Main Menu

Handheld GPS

Started by JROB, November 28, 2010, 09:00:35 PM

Thrashed

Quote from: Eclipse on November 29, 2010, 12:29:13 AM
Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on November 29, 2010, 12:20:23 AM
I wouldn't really rely on my phone for my in the field GPS, running the GPS program tends to run a battery low pretty fast. While they can be a major help in the car and city, I would stick with an independent GPS for in the field.

Anything deserving the "smartphone" label allows for the changing of batteries.

I can't even imagine a modern manufacturer of a phone that wouldn't have that most basic feature, could you?  I mean who would be silly enough to drop money on something like that?
Over 50 million people are silly enough to drop money on the iPhone alone.  Add all the other smart phones to that. The iPhone has plenty of ways to add power.  I use the battery case which doubles the battery life.  You can even get solar chargers. I've also used it for SAR.  I have Motion X GPS, Accuterra Unlimited, and other terrain map apps. Add the phone, camera, internet, etc. then you have everything you need in the field. I also carry a compass, and a spare tire in my car.  ;)

Save the triangle thingy

abdsp51

I'd go with a Garmin or Magellen unit oh wait i think they are the same now if you can't get a DAGR.

cap235629

A smartphone is NOT a true GPS receiver. They rely on the prinicple of triangulation to operate. The phone uses the known coordinates of at least 2 cell towers to compute the location. In other words, no cell signal, no GPS...
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

davidsinn

Quote from: cap235629 on December 03, 2010, 06:28:13 PM
A smartphone is NOT a true GPS receiver. They rely on the prinicple of triangulation to operate. The phone uses the known coordinates of at least 2 cell towers to compute the location. In other words, no cell signal, no GPS...

Not true in most cases. My phone has a gps receiver. Most smartphones do these days. I used mine in a CAP aircraft with the phone in airplane mode that turned the radios off to record my track. It worked out great.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

jimmydeanno

Quote from: cap235629 on December 03, 2010, 06:28:13 PM

My smartphone certainly does have a "true GPS receiver."  One of the weird things about it was that the GPS chip came shut off, so the phone would use Google Maps, etc using the triangulation method (it was only accurate to like 1200 meters).  Once I turned the chip on it started pulling from the satellites and I got accuracy to <3 meters.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Eclipse

Quote from: Thrash on December 03, 2010, 01:56:40 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on November 29, 2010, 12:29:13 AM
Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on November 29, 2010, 12:20:23 AM
I wouldn't really rely on my phone for my in the field GPS, running the GPS program tends to run a battery low pretty fast. While they can be a major help in the car and city, I would stick with an independent GPS for in the field.

Anything deserving the "smartphone" label allows for the changing of batteries.

I can't even imagine a modern manufacturer of a phone that wouldn't have that most basic feature, could you?  I mean who would be silly enough to drop money on something like that?
Over 50 million people are silly enough to drop money on the iPhone alone.  Add all the other smart phones to that. The iPhone has plenty of ways to add power.  I use the battery case which doubles the battery life.  You can even get solar chargers. I've also used it for SAR.  I have Motion X GPS, Accuterra Unlimited, and other terrain map apps. Add the phone, camera, internet, etc. then you have everything you need in the field. I also carry a compass, and a spare tire in my car.

Of course, or you can just plug it into a car or the wall, but all those options miss the point of the iPhone, which is user experience.  Doubling the weight and increasing the thickness of any phone to give it more battery life basically breaks that, just as any of the
cases required to actually make a call ruin the one thing that is compelling about the iPhone, the physical design.

For the life of me I can't figure out why Apple continues to ship battery-hog products with integrated power cells that can't be swapped.
I realize that it makes it "easier" to squish lithium in the corners, etc., but their competitors such as HTC and Samsung now have form factors just as compelling and "pretty" as the iPhone's and they somehow manage to incorporate easily swappable batteries.

I have a total of 4 batteries for my phone (they are cheap), usually needing a swap on heavy days after dinner.  I carry one in the change pocket of my pants and never worry about getting stuck with a dead phone.

