built in Spell Check.

Yes, Chrome is great.  And thanks for starting this thread MIKE.
Cadet Senior Master Sergeant Ryan Mullins
        NJ-067 Bayshore Composite
               Bravo Flight Sergent

Allen

in the words of my squadron commander Major Frank E Merrill "He who sweats learns quickly" :)
C/SrA Dawnyale Allen
GLR-IN-802

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Allen on June 04, 2011, 11:13:34 PM
how do u add pictures???

you need to write:

[img]URLNAMEHERETHATSHOWSTHEIMAGE[/img]

Here's an example:

I want this to show up as a picture: http://colganmarketing.com/kill.png

I follow the code and do the tags listed above:

Allen

what if it isnt a URL its a file from the computure
in the words of my squadron commander Major Frank E Merrill "He who sweats learns quickly" :)
C/SrA Dawnyale Allen
GLR-IN-802

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Allen on June 04, 2011, 11:35:14 PM
what if it isnt a URL its a file from the computure

Then you need to find a place to put it online first.

Allen

C/SrA Dawnyale Allen
GLR-IN-802

EMT-83

Quote from: Allen on June 04, 2011, 11:44:29 PM
oh i c... thank you

Ironic that this is posted in the same thread where spell check is discussed.

a2capt

Just wait until a staff application is turned in with that kind of typing on it... and then they wonder why they never get an answer.

davidsinn

Quote from: a2capt on June 05, 2011, 05:14:37 PM
Just wait until a staff application is turned in with that kind of typing on it... and then they wonder why they never get an answer.

I would hope you'd have the common decency to let them know they are denied instead of leaving them hanging...Telling them why would be a big help too.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn