MOLLE Color Opinions?

Started by SARTAC Medic, July 12, 2010, 01:10:24 PM

Gung Ho

Look for gear the wildland firefighter get, you can find it in bright colors

GTCommando

Quote from: IceNine on September 08, 2010, 03:03:01 AM
Apparently they sell guns ^

Ain't it great!   ;)
Yes, they sell guns, but you gotta admit, they do have a decent lineup of MOLLE gear.
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Pathfinder Composite squadron
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

Senior

What does the term "hardkewl" mean?

tsrup

Quote from: Senior on September 08, 2010, 08:08:18 PM
What does the term "hardkewl" mean?

A picture is worth a thousand words and all...
Paramedic
hang-around.

GTCommando

Something to add to my first post on this thread. Concerning black, it really doesn't work out too well for ES, especially if you do a lot of ground pounding, because of one scientific fact: DARK COLORS ATTRACT AND TRAP HEAT. I strongly advise everyone out there to stay away from black, as it can quickly turn into a safety issue.
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

SarDragon

Quote from: GTCommando on September 08, 2010, 09:57:53 PM
Something to add to my first post on this thread. Concerning black, it really doesn't work out too well for ES, especially if you do a lot of ground pounding, because of one scientific fact: DARK COLORS ATTRACT AND TRAP HEAT. I strongly advise everyone out there to stay away from black, as it can quickly turn into a safety issue.

Attract? I think you need to do some remedial physics reading.

Infrared energy is radiated by the sun, in addition to visible light and ultraviolet. Darker colors do not reflect this energy as well as lighter materials, and the material heats up. Cloth, and similar materials, because of their insulating qualities, do not conduct very much of the surface heat to the interior.

More here and here.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

GTCommando

Roger that. I knew black doesn't dissipate heat as well. I thought it attracted heat as well. Thanks for keeping me in check.  :clap:
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Earhart #15889

SPD6696

Most of the gear in the cheaper than dirt catalog is low quality airsoft gear.  It will not hold up to rough use.  If you are going to do rescue and search ground missions, the last thing you need is for your gear to do a hard fail.  Don't trade quality for cool-factor.  Whoever said wildland firefighting gear hit it.  Good call.  You get the option of high vis color and high quality.  If you are on a budget, hit the surplus stores.  Sportsmans guide usually has good deals on genuine mil surplus gear, as well. 

I've had hard fails on gear in combat, and it's not good.  I had 2 CFP90 packs fail on me, in Iraq and Afghanistan, and that stuff was issued.  There's nothing like cobbling your gear together with 550 cord and 100mph tape in the field.

All that stuff like Voodoo, etc is crap.  Does it look good?  Yup.  But it will fall apart.  DOn't trade quality for cool.
"You are
  What you do
  When it counts." - Steakley, "Armor"

"If you can't do something smart, do something right."

GTCommando

Quote from: SPD6696 on September 25, 2010, 01:09:17 AM
Most of the gear in the cheaper than dirt catalog is low quality airsoft gear.  It will not hold up to rough use. 

True, to a point. But take a look at item BJR-075 (apparently they didn't stop carrying them).

I've had this rig since Christmas of last year, used it in two states and on countless SAREXs. Haven't had a complaint since I bought the thing. almost my whole squadron uses exactly the same rig. The only difference is mine was cheaper.  ;D

Seriously, if you're looking for something to hold your 24 hour gear, this is the way to go. For $25 you can't beat it with a wooden stick.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemDetail.aspx?sku=BJR-075
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Earhart #15889

IceNine

Except you still have to wear a safety vest over it.

Safety vest =$.  So spend 40 and get an orange rig and move on.

My 12 years of CAP specific SAR says that if its a pita it won't get to play anymore.  You can ask my horribly overstuffed "island of misfit toys" and my credit card what works and doesn't.

It is incredibly difficult for the GQ in all of us to admit that sometimes function does outweigh form.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

SarDragon

Form follows function, all the time. Nothing new. Make it work, then make it look good.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

GTCommando

^ Roger that. You can get a safety vest at Wally World for $1.
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Earhart #15889

HGjunkie

Quote from: GTCommando on September 30, 2010, 09:51:59 PM
You get what you pay for...
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Spaceman3750

Not ANSI compliant, which according to national safety is what's going to be hitting the regs at some point. Besides, a $1 safety vest is hardly sufficient to ensure you are visible from a distance. At a minimum, the vest should have reflectivity for night use.

DakRadz

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on September 30, 2010, 10:14:24 PM

Not ANSI compliant, which according to national safety is what's going to be hitting the regs at some point. Besides, a $1 safety vest is hardly sufficient to ensure you are visible from a distance. At a minimum, the vest should have reflectivity for night use.
Then go for the ANSI 2 (or is it II? anyway) compliant $7 vest. Still not bad, and still from Wal-Mart.

IceNine

And still worn over top your ultra swish ballistics vest
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4