Quote from: jimmydeanno on December 03, 2010, 07:38:57 PM
My smartphone certainly does have a "true GPS receiver."  One of the weird things about it was that the GPS chip came shut off, so the phone would use Google Maps, etc using the triangulation method (it was only accurate to like 1200 meters).  Once I turned the chip on it started pulling from the satellites and I got accuracy to <3 meters.

Most phone GPS receivers are disabled out of the box for personal security reasons and to save battery.  Location based on triangulation is amazingly accurate and usually enough for the average navigation by car since many times they combine a data feed and mapping program to "guess" your location.

Most Android, WinMob, and I believe even the iPhone GPS receivers work independent of a cell phone signal or data connection, so as long as you have something to read the receiver (free app, map program, etc.) they continue to work.  Post-hotfix, my Vibrant, and the G1 before it were as accurate as my GIII+.

"That Others May Zoom"

HGjunkie

Yeah, I just got an andriod-based phone and it came with a GPS chip in it. Never use it though...
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Eclipse

Quote from: HGjunkie on December 03, 2010, 08:04:43 PM
Yeah, I just got an andriod-based phone and it came with a GPS chip in it. Never use it though...

GPS + Google maps is a major feature you are missing out on, plus many of the location-aware services like weather, etc., work better with GPS enabled.  Not to mention Skymap.

Also, anyone paying for Telenavigator?  I have a bridge to sell you!

"That Others May Zoom"

JC004

My phone uses BOTH methods.  Its settings make that clear and it certainly has a real receiver in it.

SABRE17

i know why we still learn how to use compass, that makes sense, but when will national put some sort of GPS use qualification into the ES manual? or will it remain something taught at the unit level?

jimmydeanno

Quote from: SABRE17 on December 03, 2010, 11:12:54 PM
i know why we still learn how to use compass, that makes sense, but when will national put some sort of GPS use qualification into the ES manual? or will it remain something taught at the unit level?

Compasses don't change based on model, manufacturer, production year, version of map used, etc.  Each unit may have a different GPS.  I can use my phone GPS without issue, as well as the one in my wife's car.  Programming the different ones in the aircraft is a pain.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Spaceman3750

Quote from: SABRE17 on December 03, 2010, 11:12:54 PM

Why? If you can navigate on paper you can probably navigate with a GPS. Adding GPS tasks would only serve to put an additional burden on small squadrons (like mine) to either buy a GPS, convince a member to buy a GPS to share, or jump through hoops to borrow a proper GPS.

SABRE17

what about suggested tasks for those using a GPS, like be able to do
this
this and
that

??

DakRadz

As a suggestion, it could work, but is really unnecessary. If squadrons/members have one, they will know and teach others how to work it.

Compasses are easy to use, have an unlimited battery life, and point the way north rather simply. Reading a map is taught to 9th graders in JROTC orienteering (who win medals against 4-year studs who sinfully compete in the easier levels)- it's very doable.

If a cadet is serious or even semi-interested in ground team, they will and can learn these skills.

HGjunkie

Quote from: DakRadz on December 03, 2010, 11:34:54 PM
As a suggestion, it could work, but is really unnecessary. If squadrons/members have one, they will know and teach others how to work it.

Compasses are easy to use, have an unlimited battery life, and point the way north rather simply. Reading a map is taught to 9th graders in JROTC orienteering (who win medals against 4-year studs who sinfully compete in the easier levels)- it's very doable.

If a cadet is serious or even semi-interested in ground team, they will and can learn these skills.
Heck, I learned how to do that in the Boy Scouts. It ain't rocket science...  :P
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Major Lord

The value of a GPS in SAR goes far beyond simply knowing where you are. The retroactive trail allows calculation of the probability of detection to a higher order. Also, the ability to mark waypoints to aid assistance from air units or additional ground units can be tremendously valuable. Now I don't say this to disparage the good old fashioned map and compass skills, but the GPS makes land and sea Nav a lot faster.....(plus, unlike paper maps, they don't fall apart when they get wet or have some senior member burn cigarette holes or spill coffee on it. )

Personally, I like the GPS 60 from Garmin. You can buy them for less than $100.00 at Wally-World, and they will navigate well enough for you to find your way home in the dark without falling off a cliff. (its also APRS compatible) It has no maps, but if you lose it you won't freak out.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

manfredvonrichthofen

Keep the GPS out of the task guide. Learning to use a compass is more important than learning to use a GPS. If you learn the GPS and it goes down, you can still get around because you spent so much time learning the compass and map.

