How do air shows benefit the general community?

Started by ElectricPenguin, March 02, 2011, 09:44:39 PM

RiverAux

No, I was not saying that such studies had to be done, just that I wouldn't go around throwing out statements about something that isn't backed up by facts.  If you all are comfortable doing so, thats fine with me. 

Major Carrales

Quote from: RiverAux on March 03, 2011, 07:11:52 PM
No, I was not saying that such studies had to be done, just that I wouldn't go around throwing out statements about something that isn't backed up by facts.  If you all are comfortable doing so, thats fine with me.

On the contrary, I, for one, would love to see date generated on the various reasons what will be presented there.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

HGjunkie

Quote from: Flying Pig on March 03, 2011, 03:32:54 AM
Air shows are done for the same reason cops do ride alongs.  And so I can buy a tshirt from a B1 bomber crew fund raiser that says "Theres no sense running, youll just die tired" with a big mushroom cloud.

And the patches. Can't forget replica unit patches.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

ElectricPenguin

Quote from: HGjunkie on March 04, 2011, 12:12:25 AM
Air shows are done for the same reason cops do ride alongs.  And so I can buy a tshirt from a B1 bomber crew fund raiser that says "Theres no sense running, youll just die tired" with a big mushroom cloud.

What would you do with that???

HGjunkie

Quote from: ElectricPenguin on March 04, 2011, 09:58:32 PM
Quote from: HGjunkie on March 04, 2011, 12:12:25 AM

What would you do with that???

Keep em in a patchbook, along with about several hundred others...
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

MO10

Airshows provide all those tangible and intangible factors previously mentioned.  In some ways air shows benefit the community similarly to events like Farm Aid, Rock-apalooza, and state fairs.  They also encourage fun, esprit de corp, friendship.  They affect each person in their own way.

Aviation enthusiasts, as I've seen them, seem to become almost fanatical in their love of aviation.  In some it also facilitates the opportunity grow/develop friendships and bonds that last a lifetime.  I see this during my annual visits to Airventure with my son.  For some the only way to really understand that is to immerse yourself in the event.

So, for me I think the real benefits are the intangible impact they have on the human psyche.

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: ElectricPenguin on March 02, 2011, 09:44:39 PM
Of course airshows are fun,  but just wondering, how would airshows benefit the community? (as in the people)

They're revenue for the airport, the municipalities, and charities.  40,000 people at 12 bucks a head less expenses is still a big chunk of change.  Last year the Southern WI Airfest handed out at least $100,000 to the WI Aviation Academy and other non-profits.  I can also imagine how $200,000 put into the municipal bank account can help legitimize an airport that might be eyed up for the chopping block, especially when the show is held in a smaller, tight budget town like many in WI are.