Your mobile Communications set up

Started by cap235629, December 28, 2010, 09:25:53 PM

cap235629

How about a thread with pictures of CAP Mobile Communications set ups?  I don't want to turn this into a "whacker" thread but would love to see what some other folks/wings have done for installations.

What do you say?
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

SABRE17

i drive a 2005 Subaru outback with all my GT gear in the back. I put a magnetic multi band scanner antenna and a vhf xmit/receive antenna for my ht1000. had to find an HT1000 to BNC adapter in order to connect the two but hey i get better coverage

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Slim

Quote from: SABRE17 on December 28, 2010, 09:37:24 PM
i drive a 2005 Subaru outback with all my GT gear in the back. I put a magnetic multi band scanner antenna and a vhf xmit/receive antenna for my ht1000. had to find an HT1000 to BNC adapter in order to connect the two but hey i get better coverage

And a radio that isn't technically NTIA compliant as a mobile (by attaching an external antenna and/or external power to it).  Which is what has kept me from acquiring a convertacom for my MT-2000.

I know, I know.  Good luck finding someone who will know this, and say something to you about it.  Then again, there's that whole integrity thing.

Slim

SABRE17

i don't see how that's NTIA in-compliant, that would be like saying snipers cant use scopes because the Geneva convention said they cant. (obviously not true)

SarDragon

Handhelds and mobiles have different NTIA specs. Attaching an external antenna to a handheld makes it a mobile, and in many cases the handhelds doesn't meet the specs for a mobile.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

argentip

The DCs have asked NHQ and the NTC for permission do add external antennas to the EFJ portables many times, and the answer always comes back as, "It will no longer be compliant if you do that."  This same ruling applies to all portables.
Phil Argenti, Col, CAP
GLR-IN-001

wuzafuzz

Rats!  I thought for sure I had some photos of the install I did in our squadron van.  Still digging and will post when I find them, or take new ones.

Since we had no supplies other than the radio, I bolted a 2x4 (painted black) to the side of the drivers seat base.  The radio bracket is attached to that.  It kicks it out far enough that it isn't smashed against the seat cushion.  The 2x4 was left large enough to accommodate a second radio or scanner.

I would have preferred to mount the radio between the driver and pax seat but that space need to be clear to remove the engine cover. That and my metal fabrication skills are non-existent.   :P   
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

wuzafuzz

I found the pictures shortly after the last post.  Why they were in a directory of family photos is a mystery!  :o

Sorry for the lousy cell phone photos.

Radio bolted to the side of the seat.  Crummy location but a decent operator can change channels without looking. 
http://flic.kr/p/96aodH

At least the mic is centrally located!
http://flic.kr/p/96aoca

Edited because Flickr URL's were driving me nuts.

arajca

Quote from: wuzafuzz on December 31, 2010, 03:20:34 PM
Radio bolted to the side of the seat.  Crummy location but a decent operator can change channels without looking. 
Yes, but the passenger/navigator can't. Plus you have to lay across the driver's lap to read the channel.

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: arajca on December 31, 2010, 04:02:53 PM
Yes, but the passenger/navigator can't. Plus you have to lay across the driver's lap to read the channel.
In our squadron's van the radio is located right to the front of the center console, facing up. It is really nice because even the passenger in the seat right behind the driver/TC (or whatever it is called in CAP that sits in the front passenger seat) can reach it really easily and even change channels if needed. If I were to mount one in my POV I would put it inside of the floor console so that it can be locked and hidden when I go to Wal*mart.

jeders

Looks to me like the passenger would have no problem changing channels. And why would anyone have to lay across the drivers lap? Fuzz, am I wrong that it's mounted to the inside (i.e. between the driver and passenger) of the drivers seat, not the outside?
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

wuzafuzz

Accurate points both.  Results of a no-budget "get it done yesterday so we don't fail wing inspection" set of marching orders.  Eventually I'd like to take the time to do better.  Post all those photos of your installs!  ;-)

wuzafuzz

Quote from: jeders on December 31, 2010, 04:22:05 PM

Looks to me like the passenger would have no problem changing channels. And why would anyone have to lay across the drivers lap? Fuzz, am I wrong that it's mounted to the inside (i.e. between the driver and passenger) of the drivers seat, not the outside?

It is on the side of the seat facing the passenger.  Other folks can, and have, changed channels.  I've toyed with facing the display toward the passenger.  Doesn't make much difference.

arajca

Quote from: wuzafuzz on December 31, 2010, 04:24:26 PM
Accurate points both.  Results of a no-budget "get it done yesterday so we don't fail wing inspection" set of marching orders.  Eventually I'd like to take the time to do better.  Post all those photos of your installs!  ;-)
Once I get the replacement van, I'll do that. The current van has 92K - 14K last year alone. Wing has said they're going to rotate it for one with fewer miles since we didn't get any new ones this year.

Spaceman3750

Any good way to set up the mobile EFJ's without direct wiring or permanently mounting?

SABRE17

i actually had an idea about that i was thinking about mounting the radio on a piece of wood, and wiring in a 12V AC car adapter and using a magnetic mount antenna then you can just put it on your dashboard or passenger seat.

cap235629

Check the specs on your vehicle's power point.  My Toyota has a rating of 200W max for all power points combined (there are 2). The CAP EFJ 5317 Stealth draws 50 watts dead key.  If it is an isolated circuit (as most are) you can use a cigarette lighter plug. Make sure the plug is rated for 10 amps. You will have to tie the small wire in to the main power wire, but it works.  I have been running this exact set up for almost 4 years without an issue.  My Wing DC who is also on the National Communications Team has inspected and approved it (although begrudgingly because not all vehicle are wired this way and he prefers direct wire to avoid issues with those that are not).  The key is to know and understand your equipment.
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP

cap235629

Quote from: SABRE17 on December 31, 2010, 09:30:58 PM
i actually had an idea about that i was thinking about mounting the radio on a piece of wood, and wiring in a 12V AC car adapter and using a magnetic mount antenna then you can just put it on your dashboard or passenger seat.

what do you mean by a 12V AC car adapter?

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on December 31, 2010, 09:27:14 PM
Any good way to set up the mobile EFJ's without direct wiring or permanently mounting?

See my post above, I have the radio "wedged" between my passenger seat and center console.  With the power plug and a magnetic mount antenna I am able to quickly move the radio to whatever vehicle I happen to be driving
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on December 31, 2010, 09:27:14 PM

Since these pictures we bought a digital power supply small enough to fit in the same case and with enough power for
two EFJ's.  It'll weigh a ton, but be much handier.

This is basically the preferred use of a mobile radio in your (our) wing.  Contact the DC for assistance.

"That Others May Zoom"