Eclipse

A GPS is the functional equivalent of an electronic calculator, neither are worth much unless you understand the basic concepts behind their operation.

And just like an electronic calculator, there's not much point in going back to paper when the electronic version is available, because the
electronic version extends the capabilities of the user far beyond what can be done with paper.

The singular advantage of a GPS over paper and a compass is that the GPS will tell you where you are, which means anything you do from there is more accurate.

Most Android phones also have a real electronic compass which is autonomous from the GPS.  We recently found that they are, at a minimum, accurate enough for most CAP use considering the +/- 5° factor, but they would not be preferable over a real compass for orienteering.

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Lord

I am sure that all of this anachronistic nay-saying of GPS technology has been tremendously valuable to the original poster who asked for a recommendation for a hand held GPS that really stands out.....At least one or two people actually addressed the question. For whats its worth, I like Garmin products, and their manuals are in actual English!

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Senty7

+1

Since 1993, I possess/have possessed the following:  Garmin models 40, 45, 175, 45XL, 12, 12XL, 76, 76CSX, 60, and 62S.  The last four on the list are currently scattered among my various go-packs, while the others are trainers or have faded into the historical mist.  All have contributed significantly to ease suffering and reduce hardship. ("Saving lives" is a grossly overused phrase, but I digress.)  I, along with all the members of my unit, train and practice several times a year with map and compass as well. 

I've also had the opportunity to spend considerable time with a number of different Eagle, Lowrance, Magellen, and Delorme units.  Sold on Garmin for two main reasons:  Very intuitive to learn, and when you learn one Garmin menu architecture, you've essentially learned them all.  YMMV.  While I love my new 62S, my 76CSX, though a discontinued model, is still my favorite. 

(Too lazy to use the quote machine) A couple of observations:

Somebody expressed concern that requiring embedded GPS skill would place a burden on the unit to purchase or borrow a GPS.  Observation/Opinion:  Uhhh, yeah.  That's correct.  That's not a burden; it's an operational necessity.  If you have a ground team that actually moves outside the Base Camp, you need to have a GPS in hand and the skills to use it.  The use of GPS in SAR is the defacto industry standard.  Map and Compass capability is still vital and useful, but GPS has revolutionized the way SAR is performed.  I have not found borrowing units to meet the needs of a class to be a problem, but again, YMMV. 

Somebody else suggested that if ground team folks are interested or serious, they'll get GPS skills on their own.  Observation/Opinion:  Wait a minute.  You have regs that specify eight ways to Sunday the proper wear of the uniform (frequently in conflict with other regs), which are in turn debated eleventy-seven times ad nauseum on this board, but a critical skill to a critical part of your mission is essentially greeted with, "Meh, get it on your own.  Not our area..." Also, refer to above O/O.  GPS is everywhere in SAR, not to mention in Gramma Kabundy's Cadillac.  It NEEDS to get "officially" into CAP.

Finally, Major Lord (calling you out, friend) pointed to the improvement in PoD calculations due to tracking sorties with GPS.   :)  Yes, yes, yes!  However, one caveat needs to be stated:  Said PoD calculations must be performed post-sortie in the CP by the Ops or Plans sections using a four-step process that combines time-on-station, speed, the Effective Sweep Width of the sensor, and some sort of detection function to remove random error.  Field-estimated PoD numbers have been shown to be scientifically flawed (and hopelessly inaccurate) with or without a GPS, and that flawed method has been absent from the Air Force curriculum for decades.

Best regards,

--Senty