Officer Basic Course Opinions

Started by tmurphy, November 21, 2010, 04:19:34 AM

tmurphy

So I'm enrolled in OBC and was curious what everyone's thoughts are on the program?

I know I've run into a few spelling an grammatical errors, which sometimes disrupts the flow of reading for me. I've just completed Block 1 and I hope it stays this simple, or gets even easier (wishful thinking, right?). Anyhow what are your thought on OBC as opposed to the old way? What are some things you'd like to see improved?

TIFFANY J. MURPHY, 2d Lt, CAP
Health Services Officer
Livonia Thunderbolt Composite Squadron
GLR-MI-183

Persona non grata

When I took the old course(EC 13) the course books were horrible and information was out dated.  I think the new course is better written and geared in the right direction.  I think we have come a long way.
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

RLM10_2_06

I'm about halfway through Block 2 myself.

The spelling/grammar kills me, more so than I think it should. I felt like it was insightful and helpful all through block 1; now block 2 is simply turning into memorization of regs and other facts which, while helpful and relevant to the topics, doesn't seem to involve any thought. At first, I thought I was getting away from Level I Foundations, but now it's even being mentioned and re-iterated in block 2 of OBC! I can't wait to actually have an opportunity to sink my teeth into some material that involves synthesizing ideas and promoting THOUGHT, rather than a multiple-choice question.
-Senior Member, CAP
Former C/PVT, AROTC
Former C/Lt Col, AFJROTC
Former C/2LT, AJROTC

manfredvonrichthofen

I like the fact that OBC goes back into the foundations. I think it gives the chance to ensure that information stuck in the last phase. I hope that they add in SOME not ALL of level two learning into level three, only to ensure that our senior officers stay knowledgeable in everything that they have learned. It is easy to take a test, get a promotion, and then brain dump everything. It takes more to retain and apply the knowledge. I do think that OBC needs to be re-read for spelling and grammar to make it easier to read, all the grammar and spelling issues makes it hard to read.

spacecommand

I remember coming across a few spelling errors, however overall I thought it to be a good course expanding on foundations in level 1.  Gives a good overview of CAP and what its all about.

JeffDG

I used to get annoyed at spelling/grammar, but now I work at an international company, and deal with non-native English speakers on a daily basis...you learn to ignore it eventually.

jeders

I haven't had a chance to go back and do the new OBC, but just about anything has got to be an improvement over the old ECI 13.

As to the repetition of the intro Foundations material, you will see some of it again, many times. They put it in SLS, CLC, and I'm sure many other places. Personally I think it's a good thing to include previous material, how else are you going to build on it if you don't remember it. I know some of us get tired of it, like me, but others need that repetition in order to move forward with the new material.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

tdepp

I enjoyed the course and learned a lot.  I enjoyed having a deadline (90 days) to complete the course yet could schedule it at my own pace.  I thought it was an important part of my education as a CAP member.
Todd D. Epp, LL.M., Capt, CAP
Sioux Falls Composite Squadron Deputy Commander for Seniors
SD Wing Public Affairs Officer
Wing website: http://sdcap.us    Squadron website: http://www.siouxfallscap.com
Author of "This Day in Civil Air Patrol History" @ http://caphistory.blogspot.com

Rescue826

It was a JOKE.  Waste of my time!   Guess I wont be a captain.

Pylon

Quote from: Rescue826 on December 02, 2010, 11:32:02 PM
It was a JOKE.  Waste of my time!   Guess I wont be a captain.

Do you want to expand upon why you thought it to be such a joke?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Thrashed

I was studing the old material when the new course came out.  The new course is 100 times better than the old.  With time, I'm sure they will improve on the new course too.  If you don't get something out of the course, then you are doing something wrong.

Save the triangle thingy

vento

Quote from: Thrash on December 03, 2010, 01:40:18 AM
I was studing the old material when the new course came out.  The new course is 100 times better than the old.  With time, I'm sure they will improve on the new course too.  If you don't get something out of the course, then you are doing something wrong.

+1 
I was in the same boat studying the old material, the new course renewed my faith in CAP.

arBar

I'm half-way through it and am really enjoying it.  Wish I had the Block 1 material in a hard copy.  I think its got a good mix of psychology and practical exercises in it.  I think lots of the details are forgotten as soon as the test is over, and a better critic than me could probably find its faults, but overall I'm impressed so far.

