Honor Guard Shoulder Cords

Started by DBlair, November 18, 2010, 08:46:13 PM

DBlair

At a recent activity, Cadets mentioned that graduates of the (NCSA) Honor Guard Academy (HGA) are entitled to wear the silver HG shoulder cord as a permanent uniform item, regardless of whether currently involved in HG activities. Is this true?

I can't seem to find any documentation supporting this claim.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

HGjunkie

When I went to HGA, this is how it was presented to us:

Finshed white hat year: Can wear the cord for a year after HGA.

Finished blue hat year: Can wear cord for another year after HGA.

Finished red hat year: You have officially graduated from HGA, and you can wear the cord permanently.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Bluelakes 13

Not true.  The silver cord is synonymous to a blue beret or Hawk Mountain items, but with a slight twist.  They are all NCSA's and any items rewarded by that activity needs to be kept in that activity. 

The twist is that if a unit has a full HGA graduated Honor Guard, the commander may approve the wear of the silver cord at the event.

The cords, of any color, are not permanent uniform items and are only to be worn while training or performing in said activity.

HGjunkie

Quote from: Bluelakes 13 on November 18, 2010, 09:03:03 PM
The cords, of any color, are not permanent uniform items and are only to be worn while training or performing in said activity.
Cite please?
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: HGjunkie on November 18, 2010, 08:49:28 PM
When I went to HGA, this is how it was presented to us:

Finshed white hat year: Can wear the cord for a year after HGA.

Finished blue hat year: Can wear cord for another year after HGA.

Finished red hat year: You have officially graduated from HGA, and you can wear the cord permanently.
In my experience as a staff member and student, this is what was stated, along with "make sure your commander approves".
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

HGjunkie

Quote from: Tim Medeiros on November 18, 2010, 09:28:44 PM
In my experience as a staff member and student, this is what was stated, along with "make sure your commander approves".

Yep. Forgot that part.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Bluelakes 13

Quote from: HGjunkie on November 18, 2010, 09:21:59 PM
Cite please?

Cite what?  If you are not on a color guard, you do not wear a cord.  If you are not on an honor guard, you do not wear the cord.  If you are not on a CAC, you do not wear the cord.

My statement about permanent uniforms items means that if you decide you do not want to be on your unit's CG (or CAC), you no longer wear the cord.  It's not permanent because at one time you were a member of said team.

DBlair

Quote from: HGjunkie on November 18, 2010, 09:21:59 PM
Cite please?

To echo the above comments...

Gold - While on National-level CAC
Blue - While on Region-level CAC
Red - While on Wing-level CAC
Green - While on Group-level CAC
White - Winners of Wing-level Drill Team or Color Guard Competition, worn the year following the win.
Blue/White - Squadron-level Color Guard

There are also various cords that are sometimes authorized for wear at unit or Group-level (such as Cadet of the Year, etc.), or to designate a special role at an event/activity, but none of these are authorized for permanent wear.

Since you are local, I will make note that the only local exception here in FLWG, is that Cadet Honor Society inductees are authorized a blue/yellow cord for permanent wear, but this is only a Wing-level authorization.

Bluelakes 13

Quote from: DBlair on November 18, 2010, 09:57:32 PM
White - Winners of Wing-level Drill Team or Color Guard Competition, worn the year following the win.

Where is that authorized?

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: Bluelakes 13 on November 18, 2010, 10:03:23 PM

QuoteCAPR 52-16 4-5.b. Awards. Cadet members of drill teams and color guards are authorized to wear a white shoulder cord. The cord must be of the same style and shade as the white cord stocked for CAP by Vanguard Industries (civilairpatrolstore.com). Senior members will not wear NCC shoulder cords.

Interpret as you will, but it doesn't say "while participating as a drill team or color guard", only "members of...are authorized"

Same verbage is in the next paragraph for Honor Guards
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

DBlair

Quote from: Tim Medeiros on November 18, 2010, 10:07:08 PM
Quote from: Bluelakes 13 on November 18, 2010, 10:03:23 PM

QuoteCAPR 52-16 4-5.b. Awards. Cadet members of drill teams and color guards are authorized to wear a white shoulder cord. The cord must be of the same style and shade as the white cord stocked for CAP by Vanguard Industries (civilairpatrolstore.com). Senior members will not wear NCC shoulder cords.

Interpret as you will, but it doesn't say "while participating as a drill team or color guard", only "members of...are authorized"

Same verbage is in the next paragraph for Honor Guards

The NCC manual also mentions white cords being required at the region and national competitions. When I have more free time, I'll look further for specifics. I've been in multiple Wings and involved with various teams since the 1990s and it has always been the case that the Wing-team (and up) wear the white cord- some Wings even award the white cord as part of the Wing Competition award ceremony. I'll try to look for the specific authorization when I have a few moments to kill.

This KB answer also touches on it... http://tinyurl.com/2b74nvf

CAPM39-1:
The wing/region commander has authority to approve the following items for
wear within his/her wing: (a) Shoulder cords. Not more than one shoulder
cord will be worn at one time, and it will be worn on the left shoulder (see
Figure 5-2). Color to be determined by the wing commander, EXCEPT all
primary members of Cadet Advisory Councils will wear gold at the National
level, blue at region level, and red at wing level. (See CAPR 52-16, CAP
Cadet Program Management.) National Cadet Competition teams will wear
white shoulder cords.
Honor Guardsmen will wear silver shoulder cords; (b)
scarves; (c) white gloves; (d) white and black belts; (e) helmet liners. Color to
be determined by wing commander except that helmet liners authorized for
wear by members participating in emergency services missions will be white
and will be worn with the decal depicted in Figure 6-20

Bluelakes 13

My issue is with " worn the year following the win"   

If you are no longer on a team, you do not wear the cord.

HGjunkie

Quote from: Bluelakes 13 on November 18, 2010, 11:22:45 PM

Although technically these cites don't say that. It's a finicky grey area.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Spaceman3750

WIWAC and on my squadron's color guard, we only wore the white cord at competition or while executing the duties of a color guard. No other time. I'm not sure if it's still that way and I'm too lazy to look it up.

DBlair

The concept is that you are 'the team' until the next year's competition when the next year's team (winner) is selected.

Hawk200

Quote from: DBlair on November 19, 2010, 02:33:02 AM

The concept is that you are 'the team' until the next year's competition when the next year's team (winner) is selected.
So what happens if a person quits Honor Guard after competing? Are they still considered part of the "team"?

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Hawk200 on November 19, 2010, 07:36:31 PM
So what happens if a person quits Honor Guard after competing? Are they still considered part of the "team"?

Honor Guards don't compete.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Hawk200

Quote from: jimmydeanno on November 19, 2010, 07:39:24 PM
Quote from: Hawk200 on November 19, 2010, 07:36:31 PM

Honor Guards don't compete.
Clarified: What happens to a person that quits whatever function it is that allows wear of a cord for a year after they compete? Are they still considered part of the "team" that competed?

Eclipse

Quote from: Hawk200 on November 19, 2010, 07:44:45 PMClarified: What happens to a person that quits whatever function it is that allows wear of a cord for a year after they compete? Are they still considered part of the "team" that competed?

The key is "were" - and you can wear your ribbon, if you earned one, but not the cord.

"That Others May Zoom"

IceNine

There is a lot of painting outside the lines to make the picture "prettier" here.

If you can cit a reg saying you can wear the cord forever then you can.  If you can find a cite that says honorguard wears cords then they do.

If it is not specifically authorized then its not allowed at all.

A person is only a member of the honorguard while performing the duties.  Same applies for colorguard and CAC.

Show any reg that says even one cord is permanent, or sit quietly in the corner.

Our organization does operate like the court system where if it doesn't say you can't then you can.  It must be approved in writing or its not authorized. Period.

I'm sure in Mass or wherever Col Jett is from the cords and other paraphanelia are authorized as mentioned.  Outside her highly respected sphere of influence things are different.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4