Main Menu

Encampment 2010

Started by C/Amn Reuter, July 09, 2010, 02:43:34 AM

C/Amn Reuter

Hey everyone. How was encampment for you?

CAPC/officer125

Well, I am going to be the antagonist here and say: I haven't had Encampment 2010...yet...that is over Christmas break for me. However, here is how I think it will be: UH-MAZE-IN'. Just to say the least.

Anybody still needing an encampment or wants to staff an encampment in the dead of winter in Kansas, come to the 2010 KSWG Winter Encampment, aka 2nd KSWGCTG Encampment. Just putting the word out there.
C/LtCol Priscilla (Pat) Temaat
Eaker #2228
Earhart #14523
KS-001- KSWG HQ staff
2012 Joint Dakota Cadet Leadership Encampment Cadet Commander

viperred396

Oh boy did I love encampment!  the hours of classes weren't the funnest but other then that I had a blast.  PT in the mornings, spending hours getting my room ready for inspections only to spend 30 sec getting it ripped apart.  I cant wait to go back as soon as possible

Quote from: CAPC/officer125 on July 09, 2010, 05:30:35 AMAnybody still needing an encampment or wants to staff an encampment in the dead of winter in Kansas, come to the 2010 KSWG Winter Encampment, aka 2nd KSWGCTG Encampment. Just putting the word out there.

hmm sounds intriguing; any idea on how hard it is join staff and be from another state... such as possibly missing CESSnA and just getting logistics worked out?

Daniel

Quote from: CAPC/officer125 on July 09, 2010, 05:30:35 AM
Well, I am going to be the antagonist here and say: I haven't had Encampment 2010...yet...that is over Christmas break for me. However, here is how I think it will be: UH-MAZE-IN'. Just to say the least.

Anybody still needing an encampment or wants to staff an encampment in the dead of winter in Kansas, come to the 2010 KSWG Winter Encampment, aka 2nd KSWGCTG Encampment. Just putting the word out there.

probably applying my kswg buddy is gonna make me!

encampment twothousandten starts today for me!
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

CAPC/officer125

As far as applying for KSWGE staff, just go to the wing website (kswg.cap.gov) and go to the cadet programs menu and follow it to encampment. General staff applications open July 10th and close August 10th.
When it comes to being out of state, we had a guy from Georgia last year and about half our staff was from Colorado, so it is not a problem. If you cannot make CESSnA, there are provisions for you. Though, you will most likely have to be available for PIPER (which is about a month before).
Cadet Commander decision will most likely be out in the next week (I hope, since that is what I am applying for). The rest of the Command staff will be selected from there. CESSnA selects the rest of the staff and PIPER does the training...then ENCAMPMENT (DEC 26- JAN 2)
C/LtCol Priscilla (Pat) Temaat
Eaker #2228
Earhart #14523
KS-001- KSWG HQ staff
2012 Joint Dakota Cadet Leadership Encampment Cadet Commander

viperred396

thanks for the info.. and good luck on being the Cadet Commander!!!

Kerrbie

I've been to encampment 4 times. Basic 05, NCOA in 06, then staff for two years and applied for a third year of staff. Best experience of my life. As long as you do what your told and listen your week will be bliss. We did an obstilcal course my basic until it was shut down in 07. We had a repel tower, and rode c-130s and blackhawks. One year a chunuk. When the course shut down we did a missle simulator. My flight commander my basic was in the navy and paid her cap dues this month just to go to encampment that summer. We ended up pranking mostly charlie flight calling others names. Our own squadron commander stole our guidon. It's an amazing experience and you'll absolutly love it ----- as long as you do what your told. haha
C/2nd Lt Katheryn Kerr, CAP
Cadet Deputy Commander, Group 2
Carroll Composite Squadron, MD Wing, MER

Rafael

My Encampment 2010 was awesome, I had the honor to be the guidon. I was in the Foxtrot flight and the staff tried hundreds of times to stole my guidon, but they couldn't. I loved PT in the mornings. My bed was sharp and clean. I really enjoyed the encampment. Hope new cadets have the same experience :clap:! 

Pylon

Quote from: Rafael on August 02, 2010, 09:05:30 PM
My Encampment 2010 was awesome, I had the honor to be the guidon. I was in the Foxtrot flight and the staff tried hundreds of times to stole my guidon, but they couldn't. I loved PT in the mornings. My bed was sharp and clean. I really enjoyed the encampment. Hope new cadets have the same experience :clap: !

Thanks Rafael for reminding us with your enthusiasm why some of us do this.  :clap:

Glad to hear you enjoyed encampment!  Be sure to share what you learned with fellow cadets at your unit, especially ones who haven't been able to attend encampment yet. 
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

DakRadz

Attended GAWG Encampment 2010 as a basic. I've done the Navy JROTC version, but this was still extremely fun! We were able to do the confidence course, rappel off a rather high tower (<-- fun!!!), orienteer, and fire simulated rifles. The rifles were amazing- they recoil like the real thing, but you are shooting at a projector screen. Hooked up to a PC and also a gas system, feels like the real thing for the best practice you get without pulling out the live rounds.
I was an element leader and one of the few C/Chiefs there as a basic (I saw only two others ::))

I was named the GAWG Encampment 2010 co-Honor Cadet, which was really rewarding for me. As a result of attending encampment, I am now a cadet officer.

Overall, encampment has been the most fun event I've ever done, and provided me with great opportunities.
I really hope your mileage doesn't vary ;)

JC004

Quote from: Rafael on August 02, 2010, 09:05:30 PM
My Encampment 2010 was awesome, I had the honor to be the guidon. I was in the Foxtrot flight and the staff tried hundreds of times to stole my guidon, but they couldn't. I loved PT in the mornings. My bed was sharp and clean. I really enjoyed the encampment. Hope new cadets have the same experience :clap:!

Is it hazing to use a cadet as a guidon?  If not, this gives me new ideas...  >:D

EMT-83

Sounds like RST just got a little longer...

DakRadz

Didn't catch that at first! Nice one sir.

Guidon bearer******

BillB

If you have several cadets on staff as Guidon bearers, does that make it a Guidon Staff?
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

DakRadz

Quote from: JC004 on August 03, 2010, 02:48:52 AM
Is it hazing to use a cadet as a guidon?  If not, this gives me new ideas...  >:D

Oh. If you mean cadets can't be guidon bearer, well... Iunno about that one. Several basics were taught to be proper bearers at GAWG 2010. The D&C officer instructed the chosen cadets, and they (for the sake of continuity and proper training) stayed bearers throughout the week.

I need to find my sense of humor.

SarDragon

Read it again.

He said: "I had the honor to be the guidon," Not the guidon bearer.

Now follow along.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

HGjunkie

Oh, I *loved* being guidon bearer... That was an interesting experience.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

DakRadz

Quote from: SarDragon on August 03, 2010, 03:19:50 AM
Read it again.

He said: "I had the honor to be the guidon," Not the guidon bearer.

Now follow along.

Well that was my original thought. But then something made me think otherwise.... Gut instinct should be followed.

JC004

ATTENTION TO DETAIL!  That's what cadets were taught in my day!  That was back when we had LIVE ammo (no lasers) and had to march to the range, up hill - BOTH WAYS! 

USNASomeDay

Loved FLWG encampment! I was also the guidon (bearer :) for the week (Bravo flight).

I want to go back as staff for winter encampment, but, unfortunately, know next to nothing about the different positions of cadet staff. I should be C/SrA (if not C/SSgt) in time for FLWG winter. What positions would be open to me, and how would I go about applying for those positions.

C/SSgt Youngblood
SER-FL-169

DC

Quote from: USNASomeDay on August 18, 2010, 01:13:50 AM
Loved FLWG encampment! I was also the guidon (bearer :) for the week (Bravo flight).

I want to go back as staff for winter encampment, but, unfortunately, know next to nothing about the different positions of cadet staff. I should be C/SArm (if not C/SSgt) in time for FLWG winter. What positions would be open to me, and how would I go about applying for those positions.
They just opened staff applications the other day. As a C/SSgt you can apply for Flight Sergeant or a support staff position (DFAC, logistics, Public Affairs, etc).

Here's a link to the encampment website, more information is available there. http://www.flcadet.com/cp/winterencampment.aspx

Also, minor note: Cadet Airman is abbreviated C/Amn and Cadet Senior Airman is C/SrA.  :)

SarDragon

Yeah, I sent him a PM about that.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

DakRadz

Quote from: SarDragon on August 18, 2010, 02:39:07 AM
Yeah, I sent him a PM about that.

Poor kid was dog-piled then  ;D

BillB

Go to http://www.flcadet.com and see when Winter Encampment is listed. There should be a list of forms to fill out and the Ops order. Check weekly since the information is not yet posted.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

CAP.is.1337

Encampment this year was a wonderful swan song for my cadet career. I was there as the Communications C/OIC as well as a backup PAO and quite thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Each year I've been to encampment has been a unique learning experience, and I'm sure that going as a senior next year will be another unique challenge I am eager to undertake!

If you have the 10 minutes, take a look at the video we showed at the graduation banquet: http://vimeo.com/13343294 Gives you an idea of the fun we had!  :D

1st Lt Anthony Rinaldi
Byrd Field Composite Squadron – Virginia Wing

Earhart Award: 14753
Mitchell Award: 55897
Wright Bros Award: 3634

Майор Хаткевич

Every April for the last two years I feel like I should be somewhere. Then I realize that It's been 2 years since my last encampment. :(

vento

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on August 25, 2010, 07:23:23 PM
Every April for the last two years I feel like I should be somewhere. Then I realize that It's been 2 years since my last encampment. :(

What is stopping you from going to an encampment now?  ;)
Your experience would be valuable to lots of cadets and you will have  lots of fun working as staff.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: vento on August 25, 2010, 09:13:54 PM
Quote from: USAFaux2004 on August 25, 2010, 07:23:23 PM

What is stopping you from going to an encampment now?  ;)
Your experience would be valuable to lots of cadets and you will have  lots of fun working as staff.

In short: College.