Main Menu

Boonie Cover

Started by c/LTCOLorbust, December 26, 2006, 01:46:59 AM

c/LTCOLorbust

I have been told that in ES and SAR training and missions you are able to wear a boonie cover(hat) does any one know for sure and have the reg on this subject?
1Lt. Joshua M. Bergland
Yakima Composite SQ.
WA Wing

arajca

NEC approved it three yearas ago. AF shot it down. Boonies are not authorized. Reference CAPM 39-1 for uniform headgear. CAPM 39-1 also states that it (CAPM 39-1) is sole source for uniform wear.

DNall

^ That's right... yet Wg CCs put out supplements that allow/require dif headgear. Cali for instance w/ the Sq numbered ball caps. I wonder if a Wg CC could issue boonies as authorized optional safety gear for GTs in sunny conditions at IC discression? It'd have to be approved by NHQ, not AF, and I find it hard to believe they could shoot that down, or that AF could object under the circumstances it's written.

mikeylikey

I will venture to ask why we need boonies.  I have heard alot of people say because of sunburn or to keep the sun out of your eyes.  My ansewer........wear a ball cap and put sunscreen on.  Thats how simple it is!
What's up monkeys?

DNall

The standard cover & sunscreen has always been fine for me. Others make a point about it, and frankly there are heat/sun conditions down south here where the reg may not provide for adequate protection & optimal performance. There's no problem with guard troops wearing one on the same mission with us, so it shouldn't be an issue for CAP. The AF is just concerned with it being abused.

arajca

Quote from: DNall on December 26, 2006, 02:53:38 AM
The standard cover & sunscreen has always been fine for me. Others make a point about it, and frankly there are heat/sun conditions down south here where the reg may not provide for adequate protection & optimal performance. There's no problem with guard troops wearing one on the same mission with us, so it shouldn't be an issue for CAP. The AF is just concerned with it being abused.
The NEC approved it as a safety issue. The AF didn't agree and said so. Wing commanders are authorized in CAPM 39-1 to authorize unit base ball caps.

MIKE

You can only authorize what you are authorized to authorize.
Mike Johnston

JohnKachenmeister

I keep one in my survival gear.  Call me a rebel.
Another former CAP officer

Chris Jacobs

here in oregon they keep the rain from running down your neck.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

MIKE

Just as a general comment, I like the looks of the desert style HAT, SUN, HOT WEATHER better than the woodland one I've got... The desert pattern ones have a somewhat shorter brim and don't have the camoing tape on 'em.

This:

As opposed to this:
Mike Johnston

DNall

Quote from: arajca on December 26, 2006, 03:07:58 AM
The NEC approved it as a safety issue. The AF didn't agree and said so. Wing commanders are authorized in CAPM 39-1 to authorize unit base ball caps.
Okay, I wasn't aware of that. I was under the impression it was requested as an optional uniform item, not safety gear like a protective helmet. My now auth goretex keeps the rain from running down my neck.

mikeylikey

Quote from: Chris Jacobs on December 26, 2006, 04:19:34 AM

So does a poncho.  Your reasoning fails.  Next!
What's up monkeys?

JohnKachenmeister

Mine is my old jungle hat from when I was in Honduras with the Army.  It isn't camo., it's solid OD green.  I also have my subdued oak leaf on it.  If you're gonna violate a regulation, be proud of it!

Chicks dig guys who break the rules.
Another former CAP officer

lordmonar

Quote from: mikeylikey on December 26, 2006, 02:45:13 PM

Well seeing how 39-1 does not mention poncho's either...I guess we can't wear them either! ;D
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Psicorp

Quote from: lordmonar on December 26, 2006, 06:03:16 PM
Quote from: mikeylikey on December 26, 2006, 02:45:13 PM

Well seeing how 39-1 does not mention poncho's either...I guess we can't wear them either! ;D

Just wait...they'll both be authorized before too long...in CAP Blue, just because the AF said "no".
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

MIKE

Ooooh... Feel the burn.  :o
Mike Johnston

Pylon

I always love these arguments.  "I wear [insert bling of the moment here] because it's a safety issue and so I can parade around wearing whatever uniform I want in the name of safety."  (as if the rest of CAP was running around completely unsafe for years without whatever unauthorized uniform accessory you've got)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

DNall

Sure.  ;D Yeah I really don't care about this item. Some people feel strongly about it & make a decent safety case for it. I symapthize. I live in a place where heat/sun safety is always on your mind & bigger threat than the spinny thing on the front of the plane. We had four athletes between 14 & 18 die in 6wks earlier this fall, all heat related in some form or other. It's hard for me to look at their argument & say there's no merit there, not when the I've seen guard commanders mandate the same item in the same conditions for that purpose. I don't want the thing authorized for regular wear (abused) & I don't want to go the underhanded route to get it cleared for the right conditions. I just think it's alegit case to make to AF w/a  good ORM behind it & if they say it's not worth the percieved down side, then ask them why not & try to mitigate, then if they say no then it's no.

MattPHS2002

I know I've probably come across as a proper $@@ in another thread but I have to ask, whats wrong with solid orange (the non mesh) baseball hats? Personally I'm not a fan of hats to begin with and when I get a hat I don't mind wearing I hate changing it.
1Lt Matt Gamret

NER-PA-002 Drug Demand Reduction Officer

mikeylikey

Quote from: MattPHS2002 on December 26, 2006, 11:02:04 PM
I know I've probably come across as a proper $@@ in another thread but I have to ask, whats wrong with solid orange (the non mesh) baseball hats? Personally I'm not a fan of hats to begin with and when I get a hat I don't mind wearing I hate changing it.

That orange crap is a crazy Pennsylvania Hawk Mountain throwback.  For years PA has tried to say they will only wear orange hats because of safety.  I have only heard the military laugh at members as they parade around in thier orange hats.  Not to mention that hat is more expensive than the patrol cover. 
What's up monkeys?