Main Menu

Handheld GPS

Started by JROB, November 28, 2010, 09:00:35 PM

JROB

The other day I was asked by my Group commander to do some research on what alot of people are using in the way of handheld GPS systems. As our ground team does not have one and is looking to purchase one. Does anyone use a system that stands out?

Thanks
Maj. Jason Robinson
Squadron Commander, Desoto Composite Squadron
SER-MS-096

"If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life"-Igor Sikorsky

HGjunkie

Garmin. The maps get outdated pretty quick though, at least where I live.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Eclipse

Garmin makes the best hand-held, purpose-built devices, however most decent smartphones have integrated GPS these days and
the need for a separate device is pretty small.

My Garmin III+'s are still ticking away quite nicely after years of abuse - sips batteries, takes fire hose rain, and easy to read.
Couple that with either Garmin Mapsource or Google Maps and it is a pretty solid system.

You don't need to spend an arm and a leg on a GPS, but IMHO, the typical $50-70 full-color, car units are not good for the field as the screens can be hard to read in bright sun, and sometimes they don't have the stuff we need like long/lat, because they are focused on moms who use addresses.

"That Others May Zoom"

manfredvonrichthofen

If you can find a PLGR they are the best in the world, very hard to come by since they are primarily a military item, but you can get them from the company (can't remember what that is). Not to mention very pricey. Other than that, stick with Garmin. They are tough accurate and reliable. Not much in the way of buttons, and the interface can get confusing if you aren't very used to it, but all around one of the best companies on the market. Be sure you get one that is updateable, otherwise you will be needing a new one every few years. Some have a USB port that you can plug into the computer and update. Most of the new ones are that way, just the older styles have the updatability problems.

IceNine

I use the E-Trex Color as a handheld device.  It's really nice for flagging finds, and other significant data.  It's not very effective at navigation however.  It does play well with robo geo and a decent camera

My Droid has Google maps now so I typically use it for road navigation.  But during a mission it can be distracting as it will interrupt you call to tell you directions. So my setup is an older Garmin with coordinate ability.  E-trex in the pocket, and phone as a backup.

The black and white units are very reasonably priced and are generally indestructible.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

manfredvonrichthofen

I wouldn't really rely on my phone for my in the field GPS, running the GPS program tends to run a battery low pretty fast. While they can be a major help in the car and city, I would stick with an independent GPS for in the field.

Eclipse

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on November 29, 2010, 12:20:23 AM
I wouldn't really rely on my phone for my in the field GPS, running the GPS program tends to run a battery low pretty fast. While they can be a major help in the car and city, I would stick with an independent GPS for in the field.

Anything deserving the "smartphone" label allows for the changing of batteries.

I can't even imagine a modern manufacturer of a phone that wouldn't have that most basic feature, could you?  I mean who would be silly enough to drop money on something like that?

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Eclipse on November 29, 2010, 12:29:13 AM
I can't even imagine a modern manufacturer of a phone that wouldn't have that most basic feature, could you?  I mean who would be silly enough to drop money on something like that?

Anyone with an iPhone  >:D

My blackberry storm2 has about 16 hours of battery life with the GPS running.  It works great.  If I'm in a real bind, I can change the battery.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

HGjunkie

Quote from: jimmydeanno on November 29, 2010, 12:49:27 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on November 29, 2010, 12:29:13 AM

Anyone with an iPhone  >:D

Change that to anyone with an iDevice.  ::)
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Persona non grata

The batteries in my compass last for a long time :D  I have yet had to replace them.
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: eaker.cadet on November 29, 2010, 12:54:55 AM
The batteries in my compass last for a long time :D  I have yet had to replace them.

But my batteries in my chemlight don't last forever. >:D

N Harmon

I have a DeLorme PN-30.

The convincing feature was the topographical maps it comes with. The only draw back is it loves to eat batteries.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

manfredvonrichthofen

I know it's a bit off subject, but for base ops, I would highly recommend using USAmaps. It is a USGS program that allows you to download and store permanently topo and aerial photo maps of the whole world. You do have to download each map individually but it allows for plotting points routes and teams. It uses both UTM and LAT/LONG. It is the closest thing to BFT that we can get without shelling out huge massive stacks of cash.

abdsp51

the PLGR is obsolete and has been replaced by the DAGR. Much easier to use.

manfredvonrichthofen

Yes, the PLGR has been replaced, that is why I only mentioned the PLGR, because as far as I have been able to search I can only find one DAGR on the civilian market. So it wouldn't do much good to tell someone to find it. Plus the one for sale is on Ebay, i wouldn't try buying it because I think it would probably belong to the Army and someone is trying to sell it illegally.

JC004

Quote from: N Harmon on November 29, 2010, 03:22:29 AM
I have a DeLorme PN-30.

The convincing feature was the topographical maps it comes with. The only draw back is it loves to eat batteries.

I have a DeLorme PN-60 (without SPOT).  It's nice.  Good for geocaching too.

Rescue826

I have a compass... what do I need a GPS for?

DakRadz

Quote from: Rescue826 on December 02, 2010, 11:33:21 PM
I am C/2d Lt Radz, and I approve this message.

Orienteering was a great sport while I was in it.

JC004

GPS receivers come with new features like global positioning.  All your maps - USGS quads or satellite if you so please in a handheld box.  Not a bad deal.  How much bulk would you have to carry and how much money would you have to spend on printed USGS quads and satellite imagery for a large search area?  It's also easy and fast to mark waymarks like the precise location of a search subject's shirt.  I have a fancy compass but it doesn't instantly tell me exactly where I am so that I can relay (or even automatically transmit if using a PN-60w) exact coordinates to base.

Thrashed

...to join the 21st Century!?  Why even use a compass?  If you go back far enough, people didn't use them to navigate either.

Save the triangle thingy