Squadron Patches: Sourcing Vendors

Started by A.Member, August 31, 2010, 08:16:23 PM

A.Member

Started to ask this question in the "Best of Squadron Patches" thread but it's probably worthy of it's own thread.

We're still looking for a quality vendor for our patches.  We had a local vendor selected but it turns out he just sends the work offshore anyway and he's been a pain to deal with (ie. tells us we're "too picky" - perhaps we are but we want it done right). 

I've done a little searching here but can you guys offer any recommendations?   I'm looking for first hand knowledge.

Some of our requirements:

• 100% embroidery
  • Plastic backing
  • Need to view and approve a sewn proof prior to production
  • Vendor must be able to use artwork in .PNG, .PDF, or .SVG formats - we already have the design
  • Thread colors should closely match those of the artwork (we provide RGB and CMYH colors) - thread preview ideal
  • prefer a vendor with some experience making military patches, although not a hard requirement

What about merrowed edge?  We're doing a disc with upper and lower rockers, will this be prone to fraying?

Other requirements that we're missing?

That said, who have you had success with (and likewise, who should we avoid)?   Obviously, price is always a consideration.   However, we are not in a rush, so timing is not critical right now.  Looking for some specifics around the recommendation as well (ex. why do you recommend Vendor A?)

A few vendors I'm aware of:
www.butlerpatches.com (I've seen some good feedback and a lot of negative feedback)
www.patches4less.com (some positive comments but I wonder about the quality after viewing their gallery)
www.custompateches.net (know nothing about them)
www.americanpatch.com (know nothing about them)
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Eclipse

We've had good luck with Butler Patches.

"That Others May Zoom"

A.Member

Quote from: Eclipse on August 31, 2010, 08:28:18 PM
We've had good luck with Butler Patches.
Thanks.  I'd like to hear more about your experience...

We considered them but after coming across the following, it gave us serious pause:
Butler Patch Reviews

Thoughts?  Other feedback?
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Eclipse

I've known of several units that have ordered patches from them, and have personally held the results in my hand.  They were beautifully done, cheap, and the vendor was easy to work with.

Of course like anything else, if they screw up a single order, they missed 100% of the time for that customer.

"That Others May Zoom"

capn_shad

If you get a quote from Butler, be sure to get them to commit in writing to what they are promising to deliver, and to clarify their "guarantee" on being the lowest price.  They refused to honor price quotes I had from other vendors claiming that they were not for "merrowed" borders despite the quote clearly stating that merrowing was included.

I'm not 100% happy with my last vendor either so I won't recommend them here.  (The work was pretty good but they also promised a merrowed border which they did not in fact deliver).
CAPT Shad L. Brown
Public Affairs Officer
Pueblo Eagles Composite Squadron

Pylon

I've had a good patch made with http://www.aeroemblem.com/  (see below for a photo of the result).  Just make sure you specify with them that they cannot run some of their own and sell your patch on eBay and collector websites.  They will if you don't specify not to.

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

IceNine

I had great results w/ butler.  3 days from imaging to high res photo of the sample.  3 weeks from sample approval in hand delivery.  I didn't shop hard because being a group hq chances are we will never reorder patches and $0.10 per amounted to $10.  Quality is great and posted in best of patches thread. 

I made them send me a quote and then invoice prior to payment.

I did everything electronically and never had to "talk" to anyone.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

biomed441

I just finished placing an order with www.patches4less.com .  I havn't seen the product yet though from the examples and  testimonials from others their quality is great. They also have increadible and fast customer service.

LTC Don

I only post this because I spent a little bit of time this morning looking at the links provided so far, and to look at other sources.

This link I'm posting is to an apparel clearinghouse of businesses still doing manufacturing in the United States.  There should be several patch embroiderers listed (I saw one in the A's that looked promising, and they had a Florida Cadet Programs patch on their custom page that looked nice).

http://www.apparelsearch.com/america.htm

If I could get a good price on a good quality patch, sewn here in the USA, I'd sure be looking hard at it.

HTH, YMMV

Cheers,
Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

Bayareaflyer 44

I too have had good results with Butler.
A word of caution - proof the JPG they generate carefully!  They will get it close the first time, but in many cases miss small details.  We had to go back an forth many times to get things just right, but when they finally did - they did a great job!
I would use them again.

Earhart #2546
GRW     #3418

Mustang

www.moritzembroidery.com

--Made in USA (Pennsylvania)
--Competitive prices (for domestically-made; don't expect them to compete with China/Taiwan prices)
--Excellent product
--Excellent customer service
--Will send a scan of a fully-embroidered sample for approval
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

Mustang

Quote from: Pylon on September 01, 2010, 01:55:55 AM

A word to the wise: when going with any patch shape that has tabs or other sharp angles, specify cut-edge rather than merrowed border as in the above example.  Having part of the disc border embroidered and part merrowed looks terrible IMHO.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

Pylon

Quote from: Mustang on September 03, 2010, 02:19:29 AM
A word to the wise: when going with any patch shape that has tabs or other sharp angles, specify cut-edge rather than merrowed border as in the above example.  Having part of the disc border embroidered and part merrowed looks terrible IMHO.

Yep. A lesson learned.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

JC004

Quote from: Mustang on September 03, 2010, 02:16:18 AM
www.moritzembroidery.com

--Competitive prices (for domestically-made; don't expect them to compete with China/Taiwan prices)
--Excellent product

I have heard good things about them from PAWG units.

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: A.Member on August 31, 2010, 08:16:23 PM
A few vendors I'm aware of:
www.butlerpatches.com
www.patches4less.com
www.custompateches.net
www.americanpatch.com
My suggestion is to also look at "local" vendors in your area. Try to keep business in your state or specific local area.
RM

Eclipse

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on September 05, 2010, 04:41:40 AM
My suggestion is to also look at "local" vendors in your area. Try to keep business in your state or specific local area.

Unless they show you the machines in the back room that will do the work, "local" shops will just farm the order out
to the same PAC-RIM vendors you can order from directly, plus their markup.

Very few storefront vendors have the equipment to do high-quality mass production embroidery.  They can do corporate shirts,
or a gross of handbags, but patches are a different animal and take special machines.

"That Others May Zoom"

Mustang

Quote from: JC004 on September 04, 2010, 12:02:08 PM
Quote from: Mustang on September 03, 2010, 02:16:18 AM
www.moritzembroidery.com

--Excellent product

I have heard good things about them from PAWG units.
I've used them twice, once for a unit patch and they also manufactured the famous AUX ON/AUX OFF morale patches a few years back.

JC004

Quote from: Mustang on September 06, 2010, 06:13:32 AM
they also manufactured the famous AUX ON/AUX OFF morale patches a few years back.

I didn't know that.  Outstanding,  My favorite patch.  Consistent (uniform), not changed randomly and frequently - I like that.