SARDOC

I thought this class was far superior to the Old ECI13.  The Issue we are having now is our older Less Computer savvy members are completely befuddled about the whole process in taking this class in the current format.  Some have completely resigned themselves to only completing Level one of the professional development program and never getting advanced.  Since they can't finish this class they aren't even interested in pursuing the other requirements in Level two such as a Technician Rating.  It becomes difficult to motivate members when they can't achieve any recognition of any sort whatsoever.

JohnKachenmeister

I got the same problem, SARDOC.  I'm trying to find a time to get all the OBC students together with my squadron IMO for a group-study.  My HQ has 3 computers and wi-fi, so with the 3 we got and a few personal laptops, we should be able to get them through.  Also, they might learn something about computers, since if you are computer illiterate you have a tough time functioning in CAP.
Another former CAP officer

EMT-83

Quote from: SARDOC on December 04, 2010, 05:32:11 AM
I thought this class was far superior to the Old ECI13.  The Issue we are having now is our older Less Computer savvy members are completely befuddled about the whole process in taking this class in the current format.  Some have completely resigned themselves to only completing Level one of the professional development program and never getting advanced.  Since they can't finish this class they aren't even interested in pursuing the other requirements in Level two such as a Technician Rating.  It becomes difficult to motivate members when they can't achieve any recognition of any sort whatsoever.
I don't believe for a minute that the problem is the computer, or lack of ability to learn how to use one.

My parents are in their early 80s, and spend more time on-line than I do. A good friend of mine (aged 74) teaches computer classes at his senior center, and there's never an empty seat.

davidsinn

Quote from: EMT-83 on December 04, 2010, 02:48:12 PM
I don't believe for a minute that the problem is the computer, or lack of ability to learn how to use one.

My parents are in their early 80s, and spend more time on-line than I do. A good friend of mine (aged 74) teaches computer classes at his senior center, and there's never an empty seat.

I agree. I know people twice, three times my age that can show me a thing or two about computers. I have no time or use for someone that refuses to try and learn a new skill. If they are willing to learn I will go out of my way to help them learn it.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

SARDOC

Quote from: davidsinn on December 04, 2010, 03:24:53 PM
Quote from: EMT-83 on December 04, 2010, 02:48:12 PM

I agree. I know people twice, three times my age that can show me a thing or two about computers. I have no time or use for someone that refuses to try and learn a new skill. If they are willing to learn I will go out of my way to help them learn it.

I'm not insinuating it's beyond their capability, I'm absolutely sure that if the effort was made to do it, they totally could.  I've even offered to help get them set up.  But the whole process exceeds their "Pain Threshold" to unmotivate them enough to just not do it.  The impact this has in our squadron just happens to be some of our older members.  We have a few individuals that don't even have a computer and probably never will.

RiverAux

Quite frankly, if someone isn't willing to put in the time to figure out how to do an online course they are going to have significant trouble being a contributing member of CAP in a whole lot of different areas. 

But, keep in mind that the old ECI correspondence course was a major blockage and it was as low-tech as you can get and we managed to survive with a lot of people who never advanced in rank because they didn't want to do that course. 

Pylon

Quote from: RiverAux on December 04, 2010, 08:47:10 PM
But, keep in mind that the old ECI correspondence course was a major blockage and it was as low-tech as you can get and we managed to survive with a lot of people who never advanced in rank because they didn't want to do that course.

That's because rarely is CAP grade any sort of requirement to do things in CAP.  We're usually happy to have a volunteer who wants to tackle a duty assignment regardless of whether he or she is a 1st Lt or Lt Col.  I've seen Lt's as Region staff directors and Lt Cols and even Cols at the squadron level. 

With some minor exceptions for things like being considered for Wing or higher command staffs, attending a few select PD courses, and maybe a few other very limited instances, CAP grade is never a sole limiting factor. Especially since a 1st Lt could have completed a lot more CAP-specific professional development and have built relevant CAP experience over an instant Lt Col "Government Relations Officer special appointment" or retired military convert. 
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP