Main Menu

Has Anyone Used This Pack?

Started by GTCommando, November 07, 2010, 02:37:19 AM

SARDOC

Not sure about this bag....But I caution buying anything from cheaper than dirt because their product quality leaves a lot to be desired.  I;ve bought three products from them and they were all substandard/defective

GTCommando

^ I agree, for the most part. From the reviews that I've read, most of their gear is rather cheaply made. However, the gear I've purchased so far has all held up pretty well. I've already received the pack a while back, and it seems to be surprisingly solid. As already stated it is a Voodoo pack, and though I haven't yet had the opportunity to train with it, I trust that it will hold up.
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Pathfinder Composite squadron
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

HGjunkie

Quote from: GTCommando on December 19, 2010, 07:21:45 PM
^ I agree, for the most part. From the reviews that I've read, most of their gear is rather cheaply made. However, the gear I've purchased so far has all held up pretty well. I've already received the pack a while back, and it seems to be surprisingly solid. As already stated it is a Voodoo pack, and though I haven't yet had the opportunity to train with it, I trust that it will hold up.
As long as the stitching doesn't randomly fall apart...
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

GTCommando

I finally got some pictures of my pack uploaded. Check them out under Gallery on my profile page.
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

kc0wqh

Not sure if you purchased a new one yet. Just joined this site so I may be a little late. I happen to have this pack for over a year now and it seems to be holding up just fine. Compared to others I have had it's comfortable too. No complaints yet!
Mike Opocensky, Maj, CAP
Nebraska Wing Director of Communications
Nebraska Wing Message Center Station

Turbine 33

Quote from: GroundHawg on November 08, 2010, 10:27:30 PM
Not a single person in my reserve unit likes the molle pack. We all still carry the Alice or Malice ruck when afforded the opportunity. I cant see spending the $ on a aftermarket pack when a med or large Alice pack with frame, straps, and kidney pads can be had for around $25.

This is the ticket! I completely agree. There is WAY TOO MUCH low quality airsoft junk out there. Get your self a Large Alice ruck in good condition and enjoy. They are simple, cheap and don't have zippers, which are a failure point. Yeah there are other cheap bags out there but they are weak by design. The Alice ruck is a strong design. There is a reason these things are ofter 20+ years old when you find them, they last! Take care of your gear and your gear will take care of you.
1st Lieutenant
Group 1 ES Ofifcer
Communications Officer
Jefferson 55

Jefferson 133

Stonewall

+1 on the large ALICE pack.  I modified a brand new one in 1992 and used it for the following 9 years in the Infantry as well as the next 19 years on CAP ground teams. I recently used it as part of a Cross Fit routine and it's still holding up strong.  It even spent 6 months with me in Bosnia in 1997.

Can't go wrong with a large ruck, that's for sure.  But I have used other packs in lieu of the ruck on several occasions.  It just depends on the mission.
Serving since 1987.

UpstateSAR

Quote from: GTCommando on December 17, 2010, 05:04:09 AM
UPDATE: All things considered, I decided to risk it and buy the pack off of CTD. Turns out, it was actually a Voodoo Tobago 3-day Pack, and it fits everything I've got quite nicely. I will try to post some pictures and specifics when I get time.

Thanks again,
GTCommando

after looking at the pictures that bag is the same exact bag as a condor 3 day assault pack that I bought from amazon.  I know that it is a condor bag because the same bag is on the condor sitehttp://www.condoroutdoor.com/125_3_day_assault_pack.aspx.  You, my friend, got tricked.

GTCommando

Quote from: UpstateSAR on January 13, 2012, 09:09:04 PM
  You, my friend, got tricked.

Yep. I'd kinda forgotten about this thread, but at least this gives me a chance to eat some crow. It turns out, the pack I bought on CTD really is worthless. I realized this fact after I put my gear through it's biggest test to date: Hawk Mountain. As soon as I got home, I went to the flea market and bought a full original MOLLE pack with side pouches, which has held up perfectly. My sincere apologies to those who tried to warn me about that pack on CTD. I had to learn the hard way.  :-[ ::)
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Earhart #15889

SARDOC

^^^ Thanks for Bringing out the Lesson Learned.  It took me the hard way to learn this too.  Cheaper than Dirt is exactly that Cheap...and what your getting might as well be dirt.

AngelWings

I refuse to buy anything from a website that says that it is cheaper than dirt, since most of the time it is all about the quality and not the price. I only buy military backpacks and gear for ES because they are designed for MUCH worse conditions than I will ever put them through. If it is designed to be ripped at by barbed wire and bullets, I am certain it can survive thorn bushes and flying insects. Also, a great deal of the military bags I have seen are reasonably priced and well adaptable for ES situations.

NM SAR

The number of people recommending the Big Green Wart (ALICE pack) actually kind of scares me....

ALICE was designed in Vietnam. yes, it's durable, but that, in my opinion, is it's single redeeming feature. okay, and it's cheap, but that's because it's obsolete. it's mostly made up of a single pocket, top-loading sack. the piece if equipment you need will invariably be at the bottom of that sack. the straps make it difficult to open. it's designed to carry a lot of gear, but stay below neck level; good for a soldier trying to shoot prone, but it means the pack tries to pull you over backwards when you walk.

oh, and did I mention comfort? rather, lack thereof? terrible strap design, terrible frame design. Will send you to the chiropractor.

companies like Tactical Tailor and Mystery ranch make aftermarket suspension systems that make it a bit more bearable, but they're expensive enough that you may as well buy a better pack to start with.

it's 2012, not the 1970s. Do yourself a favor, and invest in a modern backpack.

niferous

I've been able to get my ALICE pack pretty dang comphy and it cost me very little.  Get one with the LC3 straps and it's a whole lot more comfortable. 
Any advice I give is worth exactly what you are paying for it.

RogueLeader

Quote from: NM SAR on January 23, 2012, 12:30:07 AM
The number of people recommending the Big Green Wart (ALICE pack) actually kind of scares me....

ALICE was designed in Vietnam. yes, it's durable, but that, in my opinion, is it's single redeeming feature. okay, and it's cheap, but that's because it's obsolete. it's mostly made up of a single pocket, top-loading sack. the piece if equipment you need will invariably be at the bottom of that sack. the straps make it difficult to open. it's designed to carry a lot of gear, but stay below neck level; good for a soldier trying to shoot prone, but it means the pack tries to pull you over backwards when you walk.

oh, and did I mention comfort? rather, lack thereof? terrible strap design, terrible frame design. Will send you to the chiropractor.

companies like Tactical Tailor and Mystery ranch make aftermarket suspension systems that make it a bit more bearable, but they're expensive enough that you may as well buy a better pack to start with.

it's 2012, not the 1970s. Do yourself a favor, and invest in a modern backpack.

If it is pulling you over, it is not loaded right. WIWOAD we had molle rucks that had the same ability to be loaded wrong,or be uncomfortable. Just because it is old does not mean it is out of use. Just because you can't see a use for it, it doesn't mean we don't.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

ThatOneGuy

I currently use the Voodoo 3 Day "Assault" (don't get stuck on the word) Pack for my 24 hour pack, and thus far it has served me pretty good. Large, tough, insanely modular. I only wish it had a few more small pockets though...

Turbine 33

NM SAR I agree however there's some issues with The TT and MR solution. Top tier nylon is way out of most peoples reach. It is always the better choice, most folks just can't afford it.
I my self have a Kifaru Zulu that is fantastic as well as an ATS RAID II in addition to several other packs. So I'm all about getting what you pay for.
However the large ALICE is time tested. CAP folks aren't humping a ruck day in and day out long enough to cause back pain.
The large ruck is too big for a 24-hr bag which leaves the 72-hr ruck. Which again is not humped around the search area. Load it and unload it in the vehicle. Haul it to your staging area and leave it.
Save your money for the high speed 24-hr bag. That's genome you're going to need the superior suspension an construction.

Just my two cents.
1st Lieutenant
Group 1 ES Ofifcer
Communications Officer
Jefferson 55

Jefferson 133