Officer Basic Course Opinions

Started by tmurphy, November 21, 2010, 04:19:34 AM

tdepp

I don't believe for a minute that the problem is the computer, or lack of ability to learn how to use one.

My parents are in their early 80s, and spend more time on-line than I do. A good friend of mine (aged 74) teaches computer classes at his senior center, and there's never an empty seat.

I agree. I know people twice, three times my age that can show me a thing or two about computers. I have no time or use for someone that refuses to try and learn a new skill. If they are willing to learn I will go out of my way to help them learn it.

My dad is 77 and has an iPhone. I agree with previous comments about not being able to function, or at least function very well, if you aren't willing to use a computer and utilize the online learning.  I'm not sure how much easier CAP can make it.  You can sit at home and on your own schedule take these and other training courses.  Pretty sweet to me!
Todd D. Epp, LL.M., Capt, CAP
Sioux Falls Composite Squadron Deputy Commander for Seniors
SD Wing Public Affairs Officer
Wing website: http://sdcap.us    Squadron website: http://www.siouxfallscap.com
Author of "This Day in Civil Air Patrol History" @ http://caphistory.blogspot.com

arBar

hey all,
Can anyone tell me the website for the OBC where I can login?  I need to finish it up in the next 24 hours.  I know its a blackboard site but can't find the domain.

There's a reason why I don't know but I'd rather not get into it.  Apparently the page is hidden from Google or something.

Any help please?

Thanks

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

arBar

thanks a bunch.  The house got broken into and my computer was stolen, and things were a mess.  I had plans to finish the OBC this week but got delayed by the robbery, so now I'm borrowing a computer trying to catch up.  I should finish it today.  What I think is wierd is that I couldn't find a link anywhere, and all my google searches didn't find it.  I did email the guy in charge but was concerned he might not get my message until it was too late.  Thanks again.

GroundHawg

What is the average time from begining to end to complete the course? I have to get the ball rolling on this and want to know what Im stepping into.

argentip

Quote from: GroundHawg on January 31, 2011, 09:16:43 PM
What is the average time from begining to end to complete the course? I have to get the ball rolling on this and want to know what Im stepping into.

I've heard of members completing it in about 8-10 hours.
Phil Argenti, Col, CAP
GLR-IN-001

meganite

Quote from: arBar on December 04, 2010, 05:13:31 AM
I'm half-way through it and am really enjoying it.  Wish I had the Block 1 material in a hard copy.  I think its got a good mix of psychology and practical exercises in it.  I think lots of the details are forgotten as soon as the test is over, and a better critic than me could probably find its faults, but overall I'm impressed so far.

You can always print out the PDFs ;) I agree, the information I've found mostly so far is good. The one exception I have found is the Effective Problem Solving lesson in block 1. Most of it didn't really seem to be about problem solving, and if it were instead the Effective Communications lesson, I would laud it as a brilliant work of irony. Everything else seems to make sense and actually be helpful. For a government AND volunteer-run program, I have been pretty consistently pleasantly surprised :) (I guess that's what I get for dealing with the school systems for years.)

meganite

Quote from: GroundHawg on January 31, 2011, 09:16:43 PM

Well, I'm lazy and by that I mean I really can't look at it for more than 2 lessons at a time. Usually it does take about the prescribed 30 minutes for me to complete each one, but then I'm actually reading the material, not just taking the quiz and doing a "search" in the pdf for each phrase to find the answer. (Wouldn't recommend the latter method, you know, you don't actually learn much. But I don't think I've taken longer than 5 mins on any one quiz.)

arBar

The first 2/3 of the course (there's 40 classes divided into 3 blocks), I took my time, spending alot of time reading, and then looking up the referenced manuals and reading them.  Its probably the best way to learn, but it took sometimes 30 minutes to an hour depending on the class. 

As my time was winding up I barely skimmed the lesson and took the quiz, looking specifically for answers, and it took me about 10-15 minutes per class total.  SOmetimes I'd have to retake a quiz, which is allowed, but that is definitely the faster way to do it.

So the answer is anywhere from about 10 hours up to 40 hours.  I think it is designed to be the equivelent of a 20 hour class.  Definitely alot of good material though.

DrJbdm

I have not taken the course, so I can not speak to a comparison between the old ECI-13 and the OBC. However, the problems I see with the OBC are twofold:  it's an open book non-proctured exam with no possibility of failure, since it is correctable to 100%. I would have preferred to have seen it a closed book proctored exam.  The other issue I see with it is that this course should have been the required course for promotion to 2nd Lt with possibly an additional course required for those going for promotion to Captain.

However, I am glad to see that CAP is taking advantage of the educational opportunities that exist using BlackBoard. That certainly opens up easier access to education for our members, but we should move away from the open book format on professional course exams such as the OBC. 

arBar

I do like the idea that the OBC should be a requirement for the butter bars.  But I'm glad they did it the way they did for the test.  It actually is a great learning tool, being able to retake it immediately. 

meganite

Agreed, it helps to be able to retake it or at least get the corrections from it. Would be better if I could talk to more people about it, but I'm sort of taking it on my own, and they don't have the student messageboard set up well (not easily for someone to jump in or anything). I agree this should be a requirement for butterbars.

Elioron

I really enjoyed the course overall.

I agree with the current requirements of Level 1 for 2nd Lt. though, and OBC for 1st Lt. While I personally had the time, there is a lot of things to go over in the first 6 months. For the most part, "butterbars" aren't going to be put into a position that really requires that much of them unless they are showing leadership, drive and potential - something the commander should be considering already. The first six months are more about acclimating and making sure of your fit within the organization. I think the goal of completing OBC within the first year is better goal.
Scott W. Dean, Capt, CAP
CDS/DOS/ITO/Comm/LGT/Admin - CP
PCR-WA-019

meganite

True, and well... I gotta admit, I was promoted last week, and still haven't had time to finish the course, so I guess your evaluation is spot-on  ::) Too busy doing other stuff.

GroundHawg

Starting OBC online on March 15. I will update my ever so important thoughts :D once Im done.