Main Menu

Fun in C.A.P

Started by johnboy, June 23, 2010, 02:49:01 PM

PhoenixRisen

Getting to be in the cockpit of a C-17 while it was being refueled by a KC-135.

Being out on the deck of an aircraft carrier during catapult operations (video linky) - did this a second time, on the USS Peleliu, too.

A flight in a CH-47, and getting to play around with Marine Corps F/A-18 & C-130 simulators.

a2capt

^^^ Oh yeah.. he's not kidding either. :)

PhoenixRisen

billford1

It's late I'll try tomorrow.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Thrashed

I can honestly say that I have not experienced anything fun in CAP.

Save the triangle thingy

fyrfitrmedic

Satisfaction? Sometimes... but it's a real challenge at times.

Fun? Not in a long time, to be honest.

Way too much nonsense to deal with from time to time.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

cap235629

Quote from: PhoenixCadet on December 19, 2010, 05:20:10 AMBeing out on the deck of an aircraft carrier during catapult operations (video linky) - did this a second time, on the USS Peleliu, too.

Kind of hard to be on the flight deck of the USS Peleliu during catapult operations seeing as how it does not have a catapult  ;)  ;)  ;)
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

cap235629

Quote from: Thrash on December 19, 2010, 01:48:08 PM

Then you are doing it wrong.
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP

a2capt

Quote from: cap235629 on December 19, 2010, 06:05:14 PMKind of hard to be on the flight deck of the USS Peleliu during catapult operations seeing as how it does not have a catapult
I suspect that in the added 'excitement' of entering that reply, the cadet meant in much more broad terms, having simply "gone aboard" USS Peleliu during a day cruise of aircraft operations.

Which I might add is probably a lot more fun than the thrice that I'd gone aboard to track down the source of the rather strong carrier only signal on guard, each time to find it in the radio room. .. the third time being, "just have someone check the transmitter at the bottom of the stack". Sure enough..

nesagsar

My favorite was NESA advanced in 2004. I learned a lot there and it was actually a factor in getting my current job in emergency management.

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: a2capt on December 19, 2010, 07:37:46 PM
I suspect that in the added 'excitement' of entering that reply, the cadet meant in much more broad terms, having simply "gone aboard" USS Peleliu during a day cruise of aircraft operations.

...and we have a winner!

It was an after thought.  Simple mistake.

cap235629

it was a joke, hence the  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP

Thrashed

Quote from: cap235629 on December 19, 2010, 06:06:00 PM

I'm open to suggestions. I'm a senior member. What fun should I be having?

Save the triangle thingy

cap235629

Quote from: Thrash on December 19, 2010, 10:28:32 PM

If it all seems like a chore, then maybe CAP isn't for you. I get a great sense of enjoyment from ES and working with cadets in things like Honor Guard and Comms.
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP

SarDragon

Flying is fun. If that's what you do for a living, then I can see the "CAP flying is a busman's holiday" aspect, but I've never had that problem. The other fun part of CAP for me is the opportunities to "get on the stump" and teach classes. I used to teach the formal Level I classes, and now I teach ROA and SLS/CLC classes.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Flying Pig

Accompanying an SR-71 crew through their prep to fly.  We got to watch them brief, get suited up, sit in their chairs and get acclimated to their suits and follow them out to the plane and watch them do the pre-flight all the way to the grand finale of them roaring down the runway and literally (or at least in my memory) go straight up.  Pretty cool.  Location: For those of you in CAWG who recall Norton AFB in San Bernardino.  This was probably about 88'.  Later on, we got to do the same thing at Beale with a U2 pilot who had been a CAP cadet at some point.  Either that or the crew chief had been a CAP cadet.  Dont recall.

Maybe not the "funnest" but it was cool.  I even got a Habu patch :D

a2capt

That reminds me of flying into Beale, and doing our normal GA thing, we enter on the 45, report downwind abeam, get clearance to land.. and about 45 seconds later, still downwind,  tower comes on "CAP Flight xxx, Land now." Huh? We were #2 .. behind a U-2.

Oooohkay. Power back, drop flaps, turn, land.. On the ground, too late for the turn off, that we would have used had we landed as planned, because the aero club was right there at that end. Now the next turn off is halfway to San Diego.. and the controller is asking for expedite..  the aircraft practically flies again with the high speed taxi to reach the center of the field to turn off. About the same time, we hear "U-2 (uninteligible) go around" ... A bit later, there it went.  Right over the top as the mid field turn off neared.

In the end, after reaching the aero club we had a nice 45 minute or so "air show" watching a pair of U-2's (One single and one dual seat) to touch and goes. :)

caphornbuckle

My fun in CAP was the entire time I was a cadet!  Kinda went a little downhill from there as a senior but still enjoying it.
Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Thrash on December 19, 2010, 10:28:32 PM

Don't you think its fun to take cadets on a tour of a flying museum and answer their questions?

Don't you think its fun to socialize with your comrades after a meeting?

Don't you think its fun to fly?

Don't you think its fun to bring the CAP plane into an air show and show it off to the little kids?  (and their mothers... ;))
Another former CAP officer

manfredvonrichthofen

You know what? I can't think of a single thing that I have done with CAP that wasn't fun.