Visiting Washington, D.C.

Started by captrncap, November 29, 2006, 06:21:10 PM

captrncap

Has any squadron visited Washington, D.C.? What are the logistics involved in arranging that trip?

TankerT

Pretty much the same as any other trip.

Parental permission forms (I.E. a CAPF 31) for cadets... transportation... meals... lodging... and so on.

If you are going to try to visit anywhere that has special entry requirements, that adds to the list.

/Insert Snappy Comment Here

SJFedor

If you're gonna wanna do anything special like visit the pentagon, white house, anything like that, you're gonna need to start making arrangements months in advance. Talk to your congressman in the area, they can usually hook you up with some different stuff as well.

Wear blues, make sure all cadets and seniors look fantastic in them. Either that or civilian clothing. No BDU's in the NatCAP.

I'd recommend a day in the smithsonian air/space museum, as well as the one out at dulles. See if anyone in your wing knows anyone down there, I know a unit I was in, one of the cadet's brothers was an officer at andrews, got them in and got them a nice tour of the place.

Do fundraisers through the squadron, try to offset the cost for the cadets as much as possible. Makes it more enjoyable for all involved when parents don't have to fork over their left leg.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

CAP428

I thought I read in the regs somewhere that full service dress was required when touring the DC area, not just blues?  Is this correct or just "standard practice?"

SJFedor

No, it recommends the wear of "service dress", but by no means full service dress (especially in the summer, screw that noise!). Corporate alternative uniforms are also acceptable for seniors, and civvies are always good too, but I think it gives the cadets more of a connectivity to their surroundings when you're in DC. Arlington, stuff like that.

See if you can get a hookup to hang with the Marine Corps drill team, or at least go see them.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

DNall

Make SURE you go to arlington & see the changing of the guard. Talking to your congressman helps a lot, if you don't get anywhere on that, let me know & I'll try to put you in touch with someone. Actually, you might track down an email on our current Nat Vice commander & ask for any advice, assistance, or contacts she might be willing to help you out with. She's great on that stuff.

CAP428

I see now that cadets can wear blues, but just FYI, and correct me if there's been a policy letter since, but CAPM 39-1 says:

Quoteall CAP personnel touring Washington DC, as part of a CAP activity or
conducting CAP business in the metropolitan area, will wear the service
uniform, civilian clothing, or the blazer and slacks or skirt combination
and will be properly groomed. Senior members visiting the White
House, Capitol, State Department, or comparable buildings in uniform
will wear the service uniform with service coat (service dress uniform)
or blazer uniform. Cadets are not required to wear the service coat. In no
case will BDUs, flight suits, or utility uniforms be worn.

Unless there's been a policy letter since, which I will look for right now, the corporate uniforms such as the white aviator shirt/gray slacks are not allowed per this regulation as far as I can tell.

TankerT

Basically, they want adults in some sort of suit coat.  (I.E. Service Coat or Blazer.)

They don't require this of cadets due to the cost.

/Insert Snappy Comment Here

Bluelakes 13

Quote from: captrncap on November 29, 2006, 06:21:10 PM
Has any squadron visited Washington, D.C.? What are the logistics involved in arranging that trip?

Yes, last summer.  It was incredible, mainly due to our project officer's work.  She dealt with the finances, the constant calls to politicans for entry to White House, Pentagon, and Capital.  We spent half a day at different venues.  Lots of running around, but it was one of the highlights of my CAP career.

http://www.kalemis.com/cap/washdc/index.htm